60?-64 Full Size. What was this rasied area designed for?

BamaWildcat

Okay, on the driver's side of all my Buick there is this raised area between the battery tray and the horn relay. It is about four inches long, and has two areas pre-punched ready to be drilled. Why was this incorporated in the fender? confused.gif

I've never seen a factory overflow, so I can't image it went there. Was this just pressed in because back in 1961 a part mounted there or something?

Curiosity is killing the 'Cat. smile.gif

Arrow to what I am talking about:

whathere.jpg

Guest 1964 225 Roadster

I checked both of my '64 Electras, and it's there, too.

This is just from memory, but don't I recall part of the Cruise Control system mounting in that area?

I will look in my Shop Manual this afternoon, but it coud be for different years.

Another one of those unexplained "what's-this-for's"......

I know on the big cars the cruise control vacuum canister mounts to the firewall.

I know nothing mounts to it in model year 1964- I've looked at a thousand or so 1964's on eBay over the years, and have looked at other '64s.

I would like any input from 63,62,61 guys to see if there is something there in their model year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I guess even though your compressor is mounted there, there is no raised area? </div></div>

My car doesn't have the auto level control, but there is a smaller raised area in the driver's side inner fender for the compressor.

Here's a picture of another 67 with the level control option. (this option wasn't available as a factory option on the GS model, this car had it added by the dealer or later).

1967buickrivieramotorg1rf.jpg

Now a picture of mine without the compressor (the raised area is just a few inches beside the washer reservoir).

00000550cr.jpg

The Buicks with cruise didn't have transducers before 1968 (the transducer is the part located in the inner fender of the post-1967 B,C bodies and post-1970 E bodies).

Guest imported_Thriller

Joe - I will be spending some time with my '61 Invicta on Saturday and I'll have the camera with me. If nobody else can answer it, I'll try to see if I can figure out an answer to your question.

MY THEORY: That's where the power brake vacuum canister would be bolted down up to 63. The '64 cars carried on with them as there was no major model change on the full-size cars. I believe only the Riviera still used the same inner fender wells in 65. All the others had a big makeover..Steve

Philippe,

Thanks for posting the pics of the engine bay for '67 Riviera. I never did get to look under the hood of the '67 that was listed for sale here locally. Probably another example of a fella having second thoughts about whether or not his car was actually "for sale." confused.gif Did all the Rivs of this era have that snazzy air cleaner cover or was that only on the GS? (I should really hold out for a GS, since it comes with my initials on it!) grin.gif

Joe,

For what it's worth, remember that more than one B body would have used the same inner fender panels. So, the stamping could have been done for something needed by Olds or Caddy ( possibly even Pontiac ).

It could have also been something put into the stamping design that ended up not being used at all. Cheaper to leave the press alone and not use it than to redesign the press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Philippe,

Thanks for posting the pics of the engine bay for '67 Riviera. I never did get to look under the hood of the '67 that was listed for sale here locally. Probably another example of a fella having second thoughts about whether or not his car was actually "for sale." confused.gif Did all the Rivs of this era have that snazzy air cleaner cover or was that only on the GS? (I should really hold out for a GS, since it comes with my initials on it!) grin.gif </div></div>

Hi Guy,

Yes, only the Riviera GS (and GS 400) had it, in 67 only.