Having trouble finding simple parts

Guest TheDude

Guest TheDude

Hi,

I am having trouble finding simple parts for my 1953 Buick Super (322ci V8). Right now I desperately need a new oil filter, spark plug wires, battery cables, and possibly a transmission fluid pan gasket.

It is not a simple item but I also need a new battery.

Has anyone bought anything from Rock Auto?

I have tried several of the links on this website but I have not found anything to suit my needs.

Thank you,

Justin

everything you mentioned can be gotten from "CARS" 908-369-3666. Their attitude sucks, they act like they are doing YOU a favor by selling to you, but they do have what you need. Personally they are my source of last resort....Bob.

Guest my3buicks

Justin, you can try New Castle Battery Co in PA 724-658-5501 - they are a large supplier of antique & classic/collector car batteries - not cheap, but a reproduction of the original. You can also try contacting local Automotive Elrctrical repair shops, they can usually get you "specialty" batteries, I believe such companies as "Intersate" would make your battery and probably at a cheaper price.

AS Bob said, CARS should have everything else you need - I hate for one of your early Buick vender experiences to be with them, but if you need the things in a hurry this would be your option. The items you are getting should be OK from them, many items I got (and returned) from them for my 53 just didn't cut it fit wise or quality wise, but your items should be OK. AS Bob said, be prepared for attitude, they are doing you a favor you know crazy.gif

I like RockAuto's catalog format. Their listings go waaayyyy back too, usually with several different brands, which you might use to crossref with your local vendors or auto supply people (if you have any local people you might deal with).

I have bought a few things from them that I could not get locally (some NGK platinum spark plugs for one). As time has progressed, the older independent auto supplies have dwindled as have the number of jobber suppliers they have access to, not to mention the chain stores that have tried to take their place. End result, sometimes fewer choices of brands you can get, which is where places like RockAuto come into play.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest TheDude

I placed an order at Rock Auto for positive and negative battery cables, a fuel pump gasket, a carburetor gasket, and an oil filter element. I received an email from Rock Auto today:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately all of our warehouses were out of stock on CHAMPION Part #711431 but we can special order this item directly from the manufacturer.

This part is only available from the manufacturer in multiples of 5 - they do not sell them individually as you ordered. The additional 4 cables would cost another $25.36 that we would need to charge to your card.

</div></div>

All right, I do not need five of each...and why don't they put a note on the website to avoid this trouble? I could not get a hold of them today so tomorrow I will call them and cancel my order. I called Bob's Automobilia and placed an order there. Thanks for the suggestion Bill. smile.gif I called them and they asked me:

"What year are you working with?"

"1953" I said

"Straight or V8"

"V8" I replied

Then he went on and I wondered why he did not ask me what kind of car I had! crazy.gif I told him it was a Buick, then I found out that Bob's Automobilia is <span style="font-weight: bold">just</span> Buicks....That would have been nice to know Bill. wink.giftongue.gif

P.S. I ordered a voltage regulator and a few other parts for my Mustang on August 16, from a company in Texas. Today, almost two weeks later I called them to find out why I had not received my order yet...

"It hasn't shipped yet. We are waiting on the voltage regulator."

"When will it be shipped?" I asked

"Soon"

I emailed them tonight and told them I was annoyed that they did not bother to tell me the voltage regulator was out of stock. I need to make a show this Saturday and I need the voltage regulator! If they do not handle this in a satisfactory way they will lose a potentially "spendy" customer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi,

On 8/16/05 I placed order # 21052. I was expecting it to ship within one or two days and take approximately one week to arrive at my residence in Pennsylvania. Today, 8/29/05 I used the toll free number to ask a representative about the status of my order. He informed me that it had not shipped yet because the Voltage Regulator I ordered, C5AF-10316-A, was not in stock. I was relying on the shipment arriving in a timely manner, as I need the Voltage Regulator in order to drive my car to a show this Saturday, September 3rd. The representative informed me that the package would be shipped "soon." I really would have appreciated it if I was told the Voltage Regulator was not in stock, instead of waiting almost two weeks for the package to arrive and finding out that it had not even been shipped yet. I would appreciate the package being sent by a faster media in order to have it by this Friday, September 2nd, but only be charged for the standard USPS rate, which was my original choice.

Thank you for your time,

Justin </div></div>

Thanks for the help! grin.gif

I HAVE THE FOLLOWING USED PERTS FOR 1940'S BUICKS.ALSO CKECK AACA SELL FORUM FOR ID AND PICTURES ON SOME:

STARTER,GENERATOR, DOUBLE ACTION FUEL PUMPS,DISTRIBUTORS.CARBS,TRIM PICES,HEATERS WITH MOTOR ATTACHED,ROCKER ARM,HUBCAPS,ASH TRAYS,FOG LAMP.TRANSMISSION,39 HORN RING, plus others . CALL 7709458237