Roadmasters late 40's- early 50's

Clemsoncruiser

Okay I am new here, so let me introduce myself. My name is JP Virgo and I am a Senior in Architecture at Clemson University in SC. I will graduate in the spring of 06', and for my graduation present my father and myself hope to enter the Great Race that summer. We would like to enter the race with a late 40's or early 50's Roadmaster. When I was very young my father actually had a 47' Roadmaster that he restored and kept for a few years, but he eventually sold it to a man in Belgium. So I have always loved the 40's Roadmasters since I was a child and it is the car I want to make the trip across the country in for the Great Race. The plans are to pick up a Roadmaster this summer and begin a restoration on it in hopes of having it ready to make the 06' race. I am not new to car restorations, I have since high school restored 2 vehicles one being a 73' VW super beetle and the other a 77' Toyota Landcruiser. Neither of which is anything along the lines of a 40's Buick. So I need to start doing lots of research on the Roadmaster. I was hoping you guys could recomend some good books, websites, or any other helpful sources to start looking into. Also the best places to find 40's/50's Roadmasters and any tips or advice you might have from your knowledge and experience, any information is appreciated.

Thank you

JP

a great place to search for cars for sale is www.collectorcartraderonline.com as far as parts... once you have the car, buick world specializes in pre 1960 buick parts, however, it sometimes takes a while for them to locate and ship the parts. they can be reached at (360) 825-3787. as far as once you have the parts... the best resource on the internet by far for any old skool car questions is the H.A.M.B. it is the message board that can be found at www.jalopyjournal.com there are people there that can answer any question about anything!

It all depends on what you want. The list needs to be narrowed down a bit. The Roadmaster shares parts availability in some cases with the Super. Do you want a four door model or a 2 door? 4 door models are relatively plentiful. Automatic or manual? I am not sure how reliable the early Dynaflow automatics would be but that may be an issue on a long road trip. Dynaflows were not available in 1946-47, optional on 48 and standard thereafter.

Also, 1949 was a year that the 8 cylinder went to hydraulic valve lifters, reducing maintenance. All of these years would have the 320 cubic inch straight 8.

Joining the Buick club and becoming active on ebay would help. Get the car first - and get a complete car so you know where everything goes.

Bryan Moran

abc.moran@netzero.com

crazy4abby

Joini9ng the BCA is a great idea. Chances are that if you needed help on the cross country trip, belonging to the BCA may introduce you to members in all areas of the country who caould at least provide some support.

But to just read about the cars, I'd suggest the book " The Buick a Complete History by Terry Dunham and Lawrence Gustin. This book points out the differences in the various years your looking towards, which may help you to refine your search to a certain model or year. The bool is published by 2002Automobile Heritage Publishing and Communications LLC.

I've attached a photo of the only Buick I saw when the Great Race came through the Kansas City area. I don't know if there were more Buicks in the race. Maybe they'd dropped out by that time. I don't know who owned/drove this 55. You might be able to get that info from someone at Great Race HQ. www.greatrace.com

Steve

Guest imported_MrEarl

I believe it's Bob Coker aka progoofoff you're looking for. He's a regular on here. (regular what I don't know, goof-off I suppose) wink.gifgrin.gif

388.jpg

Mike Slecta from Cottage Grove, Wisconsin has participated in recent Great Races with his "Yellow Bird" 1936 Roadmaster 4-door convertible. Many of you saw Mike's car in Flint, parked next to the yellow 1939 Roadmaster 4-door convertible Indianapolis 500 pace car replica.

Awesome information guys, just what I was looking for. I will make sure to join the BCA and checkout all the websites you guys suggested.

At the moment I would like to have a 49-53 4-door roadmaster, but I would be happy with just about any year. It will really just depend on what I can find/stumble upon this summer. I am sure when I start looking I will be posting all kinds of questions for you guys to help out with. Thanks again for the help.

JP Virgo