acknowledging gawkers

JohnD1956

Okay, so this isn't a major problem like tsunami's or anything, but what do you do to acknowledge gawkers? By this I mean; suppose you're driving down a road ( any road) and someone hauling in groceries stops and stares at your car as you drive by. What do you do to acknowledge them, or should you even acknowledge them?

Last time this happened I waved to the person but I don't think they even saw me, then I felt stupid for waving..

Also do you acknowledge other old car drivers? When I lived in Rochester NY all the classics and hot rodders waved to each other as they passed in their cars. Now, here in Schenectady NY this is not so common. I wave to all, but quite a few don't wave back. Again, not so important but it did feel like one big family club in Rochester, and I kinda miss it.

JD

Guest imported_MrEarl

A smile, a nod and a thumbs up.... the universal language for..... "cool" cool.gif

just keep your eyes on the road so that you don't end up feeling REAL foolish!!!

I remember the waves in Rochester! Great area for sure! They don't wave as much in SoCal but I still wave. Heck if they don't wave someone has to start it and then they will all start to wave! You can be the front man! :-) Woohoo!

As for the gawkers, I wave at them too. I always get the biggest kick out of the embarrassed parents at the red light when the 10 year old in the back seat rolls down the window and tells you how cool your car is. The look in their eyes is priceless. It's that look that makes me believe the hobby will continue. As for the parent, they smile and wave...after the kid in the back has taken the first strike opportunity and just rolled down the window to say Hi and talk about your car. I think some of the parents need to loosen up a little too. A little civility in this day and age goes a long way, and to think the kids have it right! The great thing is this happens every time I take my car out!

Here in Flint, MI just about everyone waves at each other when passing on the roads. Even motorcyclists have waved at me in my old Buicks. Now, THAT'S cool!

I also love it when the little kids roll down the window and give a big thumbs up sign. The best is when someone (usually in their 60's or 70's) tells me they probably bolted the bumpers onto my '56 when they were working at "the Buick". One guy got very misty-eyed one day while looking at my Special from behind the wheel of his new Park Avenue. I'm danged near positive he would have traded even up right on the spot!

Bob Leets grin.gifgrin.gif

I always give a wave or nod and smile in appreciation. It's best when that young fan from the back seat of a Benz/Lexus/Grand Chair O Key yells "why can't we have a cool car like that" as the parent glares in disgust at them.

Around here only drivers of the same "brand" seem to see each other. Very sad.

That seems to be true about the same brand wave even down here in "friendly" Texas. I really don't want to start a ruckus but somebody driving an old Camaro won't wave at my 55. The other thing I'm kinda surprised about is that we have alot of Biker Rallys down here and the bikers NEVER wave. Not once. Even when I've got the top down and we make eye contact and I wave first (or thumbs up). I agree with Dave that we are ambassadors and we have to be (almost overly) nice, so I'm not that concerned about it. I'm just happy when I'm driving one of my cars, so I smile easily. smile.gif

Mike