Value of an old winch?

When we were at the Dublin OH National meet I was talking to my daughter around an old wrecker. I mentioned that there was an old winch like the one on this wrecker up on and old trailer at her grandma?s house. The owner of the truck heard me and asks if I wanted to sell it. I told him it wasn?t mine but I?m sure my mom would sell it if someone wanted it it hasn?t been touch in 40 years.

He asks me to take some pictures, will the first chance I got was Thanksgiving.

The photos are at:

http://beaver.vinu.edu/11-23-2004%20winch/index.html

I think it is off of an old ford AA wrecker my dad used to have at his Coal yard for moving coal shoots around. I did not see any name on it anywhere

I have no idea what it is worth or even if it is worth a 500 mile trip with the tools to remove it from its 50 year perch.

Anyone have any idea what it is worth so I'l know what to ask and someone doesn?t take advantage of my 84 year old mother.

Jay, while some antiques are quite valuable, most old things are just that, old things. This winch is neat and interesting, but it has limited applications. It has been rusting there for 40-50 yrs without a second thought from anyone, at this point it is hardly like anyone is going to be taking advantage of you. A piece like this is only worth what someone will give you for it. I agree with the first poster, if that guy will give you 250 for it and go take it off the farm, then that is probably as fair a price as your going to get.

UNLESS, of course, YOU take it off, take it apart, sandblst it, oil/lube it, put it back together, get it working and looking like new again, etc.

JMHO, as a tinkerer/trader in old machinery and salvage.

Guest Indiana_Truck

Jay,

You might post this question on the ATHS web site. The guys there know a lot about old trucks and truck parts. I think the $250 sounds fair but would still ask the pros in the subject at http://aths.org/forum2/default.asp?b=1

You never know when you might have something worth $10 or $10,000 till the right person tells you.

Bob