Debate to restore my 1941 Dodge Luxury Liner

Panago

Hi

I have a 1941 Dodge Luxury Liner, that I inherited. This vehicle was stored for 12 years during which the car was not even started. When I towed it to a mechanic to determine what was required to make it road worthy, he advised the engine is ceased ( in addition to the fact that it needs new brakes and clutch).

I have a number of questions: 1- How can I locate a shop that specialized in old Dodge/Classic cars to determine what the cost to rebuild the engine is? (I live in Toronto, Canada). 2- Does anyone know what the approximate cost for this would be, and if so, is it worth it?

Any and all help is truly appreciated as I didn't think I was inheriting a car with this many problems.

Thanks,

Hi, I guess this whole thing boils down to how nice you want to get the car. Sometimes you get what you pay for, but there may be cases where it wouldn't take much to get the car in desirable running condition without having to completely go through the engine. At this point the choice is yours.

The 1941 Dodge is not a very common car, but I can't say that it is a highly sought after car either. We have both a 1940 Dodge Luxury Liner, and we also have a 1940 Plymouth woodie. Mechanically your car is the same as the two that we have. Our Dodge is unrestored, but our Plymouth has never been fully restored. On our Plymouth, it cost us $3,500 to rebuild the engine, but it was hot tanked, and completely gone through. Yes $3,500 is a lot of money, but it also runs like a brand new car, and the more it gets driven, the better the car runs.

At this point, you need to ask yourself how much does the car mean to you, and how nice do you want the car to be. If you look at it from a financial standpoint, you might as well not bother. Most of us that have these things have invested more time and money than what the car is worth, and we're in the hobby because we love it. If you're planning to restore the car and think that you'll turn a profit, the chances of you successfully doing that, are slim to none. If you hire everything done, then I'd say that any hopes of any profit margin is gone.

While we're talking cars, we have our chrome done up at Cambridge Chrome which isn't that far from where you live.

• 9 years later...

absolutely, pulled mine from a crusher now has a rolling chassis. no rocker panels,interior ,lots of missing parts. put a 69 nova sub frame and a 79 firebird rear end. parts are so hard to find. got most of mine out of Canada. I have a 3 window luxury liner (original fluid drive) coupe. very rare but worth every dime to me. It will never be original but very few mods from stock look.

Edited by rpvought (see edit history)

The engine being seized might not be that big a deal. they can often be broken loose with no adverse effects. How does he know you need a new clutch when the engine is seized? I suggest you not rush into throwing money at the car but rather find some old car guys in your area and talk to them first. I'm also thinking your mechanic might not the best guy to listen to.

If the car was running when stored it's very possible that it could be made road worthy with relatively inexpensive brake work..............Bob

Just realized the post is 14 years old. And of course the jerk never returned after his OP.......................

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

The 41 Mopar 3 window is a favorite body style of mine and I follow these cars quite closely. You can get a very nice one for under 20k although they do not come up for sale too often. The Desoto and Chrysler may bring a bit more. The 8 cylinder Chrysler will bring even more. You will see running driving non show level cars for sale for 4-6k. There is one in Kentucky that has been for sale for a year, original paint, runs, some minor rust and it has been flipped and the new seller wants 6500. The flat 6 is an easy rebuild, and is fairly bullet proof, also easily modified for more power. However, a complete restoration of one of these cars will quickly put you upside down. If it has sentimental value then you can factor that in