Anyone with rear A/C unit ?

B.Goode

Guest imported_MrEarl

JBG,

I've been drooling over that 55 for some time. Are you considering buying it. This is the second time it has been on ebay, didn't meet reserve first time out. If it was a 54 it would be in my barn.(not meaning to slight it for being a 55, I'm just a 54 kinda guy). The A/C in the rear did come out in 53 as Keith said. It was slightly improved in 54 and again in 55 then discontinued in 56. The 54's had the clear tube running up to and into the headliner where it was ducted to front and rear overhead vents. From what I hear this design didn't distribute the air very well. As a remedy, technicians were advised to disconnect the tube where it entered the roof, tus allowing more air to the rear. SO in 1955 they simply did away with the roof ducts and air came out the tubes at the top of the rear window. Now the folks in the rear seat got cool, real cool. I have never owned or even ridden in a 54 or 55 with air. I am about to make a 1000 mile trip to bring back a 54 Super with AC that I plan to install into my Roadmaster. I'm sure there are others on here though with 55's that can give some first hand experience. eh Willie and Mike..........

Factory AC was not uncommon here in south Texas. I have two 55 model 63s with factory air, have a parts car that had it, and got some parts at a local yard.

The performance is "adequate" up to mid 90's (degres farenheit), but cold air on the back of your neck is not the best idea. I turn down the sun visors 45* so that some of the air hits the face. Let me know when you buy that car so we can discuss some more.

Willie

Thanx alot guys for the responses ! Even though my 52 Roadmaster takes up a lot of space, I'm sure I could fit this fine looking car in along side it. But I'm afraid that wont happen crazy.gif I was just curious if this option was rare, or it was me who wasn't paying attention in Buickclass, the day they were talking "early aircondition units" grin.gif

I've heard about rednecks, but ice-cold bluenecks....never grin.gif

And to mr.Earl, Buick people are cool people, A/C or no A/C ! Good luck on that 54 Super trip !

The first time I rode in Willie's car with the A/C on, I thought the visors had fallen (as they are prone to do when not tightened correctly). I should have known that his car would not have floppy visors. grin.gif He gave me the same explanation as he gave you and lo and behold, it's true.

That 55 Roadmaster on ebay is a nice car. It belongs to a guy outside of Dallas who I rode with to steal all of his leftover 55 parts when he decided to sell it. So it doesn't come with spare anything!!!! Ha.Ha.

Also, I am getting close to getting my car back from the painter at which time I will be adding the factory air to mine. My car was originally a South Dakota car, so no A/C in it. (South Dakota is really stinkin' cold, Johnny Be Goode). I am going to look like those guys with the one week deadline to build a car trying to get this puppy together in a month, so I'm going to log out and go work in my garage.

See y'all.

Mike

My 56 Cadillac, as was mentioned above out these Cadillacs, has a rear receiver unit that runs off of the front compressor. The heater hoses actually run down the chassis under the car, with 2 blowers underneath the car, 2 in the trunk and 2 under the hood. A very intersting the setup, that I am suffering to put back into operation as the car is restored.