1991 convertible has cassette stuck in player - try butterknife?

manikmekanik

The very day I bought my 1991 Reatta convertible, I inserted a Todd Rundgren cassette. It played great, but will not eject and interferes with operation of radio & CD player. I'm nearly frustrated enough to take a BUTTERKNIFE to it. Any secrets on cassette extraction, or does the tape have to want to "come-out".

The stereo seems to "clip" at a reasonably loud volume, is this related? Any links to radio repair shops, or will I need to replace? Is there a Bose system for these cars, like the Eldorado in 1991?

Randy.

Guest Buick Mike

I ruined my radio trying to get a stuck cassette out. It would simply not come out so I finally decided to get it out in pieces. Mistake. Once all the pieces of the cassette were out the stupid cassette player just kept clicking back and forth like it was trying to change tape directions. No radio operations, no nothing... just clicking back and forth.

The upside was that I got a new, much better, stereo.

As for the clipping... check your battery connections. That caused it for me once.

Mike

Guest F14CRAZY

One person said "keep pressing the eject button. It'll come out." We pressed the eject button in the convertible plenty more than "keep pressing" means. I took it apart and got the tape out, but of course, the deck wouldn't work at all after that.

We stored the old one and got a used Pioneer 1.5 DIN CD head unit. All better. Better amplifier, not old so there's less chance of something going bad, plays CDs, and has pre-outs if you're into that. I think most go with a regular 1 DIN and use an adapter plate, but I really don't like the looks of them.

The rubber belts GM used in the late 80s/early 90s apparently were not very good, have yet to see a casette player that did not need new belts.

When they start slipping due to stretch, the most common failure is no eject and a click-click-click sound.

Tom and I just posted the GM 3F manual for the cassette players and there is a .pdf article describing how to replace the belts. I would not be surprised if the CD had the same issue.

Thanx, padgett! Sounds like good diags to me, i've delt with stubborn cassettes and their belt in the distant past. could not get to your gm tape info on your link, will try later. I want to use the correct DARS on this priceless work of automotive art as to not show evidence of repair.

And, of course thanks to all for advise and concern. I'll hold back on the butterknife for now.

Boy, how quickly true Reatta fans come out when you threaten to take out the silverware drawer to fix something.

Maybe, if I get into big trouble on something, I'll try threatening to use something like a meat cleaver to fix something like a 91 convertible top.

Thanx to all,

Happy Trails.

Randy.

P.S. What? No comments on the selection of music stuck in the player?

Should anyone be interested, I have a complete '90-'91 head unit, including cassette, just returned from the Delco factory $200 servicing. Not looking to make a profit; will do a $200 exchange if anyone is interested.....

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span>

Guest Reatta1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rubber belts GM used in the late 80s/early 90s apparently were not very good, have yet to see a casette player that did not need new belts.

</div></div> Come see mine.

Guess I better 'knock on wood'. I have never had a problem with the tape player in my 88. Works perfectly. The quality of the AM side of the radio sucks though. I'll bookmark your repair guide though just in case.

Oh yes, the Pacific northwest. Cars seem to last incredibly long times there and without the rubber-eating elements of Florida or LA.

Would put the Georgia/Carolina/Tennessee region next best since sun damage (paint sure but interiors are harder to repair) is not as common as in Texas/Oklahoma/Nevada/Arizona though garage kept/low milage Reattas are still surfacing.

I have real concerns about cars from the rust belt or which live within 10 miles of a seacoast since rust is so hard to stop. We are also hearing of fuel and braking systems needing line and tank replacement.

Is why to a serious restorer/collector *where* a car spent its life is as important as how many miles are on the clock (when talking 30 year old cars is unimportant but for teenagers is still a factor). Look at the restoration catalogues and most repo parts are more cosmetic than functional.

The magic time seems to be when a car's value passes its original MSRP again which is half due to collectability and half inflation. The key is when people see the original sticker and think "bargain".

Had the same problem. Removed the cassette player and found a small opening on near the front corner, where you can insert a paper clip wire or similar and the door will open. It's been a long time since I did this, so the exact location is foggy. It saved ripping things up to get it out.

Drew

Thanx, again - everyone!

padgett - I purchased the car in central IL from Larry, who owned it for 3 years. Larry states he only put 300 miles on it, and had purchased it sight unseen from a collector in CA, where it spent it's life, I'm told.

Alf - I may be interested in your radio head, if I cannot repair this one. The CD player will not operate as long as there is a cassteet in the drive. Once I can retrieve the tape I will know if I'll need a CD, too. Do you have a CD unit lying around as well?

Estaver - The door over the cassete does not seem to be the problem, the tape carrier mechanism will not cycle to eject. I think padgett hit it on the head when he suggested I replace the belts, since they drive the tape carrier.

Once again, Thanx to all!

Gotta go now, someone is attempting to outbid me on Tonivisa's 91 convertible.

TTFN

Randy.