Caliper locked?

Guest wally888

Guest wally888

After the "TCC not locking" caused by Brake/Cruise Switch (I think!), think is now solved however as I started to drive about 35 miles to Atl. airport, 10 miles from home, the brakes seem to lock/drag-Rt front very hot, car would not accelerate, burnt/smoke smell-had to return home, get other car-hurry/hurry-late.

I did not return home and am in other car but wondering where to start looking for problem when I return?

Caliper locking? (Brake pedal was stiffer than usual but was intermittant as was the dragging?

Ideas?

Guest EDBSO

Seized right caliper will cause the car to pull to the right. Seized left will pull to the left.

The hot smoking rotor is a very good indication of which is seized.

Have read that some of the Reatta brake hoses get soft and do not let fluid return to resevoir. I doubt that this is your problem. Likely simply a seized caliper.

A dragging caliper just might prevent or slow up the transmission from lockingup! Or raise the rpm at which it locksup. This could have been your problem all along.

Just had same prob on my '89. Corrected with front brake hoses (rt side was dragging). Replaced both while I was at it. Got them at Autozone for $25 each. Had same problem on '84 Fiero few yrs back. I would try hoses first, not a bad job to replace them.

Guest wally888

Everything happened so fast (a little panic thinking I might get stranded, no car and was supposed to be at airport! But, seems I remember the car was pulling a little left?

Will explore when I return. Thanks.

Thank you thank you thank you. The burgundy convertible I drove to Plano last summer I sold to my nephew and about 3 weeks ago he started having the same problem. He replaced the caliper twice, once with a used one from me and then a new one. He would drive the car for a while and no problems. Then his wife would take it and the wheel would lock up. She is so disgusted she wants to sell the car. We talked about it this morning and I suggested he unplug the ABS computer and see if that would solve the problem but both lights were staying off so I didn't really think that would cure the problem. I just got off the phone with him after reading this series and he is going to look at the hoses. I will post the results.

Guest kennyw

I ended up just taking the piston out of the bore and cleaning everything up. My problem was the piston sticking in the bore. Hard to believe a hose can hold this high pressure.....ken

Stuck piston will certainly do it - drags a little on start but expands as it heats up until can lock the wheel. Heat and expansion can also cause hard pedal. ABS fault generally releases brake, not applies it.

Have had some temporary luck in the past with standing on the brake pedal very hard then releasing.

Guest MauiWowee

If the GM hoses are POS, has anyone tried SS hoses? I have always used them on my BMW and HD bikes, and plan to put them on my '67 Camaro when I do the front disc conversion. They can be custom made reasonably.

It was the hose.

I just got off the phone with my nephew and he replaced the brake hose and everything now works good. He said he could not even blow through the old hose. The only way for the fluid to return back to the master cylinder from the caliper is for the release of pressure at the master cylinder and then any pressure in the caliper will be released back. If there is even a slight blockage then the higher pressures will be released but just a small amount can remain due to a bad hose and that will keep a little pressure on the piston and drag the wheel.

Guest wally888

Developements!

I purchased new front hoses at Pep Boys, arranged to have them install but they insisted on free brake inspection first. So I got to see all before any charges.

I remember no pulling to one side! Must have beeen rear calipers. Inspection showed the parking cable end on the LR was out of slot, had slipped down toward center of caliper. We put it back in the proper place. With the Parking brake off the LR cable spring seems shorter (more compressed) than RR? Cables all seem O.K. but I think , when my problem began, it was the parking brake cable-not fully released but no red light on?

Anyone else have knowledge of this or had similar problem?

Thanks to all for previous input!

BTW-They wanted $139 to install the 2 lines (4 ends and 2 bolts, total!)

Hoses are in trunk, I will install, maybe.