Gee, do you think there's collector interest in '57 Caballeros?

Centurion

It had seemed for many years that the Buick convertibles -- especially the '53 and '54 Skylarks -- garnered most of the collector interest in 1950's-era Buicks.

I've been particularly struck during the last couple of years with the growing interest in the '57 Caballeros. It seems to me that these are the new, "hot" collectible Buick from the '50's. Within the last year, I have seen "wanted" ads from several individuals on the BCA and AACA forums.

The bidding on the current '57 Caballero on Ebay reveals a great deal about the extent of the interest in this model. In this case, there is a single photo on the Ebay listing, and the car is shown with incorrect tires and wheels. (Apparently, the correct, original wheels are included with the purchase.) Given the Ebay listing's shortcomings, the strong interest in this car is all the more remarkable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...sspagename=WDVW

Guest my3buicks

Certainly a model that deserves it - after all, it was GM's top of the line wagon in 57 - always has been on my top 6 wanted list

Wow!!! You're right Centurion... That is some bid history. I always liked wagons, and these 57's are real works of art ( IMHO) and this one being a California car seems to be beautiful. Sure wish I could afford it myself...

JohnD

Guest imported_Thriller

A buddy of mine is working on a '58 Caballero...gonna be a neat car someday...he also has a 38 Special, 47 (I think I got the right year...could be 49) Roadmaster convertible that is nearly done, 7X boattail Riviera...um, I think that is it...he told me last night he was giving a bit of interest to a 67 Riviera he came across.

Derek, I think that the '58 Caballero is a sleeper. These have not yet caught on to quite the extent that the '57's have, but they are less common and I have confidence that their time will soon come.

If I were in the market for a Caballero, I would be concentrating on the '58's. Yes, I understand that the '57 style is preferred, but the '58 is appealing in its own right. I think it's more likely that a '58 could be obtained for a reasonable price.

Guest 70 Electra

Did you see the note the seller added, stating he'd end the auction right now for (a mere) $28,000?? Whewwww, that's pretty steep!

Guest 70 Electra

No disrespect to the seller's car, but I hadn't pegged this car as being either #1 or #2. In any case, the one thing ebay seems to be good at is determining the actual market value (for a point in time).

Guest my3buicks

It is certainly hard to establish the condition of this car with the limited info and pictures that are given. My point was that the market/value is there if the car warrants it.

The 1957 model 49D and 69 were 4 dr hard top wagons, and the model 49 was a regular 4dr post . The model 69 was the Caballero and had a fancy interior and the 364 with a 4bbl and high compression. The model 49 and 49D had a plain interior and 2bbl low compreeion engine. The Caballero also had chrome roof rails that set it off.I had a 57 that I used to pull a 1954 Airstream all over the country back in the late 70s and early 80s

Guest Skyking

The Caballero was probably the sister to the Nomad, only in a 4dr H.T. version.......

Does anyone remember the series Rescue 8 on television in the 50's? It was about 2 buddies who worked on a rescue vechicle. One of them owned a 58 Caballero that was always parked out in front of the station. In a couple of the series I remember them driving it. My parents' T.V. back then was in black & white so I don't know what color the car would have been.........

Either way, I like both years..........

Guest John Chapman

Brian,

I'm almost certain that this is the Cab that was shown at the All GM show in LA earlier this year. Very nice car. One unusal item was that it still had a late-50's era remote garage door opener installed. This was an under-hood unit about the size of a one pound butter tub. The owner was quite pleased at how few folks could identify it...

Cheers,

JMC

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> One unusal item was that it still had a late-50's era remote garage door opener installed. This was an under-hood unit about the size of a one pound butter tub.

Cheers,

JMC </div></div>

John, this is one device I never heard of...... confused.gif

Guest my3buicks

There was one on ebay a year or two ago that was installed in a pristine 56 Roadmaster from a California estate - was said to still work.

• 2 weeks later...

I thoughtI would bring this to the top again. I am a bit confused about these 4 dr. hardtop wagons. As best I understand, the '57s and '58s both had a Special and Century 4 door hartop wagons called Riviera, but only the Century models carried the Caballaro name.

Oddly enough, I see that the Special models, while not as powerful and trimmed out as the other were produced in lower quantities, and book values seem almost as high.

I would imagine that the Super models might be easier to find any missing parts. I have a lead on two wagons, one a '57 Special. and the other apparently a '58 also apparently a Special. I am not sure but it might be a Century, because the '58s do not have the easy porthole identifier. I am debating what to do next. Maybe wait for a real Caballaro (Century), but the '57 looks nice and most complete. I have only seen a single picture thus far, so I am not sure of conditions. Can anyone with more info on the Caballaro and the others provide me with some guidance.

If you want, e mail me at j.scheib@comcast.net

John

Guest my3buicks

John, for the engine difference alone I would wait for a 'Century" - I had a Special Estate Wagon, I think the interior on the Century wagon is a little nicer also. They are both beutiful wagons - In my opinion one of the most beautiful wagons ever built. The Caballero will always have an edge in the sales department over the Special just as they do in the regular cars. Plus, wouldn't it be nice owning the "top of the line" GM wagon of the time ! ! !

Keith,

Yes it would be nice. I guess I favor the '57 over the '58, as maybe a bit to much bright stuff. But in reading the Buick History, I guess the market did not think much of the '57s at the time (my time actually), and I always liked the 55s and 56s.

We will see. I see on e-bay I missed one in Texas, if I recall. I will see what develops with the two others. I think the salvage yard is closing and would hate to see them go to the crusher.

John

I was reading the discussion here and thought I'd jump in. I am Derek's buddy with the 58 Caballero. I saved the car a few years ago. So it wasn't a matter of going out and looking for a 57 or 58. I saw the car advertised locally and ( as luck would have it, I had taken the week off work to play with the cars) so I 'snuck over' just to take a look. I tell my wife that it doesn't cost any thing to take a look. ( After all our years of marriage though, she knows what that means).

The amount of chrome and stainless steel is imcredible, and the style of the 58's, in fact all of GM's 58's, were amazing. They stepped out of the 3 year styling cycle and produced a unique set of cars for 58. I'm told 58 was a recession year ( I was too young to know from experience) so the overall production and sales are low for all GM 58's. That could be another reason why you don't see many 58's around.

When I saw this 58 Caballero, I saw its former glory and potential. It has a lot of factory and dealer installed options and accessories and it is basically an unmolested original car. On top of the upscale Century features, it has power windows, dual trailmaster lights, wonderbar radio with power antenna, and the perfect finishing touch for an old wagon, the chrome roof rack. Who couldn't fall in love with a car like that?

I 'hid' it for a few years, but now I have dragged it home to start to work on it. I would like to share pictures and info on 57 and 58 Buick wagons with others wagon owners and fans of the wagon, so if I can offer any help let me know. One item I am very interested in getting more info on is the 'junior seat' offered as a factory option. I think mine had one, ( it also has the 1/3-2/3 split rear seat), and I'd like to find one or the details I need to build a replica. Does any one know how they attached? they seem to just sit 'loose' in the rear of the cargo compartment area, but they must have 'snapped down' to something to resist flying around in the back on sudden stops, turns, etc.

I was a BCA member years ago,( I have a very low membership number as I recall )got busy making a living and spent more time with local clubs where ever we lived. I had a yahoo site , but I've canned that now. You can see pictures of the 58 wagon in the Me and My Buicks topic group now.

Yea, the car is pretty straight and complete.

It suffers the usual floor rot from damp/wet carpets, but that can be fixed no problem.

I had hoped I could do a little clean up and get the engine fired up, but no such luck.

I have slowly worked my way right into the engine and it is stuck , but good.

Since it is the original block ( number matches the car serial #), I am 'compelled' to fix it. I have the 'need' to keep all things stock/original. I don't know why, I just like 'original'or restored 'original like'.

That leads me to an interesting topic...why do people call cars 'restored' when they are built with a lot of personal preferences, such as non original colours, interiors not offered in that year, changed year transmissions, etc?

John,

The pictures of the '58 have excited me again. I am still working toward finding one, and now I know the lettering on the '58 is on the rear fender, rather then the sweep spear on the '57. I was not sure the photos I had been looking at on the cars was an actual '58 Cab, or the Special version of the 4dr. hardtop. So thanks for that help and I will sure be in contact with you if I take ownership of one. Even if I do not, as I am interested in these cars. The only thing that might pull me inanother direction would be a '40s sedanette.

John

John

The only location of Caballero script on the 58 is on the rear side trim (same place you find the scripts on the large series cars.)

The interior appears to be all Century, with Century on the door panels. The Caballero seat trim is different from the Century ( see pictures of my 58 wagon ).

If you come across a third seat ( junior seat) I'd really appreciate any pictures or a lead on a live one I might be able to get my hands on.

• 3 months later...
Guest ewing

I've come to the conclusion that I have too many projects. And I just don't have the time to devote to the 58 Caballero.

I am going to offer it for sale, so if you ( or any one you know )are interested I'd be happy to send more pictures, and more info on condition.

I'll need to set a price, so I will be doing that shortly.

If any one wants more info, off the board, send me your email address and I'll answer any questions directly.

To give you a better idea on the options, in addition to the Century standard equipment, it has,

wonderbar radio, electric antenna, roof rack, 02 nice trailmaster lights, power windows, 1/3,2/3 split rear seat, ( and the usual PS,PB).

Car is complete but motor is stuck. All original. Needs full restoration.

Read above in thread for more info.

you can get my email address by clicking on my name , my email address is listed, just remove the words, remove no spam.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
Guest ewing

here's another 58 caballero.pretty rough

The dollar offered for these project wagons is going up.

58 on ebay

Just to clarify my posts above, I'm keeping my caballero [ for now!]

Yea, I'm not sure about the floor in that one. Looks pretty rough.

2 notes:

How is the grille (grille squares) put together on 58's? Is it in sections so that the missing section in the photo can just be replaced?

And, is that a vehicle specific "Caballero" script on the drivers front door?

If so, that's pretty cool.

Bryan Moran

1949 Roadmaster 2 door sedanette

1968 Riviera

1973 Centurion convertible

1986 Century GS

Guest ewing

The grilles are like pot metal cast pieces, a left side and a right side. So the missing squares can't really be replaced, the whole side of the grill needs to be replaced. A creative guy could maybe haywire in a row of squares to fill the gap temporarily.

The inside door panels have the normal 'Century' script. What I find interesting about the century door panel script is that the right and left side scripts slant in opposite directions, so the lettering on both sides slants to the rear of the car. [ on the driver side the c is to the rear of the car, and on the passenger side the c is to the front of the car]. Neat eh?

For you guys with century's, if you've never noticed that, take a look and see what I mean.