Car Sputters !!!

BlackReatta

My Reatta just started to sputter last weekend as I was heading to a wedding in the Boston area. I had just done plugs and PCV/Breather element/harmonic balancer. I wa wondering if maybe the fool(fuel) filter could be the culprit??? Thanks for any help.

Don't know if your problem is in fact the coil pack, but do know they are prone to failure producing the symptoms your Reatta is showing, one of the best improvements I made is to follow Padgetts step by step procedure (tried to locate post this AM, maybe Padgett will jump in & direct to info) for changing over to a late model Delco system. Last Fri. I did this conversion @ a total cost of $20.00 and approx 30 min in time, my reward; improved performance, smoother engine operation, improved gas milage. You could have other problems not coil related but having owned a dozen or so of GM's bullett-proof "3800" I would start here considering the cost/reward factor of the other benefits gained not to mention that the Magnavox system is sub-par.

Guest Greg Ross

Used parts are a "crapshoot" NAPA has new for $347.50, that's the Ignition Module(Echlin) and 3 coils. GM will run in the 5-$600. range for Delco OEM.

If thats' an option.

Round coil are the Delco, I just came from "Advance Discount Auto Parts" buying new plug wires and had them check the price of the individual coils (thats how the Delco is sold, magnavox 3 coil unit is one pc) and individually the replacement coils for the Delco are $44.95 each X 3 equals $145.00, a far cry from those "telephone numbers" from GM, the magnavox replacement 3-coil unit was $50 or less. At a 150 bucks I can buy 7 used Delcos at the bone yard and pick-up a six pack of GUINNESS EXTRA STOUT, but being thrifty I opted for one at $20 and grinned looking at my checkbook balance,(remember when we were young our elders would say "A fool and his money are soon parted") ......once again, thanks Padgett!! cool.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

From Jeg's mail order we've been using Accel "performance" coils that are direct replacements for the Magnavox ones. They look like them too and we haven't had any problems. About $80 if I remember right.

Well I just replaced the coil pack and the problem is still there. I did notice that the harmonic balancer that I replaced a week ago is wobbling side to side,and I drove to the parts store and a new one will be here on Friday. I am also going to do the Fool(fuel)filer at that time too. Will advise what the outcome is.

$80 is decent......I would suspect that many a Reatta are sold at firesale prices due to the customer(no-nots) being put on the elevator by repair people when in fact it was a simple fix..............thereby driving down the prices of these cars as they then DUMP'EM. For folks owning a Reatta that have not discovered this forum,life must be verrrrrrrry painful!!!!!!!!!I say to all of the steady contributors to this site, "THANK YOU"

Maybe you could take a look at the MAF [mass air flow sensor] mine was bad and it was running poorly, stalling, ect.when I put a new one in what a difference,, maybe it just dirty too ....

i would go with u said, u had just done the plugs. check the wires, u know those back ones are tough. a wire could have come off . i would go over all what u did , eliminate that and proceed from there, hopefully its tht.

Is a bit high, GP/Sorenson module is about $100 at Advance, three coils are another $100. One reason to get a junkyard set (and can probably score 3-5 for $100) is you also get all of the hardware necessary.

For the $20 at the bone yard you are getting 3 Delco coils, if you get 2 ignitions as Padgett suggests, you now have 3 spare coils when one conks out,whereas when the 1pc. magnavax or its 1 pc. replacement dies you must purchase all 3 coils as they are one unit......besides the orig ignition is trash after 50,000miles. THRIFT THRIFT

Well I replaced the spark plug wire and it appeared that the problem was solved BUT>>>>>>> I notice that the problem starts when the car has been driven for a while. If it sits and cools down it will run graet, then about 8 miles into the drive it will start to hesitate and I can feel the draw back. Looking for any help Thanks

Well here goes. I replaced the harmonic balancer a few weeks ago and I noticed recently that the pulley was either bent ot misaligned. When I took the balancer off I noticed that the two metal sheilds that run in the crank shaft positioning sensor where,what looked like to me, out of line. I checked them against the old one and sure as heck they were. Well now that I have the new harmonic balancer in the car the "Sputtering" has stopped and the mileage has increased to 23.6 mpg on the highway. Oh I also replaced the crank sensor too.