71 Big Car Owners - underhood color?

Smartin

It seems as though the previous owner of my car wanted the underside of the hood painted body color. I am wondering if this is correct or not. If it is, then I'll take the time to clean it. If not, then here comes the black spray bomb!!!

It is such a nightmare to keep clean. I like the way it looks, but I just spent an hour on it...and I only got the front 1/3rd of the underside clean. I'd really like to just unbolt the thing and take some soap and water to it.

I've attached a picture of the suspect.

I used to have a '71 Riviera & it was black or unfinished underneath the hood. I know that it was never body color though.

But....you know that different plants had different practices though... I think your Centurion could have been built at either Kansas City, Flint, or Framingham...I may have missed a plant...

Anyway, if you'll take note of the cowl body-tags on these cars...Flint was the only GM plant I know that didn't paint over them. Most cars will have some black overspray, but I've never found a Flint car with a completely painted cowl tag.

I just thought that was interesting.

Joel, the B-Body LeSabres and Centurions were built at Fairfax (Kansas City), Southgate (California), and Wilmington (Delaware). A handful of '71 Centurions were built in Flint, but volume production of Centurions in Flint occurred only with the '73 models.

In '71 and '72, Flint focused on building the Electra 225's (shared with Wilmington), all Rivieras, and many of the Skylark/GS cars.

Guest my3buicks

Adam, as I am sure you noticed my Centurion also is painted incorrectly on the under side of the hood - it will be black next year, didn't get around to the engine detailing yet.

I guess that settles it! smirk.gif Now I have to gifure out what I want to do with it. I suppose I could cover the engine compartment with a platic sheet...along with the rest of the car, and clean the underside up...then get some semi-gloss black for it. I also need to buy some insulation to replace the ratty old crap that's in there now.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

I think they were all black across the GM line. Under the hood of my old 71' Caprice, 72' Electra, and my current 69' Caprice and 73' Grand Ville- the underhood is black on all, as are the firewalls if I recall correctly.