Carburator problems and a possible replacement

pistoncollector

I have a 1910 Overland. It uses a Schebler type L carburator. I have rebuilt the carb but it doesn't seem to function any better. The engine runs but appears to be starving for gas. But I have had the Schebler off the car so many times that it knows how to come off by its self now. So I am looking for another carb to use temporarily until I can figure out what is wrong with my Schebler.

I can use any carb with a 2 11/16" center to center bolt on distance. It needs to be updraft and ideally it would have the flange perpendicular to the centerline of the carburator, but this is not a determining factor. Likely candidates are: Schebler, Stromberg, Zenith, Marvel

If you have a solution to my carb problem, or a carb that I can purchase, please contact me.

PAI

Paul,

Send me an e-mail so that I may get your e-mail address.

I had what I think you need and gave it to a mutual friend of ours a couple of years ago. I don't think he ever used it, and if not I'm sure he would pass it on to you.

Howard

Pistoncollector.....I don't know exactly what carburator to recommend to replace your troublesome Schebler model "L" ; however, I would pay attention to the displacement of your engine when choosing a replacement. As I understand in 1910 Overland built two different engines, a 25hp 4 cyl and a 35hp 4 cyl. I would also reccomend you obtain a copy of an early "Dyke's Automobile and Gasoline Engine Encyclopedia" as it has a very good article on the care and adjustment of Schebler model "L" carbs. From what I see in the article these are simple units. Since you have seemingly had the carb off many times and have gone through it thoroughly the problem might not be with the carb, I would check for intake manifold leaks or proper intake valve openning. The cam could be worn so as to restrict the height to which the valve opens; thus restricting inflow of the combustion mixture.

A friend helped me with a similar problem. Carefully, very carefully, with the carb in place and the engine running, use an unlit propane torch to flow a small amount of propane around all of the gasketed area that the mixture passes by. Include the valve guides. You may be surprised to find the source of the lean mixture. I was.

The Schebler Model L carburetor was troublesome when new, and unlike a fine wine, not improved by age.

Finding a suitable replacement requires several items of data, some of which you have already supplied. The flange size center-to-center of 2 and 11/16 inches is referred to as an S.A.E. (Society of Automotive Engineers) size 2 flange. Most updraft carburetors were of the straight flange configuration; however you have indicated the need for a cross-flange carburetor. Stromberg is probably the best source for cross-flange carburetors, and they will be identified with the letter "X" in the carburetor type - eg a Stromberg model O-2 is a straight flange size two carburetor, whereas a Stromberg model OX-2 is a cross flange size 2 carburetor. Zenith also made a few cross flange units as did Schebler in their later model S (also problematic). Carter did not offer a cross flange updraft carburetor in S.A.E. size 2.

Another option (assuming you have the room) would be a cross flange adapter. This can be easily machined from a piece of aluminum flat stock of thickness 3/4 inch to 1 inch, and simply looks like two carburetor flanges welded together at a 90 degree angle. The use of an adapter opens up additional manufacturers of carburetors to use.

The other item of data needed is engine size. The size 2 is a physical size only. Within each physical size carburetor, there may be as many as 10 different internal venturi sizes; and the venturi area is what determines airflow. It is important to size the carburetor airflow capacity to the airflow requirement of the engine.

However, before "throwing rocks" at the carburetor, as others have mentioned, checking the ignition system and general engine condition is a good idea. The best carburetor in the world will not solve a faulty ignition system.

Jon.

Jon,

Great feedback. I have located a Stromberg L2 with the cross flange, 2 11/16" centers, and the correct venturi size. So I am set for the carburator right now. But it is being shipped and I have not recieved it yet.

In the meantime I checked the magneto and it is "hot". I am now trying to check the ignition timing of the engine. This is not real intuitive. I even asked a friend of mine who owns a 1910 Overland Model 42 and he wasn't sure what to do either. Do you have any information on timing this engine? Lastly, I plan to do a compression check to help determine the condition of the valves.

Any other ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks.............PAI