This isn't good (photo attached)

Guest F14CRAZY

Guest F14CRAZY

The attached photo speaks for itself. What you are seeing is down in the air cleaner and upper radiator house area. The aluminum sub frame (I guess you call it) has a major break in it. Around 3/4 inch, probably closer to an inch. Enough room to stick a finger between.

How or when it happened, I don't know. It may have been there before we bought the vehicle. This may be the source of my engine idle problems too. If the engine/transmission is 3/4 inch off, it could be rubbing on some wire harnesses in the area, and just decided to start acting up when I replaced the thermostat.

Padgett: I read what you said about using insulated pliers to test for a bad spark plug. That makes sense, but I think I should go after this problem first.

Would it be safe to be welded back? There's H & H in Mason that could probably do it fine. Thank you, from a saddened Reatta owner.

Is that the odd cast piece that looks something like a folded H and wraps around the transmission ? My 88 does not have it but suspect Jim has one. Last time I looked GM wanted some insane price for it. p/n 22112616

Guest F14CRAZY

It seems to be a subframe, of cast aluminum and of an odd shape that wraps around the engine and transmission. I think welding would be a better choice, because it looks like replacing it would mean dismantling the engine compartment. Woo hoo. Not.

Guest F14CRAZY

My dad came home and checked it out. He wasn't mad or anything. He proposes to go back to the junk Riviera, sawzall the front end and left fender stuff off, and pull off the goofy subframe or whatever it is. So I think we'll be fine. That'll probably fix my bad idle problems since I predict that some wire(s) are getting pinched by the engine/transmission and are grounding out or something.

If that doesn't fix it we'll send it to the local trusted mechanic.

Just make sure the junk Riviera has one, my parts book shows it as first used on 1989 models (and now 10X the 1993 price).

Not 100% sure but is this it ? (other sale shows the funny shock so seems to be 89 or later).

Ah, the horsecoller. Holds up the whole left side of the powertrain. I think it can be removed without dropping the powertrain. One bolt lower front, two nuts at the motor mount, and two bolts under the MAF. You will have to move the cruise servo, and maybe some A/C stuff. Doing this from memory.

• 2 months later...

Horsecollar?? I thought that was called the Oxencoupler!!

I'm imagining multiple Reatta owners running to thier garages for an impromptu drive carriage/aluminum component inspection. Glad I have a parts car and drivetrain donor cars, I can sleep while others creep.

Guest F14CRAZY

Sorry about not updating this when it happened. I was able to replace it with the same thing from the junk '89 Rivi. It wasn't that bad to do. Put a floor jack under the motor/transmission and removed all the components in the way. It hasn't broke or give any other trouble since.

Guest F14CRAZY

I fixed this at the same time my car wasn't running, so I didn't say much about it. But the piece was broke in 3 other places and wasn't holding up anything at all. You could from the wear marks on the exhaust and on the ends of the broken parts that it had been broken for a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The attached photo speaks for itself. Enough room to stick a finger between. How or when it happened, I don't know.

Would it be safe to be welded back? </div></div>

From the looks of that bridgework, you'd better get to a dentist pronto. There's probably going to be some gum surgery required also. Good luck!

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span> shocked.gif