Electrical advice needed

Guest waxbgone

Guest waxbgone

I have an electrical problem on my '90 convertible that puzzles me. About 2 years ago it started with my remote control failing to control the door locks. Soon after, the door locks stopped working with the inside switch, and the automatic function locking the doors in drive quit working. Then the trunk lock stopped working from the key lock, then the button in the glove box quit working the trunk. The tonneau cover latch quit at the same time. The radio antenna stopped working.

I have checked the power at the fuses, and at various points in the system, back to the "remote entry module" behind the seats, and the power seems to be there. All the above functions seem to go through the "remote entry module", but I am not especially good at electrical troubleshooting.

Has anyone got any advice on what is going wrong? Is the "remote entry module" specific to convertibles? (it controls the tonneau cover - trunk lid interlock which is convertible specific).

I cannot say if the problems you are having are caused by a bad keyless entry module or not but I do know the modules are the same on the coupes and the convertibles. Only the location is different. The module is located behind the lower right rear panel behind the drivers seat on the coupes and it is located inside the area/panel between the seats and trunk area.

I do have a good keyless remote module available and can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

• 3 weeks later...
Guest waxbgone

The new remote entry module didn't fix the problem, and, out of frustration, I took the car to the dealer to fix at least the trunk latch. They found a soldered junction between the orange power feed wire and a bunch of smaller orange power wires going to all the non-working items to be corroded. The junction is under the driver's seat and, since my floor remains wet all winter, the junction corroded until it fell apart. They cut out the corroded sections of the wires and re-soldered the connection and voila! Everything works again, and I'm a happy camper.

The amazing thing to me is the fact that the dealer found it. They ususally replace half the car before they stumble on a problem like this.

The splice under the drivers seat can be a problem, but only when there is a water problem. Why does your floor stay wet all winter? You need to address that problem before the passanger seat falls out.

Guest Greg Ross

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If your passenger's seat falls out you can sell the car to padgett who could use the headroom

</div></div>

Yes but then we have to come up with a chauffeur to drive for him! grin.gifgrin.gif