Winter Wiper Blades....

Roadster90

Costo has Trico Teflon Winter Wiper Blades in a 2 pack for 13.99 a pair.

Question is are these advisable for general all year applications....they have some sort of boot around the metal framework of the blade to keep it from freezing and the package claims that they last twice as long....any one experienced wtih these?

thanks,

Nic

I have used them in the winter. They lift at low speeds due to lots of wind resistance. They may not park properly due to the height.

0211400_450_CC_3b443.jpg

This is the new technology. Available at WalMart. They look kool and they work.

Guest joereatta

According to Click and Clack on Car Talk, they should not be used year round. Because of the extra drag they could be too hard on the wiper motor. I guess that would depend on what the prevailing weather conditions are in your area during the non-winter months?

Wal-Mart is also carring a "Lifetime" wiper blade. Heard it advertised on the radio. I believe they said it was silicone (wrong spelling?) and has three blades. Sorry I don't recall the name. I would want to know what the warranty specifies. For those of us that keep a car for a long time, that could mean never buying another wiper blade.

Had winter wiper blades on my Reatta. Don't know the brand name but they hung up on the lip of the hood when they went to the park position and the rubber boot deteriorated and fell apart in the summer sun. Otherwise they did an excellent job with snow and slush.

I called walmart...very nice country gal opened a package and read the warranty to me. When you buy the blades you must send in a registration card that will entitle you to free shipping of the old/defective blade or refill(I imagine the refill....not clear on that issue). They will then send you a new refill. Not bad I guess...wal mart is banking on folks forgetting or not wanting to put up with the hassel of the return etc.

Guest llaramie

Most all non-OEM wipers are thicker at the center that the OEM ones. This will cause a clearance problem when the wipers come to rest--they wont fit under the hood where the oem would come to rest.

I believe only OEM will slide under the hood to come to rest normally. Other types will nick the paint on the edge of the hood and come to rest above the hood's edge.

I am glad you posted that bit of info LLaramie. With new paint I need to research that some more....

Robert mentioned that above also and I didn't pick it up....

I imagine the extra thickness may be due to the extended applications?

Barney >>>> any comments ( best blade that won't cause damage) please?

In many applications you can just get a new insert, not the whole wiper assembly. My biggest complaint on the stock system is the blade rubs over screw heads on the trim at the bottom of the windshield and eventually creates a worn spot or distortion of the edge.

I agree. Rain-X or similar works well for rain, bugs, snow and ice. I use it on the side windows too and condesation will just roll off as speed increases. The blades themselves aren't any different but the rubber boot is supposed to shed ice buildup, and it does seem to help that, at least a little.