Reatta Question...

Jibby

Well, I'm thinking of selling my Thunderbird to get some cash together to make my Reatta road worthy. I would assume that it needs a break job, which can get very expensive... and some other minor stuff. A tune-up would be nice for me, and the car, and the fluids have to be changed... it's horrible! For those of you who don't know, I got mine last winter... and the guy who had it, let it rot in his yard, under a pine tree, for two years.

Beyond that, I'm just wondering how reliable the cars are. I've never driven it any distance. I only checked it out, a few blocks around the place where I bought it. It was sluggish and stalled a couple of times, but I think that I've worked that out... it had been sitting for a long time. I'd really like to get it together for Batavia. I'm going to need Barney's headlight repair kit, or rather two of them, and a new driver's side window motor. As for the rest, I think that a few bulbs need to be changed, but after all is said and done, the car is "bulletproof". If I sell my Thunderbird, I will have no other car to use! So I really need some help with the decision. confused.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

We don't hesitate to drive our Reattas 200+ miles away from home, so I figure that they're reliable. Sensor failures can bring a Reatta to the shoulder but once you have a lot of them replaced (crankshaft position sensor, throttle position sensor, camshaft interrupter magnet, clean mass air flow sensor, coolant temp sensor). Then again, you can risk having a coil pack go bad (I guess even Delcos can but just buy a new coil for assurance) or the ECM or the power supply or the CRT or instrument panel, but sometimes you need to trust the car and don't worry about it until something actually does happen. Most likely it won't.

Pretty much, if you can drive around town without a CEL or something bad happening, then you should be able to go anywhere. Some bad things will just make it run kind of bad but not stop it (like the camshaft magnet)

There are other things but more general and apply to all cars of this age like water pumps, thermostats, alternators, starters, trannys, CV joints, etc etc etc for about ever

Before spending any serious money on the car, buy a service manual. You can get new ones from Helm or there are some decent buys on Ebay. Even if you have someone else do the work, you can read the manual and usually, by process of elimination, determine what needs to be done. Then when you take it to the shop, you will be better informed.

Just a side note, if you think the Reatta is expensive and difficult to work on, my daughter just purchased a used 1996 BMW convertible. Not a bad car but it has it problems too. There are lights on the dash that keep coming on and not a clue in the owners manual on why. It was also time for an oil change and the local oil change place could not get an oil filter and even if they did, they did not have a tool to reset the oil life thing on the dash. I could tell you more, but be happy with the Reatta.

i think the reatta has one major thing going for her. the 3800 engine is a durable workhorse of an engine. u can expect problems with this car that, adjusting for age, are normal but i dont think abnormal. i would think if the car was sitting for 2 yrs , all fluids , filters, and tuneups should be addressed . good luck

Guest MauiWowee

When I bought my Reatta in January, I drove it home from Michigan where it had sat for over a year. I did an oil change and added XM that day, and drove it to Mass. (through Milford) the next day. AAA, a credit card, and a cell phone was all the (un-needed) backup I had. I went from fascinated to infatuated with Reattas in less than 2000 miles.

So, Jibby, take care of the immediate needs, and DRIVE IT! cool.gif

Bimmah! BMW was rated very near the bottom of the list for problems per 100 cars. That means that they suck! They put out too many "lemons". The convertible is nice. I like the 3 series. Especially the 1996 model. But, unfortunately, they're expensive to maintain. If I could get a 3 series coupe in white, I'd be... well, I'd be popular... or at least I'd get the attention of lots of women... that is, until they saw my beard. Apparently, beards are uncool, for the moment. But don't worry, a goatee is okay... but just barely okay. But beyond that fantasy, I really don't see BMW, as being all that great. In my view, in any event. They have just as many problems as Mercedes-Benz and can be just as hard to get the parts for. I have no idea if the cars in Germany are as notorious, as the ones here in the U.S. I wish that I still had that list, but I do know, that Lincoln was the worst. BEWARE! In fact, I can't think of any European car that is really great, at least here in the U.S. The import fees make everything hard to pay for... unless you're loaded. Then there's the mechanics. When a Mazda dealership refuses to work on a 1993 Mazda RX-7, because of it's "complexity", you really have to think about who can fix your car. I'm forever seeing a Mercedes mechanic's shop, loaded with Mercedes-Benzes, just waiting to be fixed. Possibly waiting for a part... who knows. But they're everywhere, and it's always the same old gig... like, half a dozen cars parked in the lot. Volvo's are very hard to maintain. They still have a lot of recalls, even after Ford bought them out. I think that the older ones are more reliable! And God forbid, that your warranty ran out... you'll be paying the bill for months! Brits... God, the <span style="font-style: italic">dealerships</span> hate the cars because of all the recalls and problems. But it's getting better, since Ford bought Jaguar, Land Rover, and Aston Martin. I've never heard of any problems with the Ford Astons, but that may be because they're hand-made and really expensive. Land Rover is still getting bad reviews among it's owners... but not for performance... just stupid little problems. I'll stay with a mid-range car or maybe a Subaru, if I wanted the best in reliability. But than again, who knows how long the body will last before it rots away. (sigh) I'm glad that I have my Reatta! grin.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

Barney: you don't need no oil change light. With most electrical problems, "all ya gots to do is snhip da wa-er"

Don't you wish you could do that with ol' Teves and CELs? And the problem would forever go away? At least that's how used car lots think

Buy a Reatta parts car, they are'nt hard to find in your area.

Or.... find a collector who will offer the parts you need at a club member rate.

Like me! I have a parts car, (or two, maybe), and a couple "previously admired" models which need little work to restore to "daily driver" status.

You don't need something else to drive daily, just another of the cars you love to drive, with a few miles on it.

Reattas are very reliable cars, on the whole. As mentioned in other replies, there are more expensive/popular cars with much worse maintenance issues and are more expensive to GET repaired. Part of this is because shops who fix them charge $100/hr. and up due to the supposed exclusivity of the cars they fix. They are delusional, for the Reatta line of cars is among the most limited produced in the USA, as well as internationally. Take the Prowler, for example- 3800 cars built the first year, and more annually since- compared to Reatta convertible, less than 2500 cars built in the short 2 year build cycle. And listed as a "personal luxury" car, the insurance cost is LOW for a sports car, less than insuring a 1988-1990 Mustang 4-cyl. convertible! The Reatta line is a great value from any perspective, (unless you need a backseat no-one can be comfortable in), except to those with more money than sense.

I flat SMOKED a BMW Z-4 roadster last Friday on the road.

He must feel real silly about his new $48,000 car and wonders what kind of car just had him for lunch, (on a closed road with professional driver), he hardly was close enough to read Reatta badge on my tail at any point.

Drive train and most braking parts are still readily available, and inexpensive because Buick used these on most their cars.

I also have a 1994 Olds Regency which donates parts for my Reattas regularly.

I'd walk a mile for any Reatta or part before I'd drive a BMW or other high-end production model to a shop. In their class, the Reattas rule the road and out-style their competetors costing twice as much, but will not attempt to compare them with Ferraris, nor Lamborghinis and their kind. But I will say "I bought my first Reatta while looking for an Allante, and could'nt be happier."

I never got an Allante, and probably won't. Too high-maintenance for me.

Randy.

Guest F14CRAZY

Oh nice! If it was me, it would be "you just got SPANKED! by a Buick"

I haven't got to go against anything serious. By smoked, are you talking about off the line, at speed, or was it just the driver cool.gif

At speed I took down a 3.1L auto Beretta GT (which put up a good fight actually) and a '99 Cutlass tongue.gif

He was snoozing when I smoked his ass at the light, but he nearly caught-up by the time we hit the curvacious 2-lane. That's where I gave him his first real driving lessons:

Lesson 1) Learn how to drive BEFORE paying too much for a car which can outdrive you.(skill is more important than equipment, FWD rules curves)

Lesson 2) Learn how to buy a car which will not embarrass you once you do learn how to drive.(Would'nt you really rather have a Buick?)

Lesson 3) Regarding traffic signals - Snoozers are losers.(stay alert!)

Lesson 4) After taking a beating, one should leap the door and offer the competetor a congratulatory handshake.(not turn-off at the earliest sideroad to hide your $48,000 worth of embarrassment)

How about a "Z4 EATER" bumper sticker?

I've been looking for a "My other car is a MACH 5" and "RACER X"

and maybe 7 copies of the famed "my other car is a Reatta"

no, make that 8, I need one for the Corvette!

Randy. grin.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would'nt you really rather have a Buick? </div></div>

My dad says that too. Old advertising I suppose.

Wouldn't it be nice (beach boys) if Buick made the Velite or a new Reatta or something. Just something. Something obnoxious and crazy like the Grand National was. Then advertise it like hell. They'd sell millions.

WE DON'T USE THE GN WORD AROUND MY HOUSE!

TIME FOR A RANT!!!

What is up with BCA grouping the Reatta Class of cars with overblown Regals and calling it a "special interest" class. Reminds me of grade school and the "special-Ed" class. Buick only has ONE two-seater personal luxury vehicle, yet BCA thinks it's OK to be judjed against a SEDAN. Do the Rivera T-Types belong in this class, too? Seems they are judjed along with other Riv's. So why not send the GN's over to the Regal class to be judged with their own kind? Firebirds and Trans-Ams have to play together, so why can't GNs and Regals?

ANYONE CAN MAKE A GN CLONE, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE A REATTA CLONE!

This can be proven with all bolt-on parts, some paint & stripes, just like a GTA, GT350, GT500 or even a Trans Am.

Hard to believe an organisation with a division of unique vehicles would class them against SEDANS with NICE TRIM & BOLT-ON TURBO PACKAGES.

If any Reatta owner adde a trim and turbo package, he/she would be forced into "custom" class. Not that this is where GNs nor reattas belong, just making the case for dropping the "special interest" class to be replaced by a class for cars BCA should be proud to show-off.

GM clubs do not group Camaro & Firebirds together, AND THEY'RE ALMOST THE SAME CAR!

CORVETTES ARE NOT GROUPED WITH THEM EITHER BECAUSE THEY A UNIQUE DESIGN TO CHEVY, JUST AS THE REATTA IS UNIQUE TO BUICK. (If this were the case we'd see Corvairs classed with Corvettes.)

SHOW ME A GN ON A CURVY ROAD, AND I'LL SHOW IT THE DITCH!

RWD GNs ARE GOOD ONLY FOR SHOW & CRUISIN' (no make good race car-you go now!)

What next? Will the XLR be in the same class with the CTS?

or a GT40 with a Mustang? How 'bout a Prowler with a Pacifica?

The Reatta is just as different from a GN as any of these comparisons, If not more.

OOPS!

Someone kicked the soapbox out from under me!

What was this thread about again, I seem to have forgotten.

Oh! Yeah.

Reattas are marvelous cars, go out and buy a couple today.

As F14 says they are truly a "world class automobile" and once again, thank you for your patronage.

Reatta Rantin' Randy.

Guest Buick Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

SHOW ME A GN ON A CURVY ROAD, AND I'LL SHOW IT THE DITCH!

RWD GNs ARE GOOD ONLY FOR SHOW & CRUISIN' (no make good race car-you go now!)

</div></div>

LOL.

Put down the crack pipe and have someone take you for a ride in a GN... then get back to us. ooo.gif