WTB WWW tires for 54 Roadmaster

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

I am beginning my search for a set of 800-15 WWW tires for my 1954 Roadmaster 72R (4 door). As the car only has 13,000 miles, I assume the tire in the trunk is either the original spare or very low mileage wheel tire. It has some hubcap scratches on the original red painted rim but the tread is like new. The whitewall on it measures 4 inches. It is a GENERAL TIRE 4 ply "Silent Safety" Does anyone know for sure if that is the correct width white wall for 1954. A couple of my other original 54's have some old bias-plys with 3 inch whites on them. Also does anyone reproduce the General Tire brand.

I will appreciate any references and experiences anyone has had with different repro tire dealers. I don't mind traveling a few hours there and back to save on shipping.

I'd recommend a set of WWW radials. If you're going to drive the car at all, the radials would be the best choice. If you REALLY want the genuine style for showing and such, you might think about getting a set of four and having them mounted on four spare wheels to swap on and off during shows (you probably don't have to go too far to get a couple of spare rims!).

That would be my suggestion. 'Course, I'm one of those modifyin' Heathens! tongue.gif

-Brad

MrEarl,

I recommend you contact John Kelsey at Kelsey Tire Inc. in Camdenton, MO. His number is 800-325-0091. He controls the reproduction General Tire in the Dual 90 series only, which I believe you'll find very suitable. The Silent Safety mold is no longer available, however the Dual 90 is a great looking tire. I've owned many of them over the years. Again, contact Mr. Kelsey and ask if he has inventory or current production running on these. One of the sizes he offers is the 800X15 and has a white wall width up to 3 1/2 inches.

Rick

Lamar, it sounds to me that a car like this is a good candidate for the BCA's Archival Award, and I think you will be better satisfied with the correct appearance of bias ply tires.

I have had two sets of radials on my '59 Buick, but have gone back to bias ply. The car rides and handles fine with the bias plies. I could not discern any significant handling improvement with the radials, and I prefer the car's appearance and stance with the bias plies.

Lamar

As far as I have been able to figure out on 55's. THe original tires could have been US Royal, Firestone, General & BFGoodrich Silvertown tires in 8.00 x 15. Now I have a 55 Roadmaster 2 door hardtop with 11,000 original miles on it and with two original tires, the spare and one of the tires that was in the rear. I changed all the tires except the spare. The only 8.00 x 15 tires I found were the Coker Classics, so I opted to go with the correct brand and incorrect size of 8.20 x 15 Firestone tires from Coker. They look excellent on the car and the car drives extremely well. BTW I don't believe in using radials on 50's Buicks as they were not designed for radial tires. I think the forces which act on the suspension and the wheels are greatly different between radials and bias ply tires.

The correct whitewall width for the 55 was 3" or just a bit over 3", 54 may have been a bit larger or the same, but not smaller.

Attached is a picture of the original spare.

Hope this helps, please email me a few pictures of your car steveclassic@earthlink.net

thanks

Guest imported_MrEarl

Brad-Now if I had your money I'd just go buy me a driver set and a show set. And a set of Kelsey-Hayes to put them on. But since I've been saving for a year for something to replace those hideous "Hollywood's" that are on her now I think I'll have to go with the bias-plys.

Willie-She drives like she just came off the showroom floor so bias-plys should do just fine.

Rick-Thanks, I'll contact John tommorow. the "Silent Safety" appears on the blackwall side of the spare in the trunk so would not be readily visible and I think it would be cool to have a set of five Generals. I checked out your website by the way. cool.gif Some beautiful cars you've had a hand in restoring. I really like the 54 Cadillac.

Brian- Your usual way with words..."I prefer the cars appearance and stance with the bias-plies". Yup, "Stance" is what it's all about and the thin whitewalled radials on her now just don't give none of that.

Thanks guys. Now if I can just find out for sure that the whitewall should be 4 inches. I should have that somehwere myself. I just need to dig further.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Fireball,

For some reason I had missed your post til now. sorry...

I'm still researching to make sure the 4 inch width is correct but I am suspecting it is. As Rick Hoover suggested I contacted Kelsey and they do not have 4 inch currently in inventory but will run some early next year, so I will have til then to figure out for sure. Hopefully the General Dual 90 looks as good as the Silent Safety I have in the trunk. A set of four 800-15's delivered to GA is gonna run about $500 which ain't bad is it? It will be interesting to see (feel) the difference when I switch from those radials to bias.

Wow, I'd love to hear more about your 11,000 mile 55 Roady. I'll swap ya some photos, how 'bout that.