1955 322 thermostat, what degree?????

FireballV8

Whew (Tom wiping forehead), I made a good guess in buying a 160. For just the reason the previous post said 'caught in traffic'. When it's 98 degrees and I'm sitting in traffic I just watch that needle climb to 'H' and I've been lucky she hasn't blown with the 180 in her now.<P>I'm installing the 160 this weekend before the temps start to climb around here.<P>Thanks for the information (I just LOVE this forum)!!! grin.gif" border="0

Shop manual says "Volatile (alcohol) type anti-freeze solutions up to 50% may be used with the standard 106º radiator thermostat. If a non-volatile (ethylene glycol) type solution is used, the higher limit 180º radiator thermostat may be used to improve car heater performance."<P>As one would have trouble finding anything other than ethylene glycol coolant today either should be okay. Probably a good idea to go with the 160º unit if the climate is hot where you live.<P>Gene

• 2 weeks later...

What model car? I've got a '54 Special, and it didn't come from the factory with a radiator fan shroud. It also has a smaller radiator than a Roadmaster, etc. The factory fan shroud will bolt to the bigger rad, but not the Special's.<BR>I've upgraded to a RoadMaster radiator, a factory fan shroud, and a six blade fan to move more air.<BR>Unfortunately, the clutch died before I could install the bigger rad, and the engine is now out and will be replaced with a '56 322.<BR>Oh, and I can tell you from experiance in Florida's summer weather, with the small rad, no shroud, and A/C that "Water Wetter" does indeed work. It drops the temp nicely.<BR>Good luck<BR>-Brad

When you put that 322 where you took a 264 out,check the stator.If you leave the Special stator in,you will have more RPM's than you may want

Thank you for the tip, but I've got a manual trans in it. I have an old Cragar bellhousing to adapt a Ford T-85 to it, but I'd like to find one to adapt a GM trans--Either way, it's going to have a 3spd OD manual trans, either Ford or Chevy.

Guest oldtimer

i would go with a 160 and use around a 60/40 or even 70/30 (water/coolant) if you change the coolant once a year. the coolant is thicker then water and holds the heat, you need just enough coolant for rust protection.

When I was young mechanic I remember people changing to summer thermostats 160 degree opening and winter thermostats 180/190 opening. But the radiator size, coolant flow and quality always controlled how well the lower temperature thermostats could control engine heat. Breaking a rebuilt engine in with a lower temperature thermostat may have some merit depending on quality of the engine rebuild.