Speaking of Rants-Buick Modified Division

Guest Greg Ross

Guest Greg Ross

Here's the Link to the thread I started over on the Modified Div. Board last January.

http://www.aaca.org/ubbthreads/showflat....;o=&fpart=1

As Batavia approaches it seems there's not much clarity on where the modifieds belong.

I won't be attending the Nationals as I'm currently working in Western Canada and appears I wouldn't be welcome anyway. Seems my name has fallen off the Reatta Div. Mailing List since this January rant (Buick related though)

I won't be renewing my R-Div. membership in protest! Sorry folks but the narrow intresests of the few are not serving my needs. Dominique, the conversation while in NYC was informative but I won't be back to one of these events until attitudes change.

gmrossjr@msn.com

Guest EDBSO

You can be honest ??? confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif Wasn't it really the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Factory installed air in the tires</span></span> that really got to you or was it the <span style="font-weight: bold">original factory installed washer fluid. </span>

Frankly I find modified cars like yours to be of equal if not much more interest. Just ask Chip Foose, Boyd Coddington or even Castro of Unique Whips. Modifiedies are where the cutting edge action is. In Flint, who's open hood were everyone attracted to?

Frankly, I believe that there has to be room for both.

I look forward to our meeting again, Robert

Guest Greg Ross

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can be honest ???</div></div>

Robert,

In my 54 years I may not have gotten any smarter but I hope a bit of wisdom sunk in. My career requires I confront and resolve, some instances arise around a..hole personalities. In my personal past time interests I can make the choice to take it or leave it!

And by the way, the experience (with and without the hood up)in Flint was a thrill I will carry with me always. Compliments from your peers is about as gratifying as life gets. Too bad that open attitude is not shared more globally. And sorry I didn't get the opportunity to spend some time with you before your early departure.

Greg

Guest Reattaray

Greg, sorry to hear that you will not be in Batavia!! The interest in your car at Flint was well deserved. I hope you will continue to reply to posts on the forum as you have alot to offer. All the best. Ray

Greg, I love your car and I'm happy that you put so much time and effort into it. It's upsetting that you've been removed from the Reatta Division mailing list. But you know how people are, especially car people. Grumpy old men, probably. No offense, intended. There needs to be some sort of placement for modified cars. Why do you think people go to muscle car shows? To see stock AND modified muscle cars. You've done what the Reatta engineers would have done... if they had the funding. I hear tell of turbo prototypes and a possible police package. So there you go. Just because you're car isn't meeting the originality standards, doesn't make it any less of a Reatta. And it is an interesting automobile. You've done nothing, but give it more power and a meaner rear profile. Oh, and the 5-Speed stick, as well. What's wrong with that? It hasn't been chopped up, like a low-rider or a hot rod. I don't get it, and I'll miss Betsy Blue in Batavia. frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the Link to the thread I started over on the Modified Div. Board last January.

http://www.aaca.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=271399&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

</div></div>

And here, Greg, is the response I get when I try to go to the thread:

<span style="font-weight: bold">"We cannot proceed.

There was a problem looking up the post in our database.

Please use your back button to return to the previous page."</span>

Well, so much for trying to get a little information....

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span> frown.gif

Thanks; it worked. Very interesting thread with some valid points.

I've refrained from modifying my '55 Thunderbird -- but everytime I ride in someone else's Bird with added disc front brakes and radial tires, I am envious. Maybe this is the year....

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span>

Uh guys, did I miss something?

I've been with y'all, as Barney can verify, in some fashion or another since the beginnings of this site, and I've NEVER heard of anybody being scorned by a webmaster here for having a "less than popular" opinion. I've read the posting Greg put up, and I found nothing derogatory of inflamatory about it. He's just voicing concerns over what he feels should or could have been handled better. Since when did this become a jailing-offense?

We've been discussing mods to these cars since the VERY beginnings of support for Reattas, when you couldn't even find a service manual on Ebay and GM was subsequently discarding support for the Reatta and at times, even denying it's existance! How dare ANYONE from GM or Buick chastise anyone for voicing their opinion here. If you really want to show your so-called dedication to the originality of the Reatta, how about that recall we've been requesting for the last 6+ yrs on the Teves Braking system that fails arbitrarily!

Amazing!

How are we supposed to "keep it original", when the "original" parts were prone to failure! How are we supposed to exhalt in GM/Buick's inginuity, when plans to properly support, power and equip our vehicles (aka the V8 project, the Turbo Project, the Bosch brake changeover in '91, the dedication to parts availability, the marketing schema of "This is not your Grandfather's Buick" and "easy for the do-it-yourselfer to work on", and... do I need to go on?) were thrown by the wayside? How hard did we, just recently, in the days of all of this aftermarket support for the Reatta, have to fight to even get permission to post a copy of the Service manual of a car Buick no longer even has qualified (aka specifically trained) techs available to work on?

I'm appalled and surprised (not at all pleasantly).

As for modding the Reatta... I guess I won't be welcome to the "Official BCA Events" either, considering I'm adding GPS, a computer system, over $3K of Audiobahn (and other) audio and equalization equipment, cold air, sequential lighting, H4 conversions and a slew of other mods, which, may I add, are available on cars around the world today, including GM's own!

Whatever man! Someone REALLY needs to give GM a clue, before everyone goes to Chrysler/Mercedes and their Hemi! The G6 is NOT enough.

Is'nt the GN a factory modified Regal?

Should GN's be in the Regal class, the modified class or the ILL-DEFINED "special interest" (REATTA) class?

What is "special interest" or "modified"?

At least there is a definition for "modified"

It seems "special interest" is where clubs put all limited production models/lines regardless of their incomparable differences because "not enough show up". Has anyone considered the fact more Reattas would attend club-sanctioned shows if there was a class which did not compare them with cars (GNs) which are SO obviously different?

Back to modified class, Replacing a crap stereo with something you're willing to listen to is not a modification, if in fact you show the original in the trunk, and the install is clean and tasteful. Speakers can be stashed behind OEM grilles, Antennas can be replaced, headlamps and brighter bulbs are cool.

But aftermarket wheels are a Bozo No-No.

Things wear-out, and some OEM parts/systems were crap, warranting replacement.

We, as AMERICAN car collectors, should not attempt to appear as anal as the renound Porsche Purists who have driven prices for the parts they need out of their own reach.

Car collecting/showing is a HOBBY not a business.

Like any auto event, with a fair set of simple rules everyone understands, (and at least partially agrees, in principle) we can all have a great time doing what we love, with the cars we love, within the rules of the event. Works in racing!

Reatta Re-classifing Randy.

Guest F14CRAZY

I don't see what's wrong with "tasteful" modding. I'm really not even modding; just replacing parts that GM didn't do right.

My car has an Accel high performance coil pack because the Magnavox coils all suck and die.

Dad's Maui has a Pioneer 1.5 din CD head unit. The old Delco had a tape stuck in it and nobody really uses cassettes anyway these days. Some people got mad at me for using a proper 1.5 din unit instead of a short 1 din confused.gif

Most all of the 88-89 tape players broke or are broken so I ripped mine out and I want to make a custom hole for my Delphi (oooooh, kinda like GM!) XM Roady II reciever. I've heard of an LCD being placed in that spot to run a GPS/DVD which would be a good idea too but I'm building up my a/v system in my Explorer anyway.

Chrysler has had good ideas in recent history like the mentioned Hemi. A NEW full size car? With rwd? And a 5.7L V8? And a version with a 6.1L? And reasonably priced? If I had an income to support one I'd have one. What's GM gonna do about it? Woo hoo, Impala SS. The Caprice-based Impala SSs in the late 90s could probably SPANK the current one.

G6s suck. I blew out a GT on the freeway earlier this week. With my 3800 powered luxury performance car that GM kinda forgot all about long long ago. A schoolmates Beretta GT put up more of a fight.

I won't rant all over again about how GM is going too tank. Unless you want me to. Then I'll reply again.

Guest F14CRAZY

BTW I have the H4 headlights from ebay. They're decent. I removed the running lights from them though because I'm not going to have my headlights popped up all the time during the day and the fogs do that job anyway.

The BCA has nothing against a modified Buick! The problem araises when the car is entered into the 400 point system for judging.I have been to every BCA meet since 1971, and have found that the best way to enjoy the meets is to not worry about a trophy ( your Buick is your trophy) I have as much enjoyment going to and from the meets in my Buick as I do at the meet,as we usually travel in a small ( 2-4) group. The 400 point system satisfies the purists, and trophy hunters, and the rest of the members can enjoy the comradery while they are polishing their "trailer Queens"

Am not sure about BCA rules but when I was running events, anyone showing up with five buddies (six cars) could petition for their own class. Best to know in advance for trophy ordering. Would be surprised if this were not true today.

Hey F14, didn't want to mention that I did the exact same to the G6. Got me at the start (almost actually past me) then I went into 2nd gear, 3rd gear, and that was all she wrote! By the time I hit 4th gear, he was a about 10 cars behind and dropping fast (not by his choice). I stopped playing around before I got a ticket (aka slowed back down to around the speed limit) and he came flying past, straining that POS engine, and actually thought he was doing something. I'll give him one thing though, he sure did make a lot of noise (like the many 4cyl rice-burners I've past thoughout the years).

I've also done the 8mm ACCEL wires with the AC Delco Rapidfires. She seems to like that combo if you have to tune-up in the future. Running K&N filter in orig box right now, but working on hood cut for scoop and cold (forced) air filter and intake. Haven't decided on scoop or rear spoiler design yet.

Original wheels/caps hopefully getting pulled after this winter and will be used as winter sets only (with the Dunlop Sport A2's) and getting a set of summer wheels in 16-18" (prob chromed or gunmetal) with who-knows-what tires. More research on sidewall stiffness needs to be done after wheel design decided.

Computer will be an actual home computer with a special power supply designed to give 500W at 12V NG (for cars) and will turn on/off with car automatically (unless bypassed), AMD Athlon 1900 w/ 4x GForce2 GTS Pro, 512MB, 80-250GB HD, DVD (slot loaded), 802.1x compliant wireless 802.11G card, in custom box with positive cooling and remote DVD & USB Hub. Debating on trunk or storage area mount (heat's a big issue in the trunk, sub inteference is issue in storage area). All low-level audio cables are now shielded and the Goosneck EQ is going back in. Running a 1Din Pioneer CD (right now, I have to REALLY think about if it's worth it to go back to Sony just so I can have my minidisc), second (Marine) battery's already installed in the trunk (smaller than the other one, which is in the van now, but almost as powerful), along with the 400W inverter (1400W went to the van) and the center console's dash has been cut and is ready for the side panels.

Hood mounted washers are muti-colored, but will prob be set to red like all of the forward facing 194's are. Mirror turn signals may/may not be changed with smaller versions, but that should be hooked up soon too, along with the sequential flashers in the rear. Got my conversions from Pep Boys' Clearance sale for about $4/ea (without H4's) Haven't removed the DRL's, simply 'cause I'm ignorant enough to hook them up just for kicks (might replace with red bulbs, though).

Fogs are getting replaced with H3 drivers, and I'm seriously looking at PIAA's multi-element (4 different bulbs/reflectors in one light for all occassions) series. Waiting on my mech to do some other general maintenance first (fluid changes and a radiator rodding/replacement).

After info I was given on another post, now going with a Hayden remote Tranny cooler too.

The groundwork's pretty much done on most of my mods, just dealing with installs and financing this monstrocity!

There are other mods, but they are way too numerous to mention here. So, what else are you all doing?

Guest F14CRAZY

My dad put a spoiler from a '00 Mustang GT on his Maui and it looks pretty nice. I can snap a couple pix if you'd like. The curve of the spoiler almost perfectly matches the trunk lid.

If I was going to install a full blown computer in a vehicle I'd probably go with a Mac Mini or an old PowerBook, but I'm kinda partial to Macs so that doesn't help you much.

Morgan State University

Network Administrator and

Apple Support Technician.

LOL

Apple's RULE!!!! But...

This computer's for GPS (primarily) and games more than anything professionally oriented, so Windoze machines are best for that purpose. To my knowledge, they don't have GPS software for macs yet, and Virtual PC STINKS!!!!! when trying to use it with Delorme's GPS. It keeps dropping the signal and the USB host adapter (but isn't that why Microsoft bought VPC, to keep Connectix from exceeding the speed of PC's on a Mac?).

Anyway, Macs are a big investment compared to a pc, and gutting one like I need to wouldn't make sense. Pc's are great for shoving a lot of spare parts together and making them just work (not to mention the TCO should damage occur from abuse, vandalism, or theft). Hate to think in those terms, but "cheap" prevails over value in this case, I think.

Oh, btw, that's your 3rd gear kicking in between 60-70mph. The overdrive seems to smooth out the slip from 1st-2nd to the point that it's barely noticeable. laugh.gif

But I'm not complaining... smirk.gif (although they probably were!) grin.gif

Guest EDBSO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Morgan State University

Network Administrator and

Apple Support Technician.

LOL

Apple's RULE!!!! But...

This computer's for GPS (primarily) and games more than anything professionally oriented, so Windoze machines are best for that purpose. To my knowledge, they don't have GPS software for macs yet, and Virtual PC STINKS!!!!! when trying to use it with Delorme's GPS. It keeps dropping the signal and the USB host adapter (but isn't that why Microsoft bought VPC, to keep Connectix from exceeding the speed of PC's on a Mac?). grin.gif </div></div>

I recently purchased the Garmin 18 USB and have it on my IBM T42 and a small 10.4" Fujitsu that weighs less than 3 pounds as I recall. Usually I use the Fujitsu because it is so very light. This is my 3rd GPS program and by far the best.

My brother in law loved it so much he gave his mac a lobotomy and installed soft PC. he can't even get the software/hardware to recognize the USB antenna!

Any ideas that you could share?

He has talked to the Garmin guys directly without results.

he is a PhD teaching MIS and my sister is a graphic artist so they always have the latest and greatest Macs.

Guest F14CRAZY

I have MS Streets and Trips '05 with the MS USB GPS "locator" and I'm satisfied with it. I haven't had a chance to use any other program but it works pretty well. I run it on my Acer Travelmate 100 convertible tablet with my 500 watt inverter keeping that charged. I usually run it in tablet mode with the GPS. Makes it simpler than an opened laptop. I am mainly a Mac user but this is my exception; I've been lugging my 500 mhz TiBook around for doing most all my work in class (gonna be an HS senior later this year) but the only class I couldn't really use it was math because of the notes involved. The tablet has worked out great. I really haven't had to print anything because I can walk up to my teacher with the tablet with homework displayed, scroll through it, and be good to go.

Yeah maybe it actually is 3rd; torque converter unlocks, then downshifts to 3rd, but I'm skeptical. I'll open up diagnostics on the road and let you know on this one. It sure feels like 2nd because like when nailing it hard on an on-ramp, it'll run in 1st till 40 mph or so then run up in 2nd until around 72. But I'll check it out.

Wife bought the Delorme GPS for me as a Christmas present in 1998 and updated it to the USB version in 2004. I find the USB unit works well but usually revert to the 1998 "Street Atlas" because it is so much more intuitive to use.

I have the entire contents on my laptop and has saved my bacon more than once.

WOW! not just a hijacked post!

This post has been Skyjacked by the techies with their sattelite-based digital compasses/maps!

Where's an air marshall when you need one?

In boy scouts, they just staple a compass to your wrist and a map to your forehead, teach you how to count a 2-foot pace and send you out in the wilderness. Worked for me, and I nev

er

get

l o st

a nym ore!

Really!

A little spot putty fills in the staple holes very well.

Reatta Reconointerin' Randy.