Is It Dead?

perezmaximus

Hi guys, I have a problem with my 67 Buick skylark. I wasn't using the car and had it parked in the garage, I would start it up each day until the gas finished. After a month I started it up and to my suprise it was slow and sluggish to accelerate. I changed points,cap and rotor, spark plugs and new gas, still the motor is sluggish. When I check there are only 2 spark plugs working on each side of the motor, so I changed the none working plugs with fresh ones and is still the same. Check if there was any spark to those plugs and yes there is.On the passenger side of the motor the 2 inner plus are not working and on the driver side the 2 outer are not working.It's a 300ci V8 and I don't know alot about them, hope someone has an Idea was wrong or should I accept that the engine is dead? The carburetor is about 6 months old I installed it new.If any one has any suggestions I would apreciate, Thanks.

These are not so sophisticated that 4 cylinders could drop out at the same time. You say it started, and I see you changed everything but the spark plug wires. I'd go there next. Also, how many miles are on the engine? Is it time for the timing chain and gear replacement?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These are not so sophisticated that 4 cylinders could drop out at the same time. You say it started, and I see you changed everything but the spark plug wires. I'd go there next. Also, how many miles are on the engine? Is it time for the timing chain and gear replacement? </div></div>

I don't know I have had this car for only about a year. But the engine looks like it needs a good overhaul.I was thinking of replacing with a chevy engine since it seems nobody make aftermarket parts for the 300 V8.I checked the cylinders that are not working and the plugs are producing a spark. confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure you have not crossed the wires. Double/Triple check the firing order! </div></div>

Just in case what is the firing order? And what positions are the cylinders where is the number one cylinder, 2, 3, 4, etc.? Thanks

Guest sixpack2639

I believe this is right but i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong. Carl

FIRING ORDER 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Distributor rotates clockwise.

.....................2 4 6 8

front of engine

.....................1 3 5 7

I don't know, If you're gonna Chevieize it, why not look for a Buick 401 or a newer 350 to drop in there? Besides, what aftermarket parts does a Buick engine need?

Please explain how you figure several of the cylinders are not working when you know you have spark?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know, If you're gonna Chevieize it, why not look for a Buick 401 or a newer 350 to drop in there? Besides, what aftermarket parts does a Buick engine need?

Please explain how you figure several of the cylinders are not working when you know you have spark? </div></div>

OK, I checked the engine to see if all the plugs where firing buy removing each cable one by one to see wich one would cause the engine to misfire.Then after I new wich ones did not do anything I replaced the plugs with new ones and the engine stayed the same way.The engine starts up even cold but does not have any power to move the vehicle, at least not very fast.It is very lazy and even sounds diffrent under acceleration.

Sounds like you might have one or more misfiring cylinders. Some parts you CAN get are distributor cap, rotor, points, and wires. Replace all the plugs at once rather than just a couple, and make sure they're gapped correctly--never trust "factory" gap.

When installing wires, be sure you find out the firing order and replace wires carefully. In case there's a crossed wire now, you probably should start from scratch. Find #1 and follow the firing sequence to place each wire in succession around the new distributor cap--in the direction of rotor rotation--to the correct cylinder. Make sure you identify how the cylinders are numbered, they can vary on different V8 engines--number 1 is almost always the front driver's side plug. Then, on most GM engines they go 1-3-5-7 from front-to-back on the driver's side and 2-4-6-8 on the passenger side front-to-back (note this is cylinder identification--NOT firing order). Put in the new rotor while you've got the cap off. When you're absolutely sure all the wires are properly installed, try again. If you still have problems, replace the points and set the gap to specs. Set the timing with a timing light. If you have a good (blue) spark at the plugs, you can leave the condensor and coil alone. For less than 100 bucks and an hour or so of your time, you've then eliminated most of the usual suspects for ignition problems.

Is it dead? Anything can be fixed with enough new parts and labor, but if you've got major compression problems from bad rings or valves, or other mechanical woes, you might want to look for a replacement engine as noted earlier. A 401 would probably not be a direct swap, as it's an earlier "nailhead." In '67 the V8s were the 300, 340, 400 and 430--so you've got the "little pup" and can upgrade with a swap to something bigger and quite a bit more powerful. I believe the Skylark was available stock with all but the 430. Probably MUCH easier and definitely more desirable to stick with a Buick engine.

I might be telling you stuff you already know, but better too much information than not enough. Hope it helps!

After verifying firing order you will need to check the condition and settings of the points and condenser if they haven't been replaced. Also check the timing as recommended by the factory manual (after setting the points).

Many times though when a car is lacking power from a dead stop the vacuum advance is faulty. When faulty it won't advance the timing and the car will run like a slug. This is very easy to check with a vacuum tester and somewhat easy to replace.

The thing is this is most strange.If I remove spark plug cables 1,4,6,7 the engine runs the same way if the cables where connected, it even starts the same way.It seems only cylinders 2,3,5,8 are working. Checked cables they are good I installed them new about 8 months ago.But one thing is that when I checked the spark it was not blue but redish on all the cables. Removed carburetor and put in a new intake manifold gasket just incase.Removed the valve covers to make sure all valves where moving.Don't know what else to do, I have never worked on a buick engine but it can't be much diffrent than other engines?Anyway I really thank you guys for your suggestions.

Ok, let's keep it simple and check and do one thing at a time: You need 3 things to make an engine run. fuel, compression, and ignition. Previous posts have given good info on ignition. Do a compression check to be sure it is adequate and even, then report back with the numbers.

Willie

Fixed it about 2 hours ago.I checked everything exept the one thing I didn't want to check,The Carburetor!It seems that this buick newbie left the car sitting in the garage with gas in the carb.This as you all know and I found out the hard way turned the gas foul and created a white slime wich was hardening in the bottom of the carb bowl.I took the carb apart and one of the jets was clogged, this explains why only 4 cylinders where working. Cleaned it put it back together and started up like nothing ever happened.It is woking better than before since I gave it a complete tune up. smirk.gifThanks guys for your help. grin.gif

Guest ZondaC12

yup, great feeling, isnt it?

man, screw carburetors. all they do is mess stuff up. ima drill a hole in the side of my intake and shove the fuel line in there! problem solved shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif