1972 Electra - another oddly equipped

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

Phil- I saw a local late 60s Riviera for sale today with the exact same hubcap we talked about. I noticed the difference you mentioned- on the Buick- the center looks to stick out more than it does on the Chevrolet wheelcover.

You mentioned other hubcaps that Buick used also found on 68' Chevrolets. The only 68' Chevrolet hubcaps I can think of- I have never seen on a Buick, but I think I know the ones you are referring to. I think they are the covers that were installed on the 69' Caprice with the disc brake option- which added 15 inch wheels. Ironically, these are the hubcaps my 69' Caprice had originally. I removed them when I installed the deluxe covers. Here is a photo of my Caprice with the original wheelcovers before I removed them. These look very similar to ones I have seen on 68' LeSabres before. Are these the ones you are referring to? Photo attached.

Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tony, these hubcaps are the same (with different centers) as those found on the 67-68-69-70 Buick Riviera with the super deluxe wheelcovers. The 1967 standard Riviera hubcaps (also found on many LeSabres and Wildcats) were also used on some 68 full size Chevrolets. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

Here is a better photo of that cover.

I went on e-bay and looked at 68' LeSabre and of those they are different, so I am obviously wrong about that. Not sure what year/model of Buick, but I am most sure I have seen a late 60s Buick with a very similar looking hubcap.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks. That is what I was thinking. I was most sure I had seen similar covers on a Buick before. I was told that as far as the Chevrolets go, that these were only on the 69 Caprice (perhaps Impala as well) with the disc brake option - it was the standard hubcap for the 15 inch wheels. I am guessing that some were also available on the late 68's as well. I have not seen an Impala with these, but I am sure some had them originally.

I liked the 68' Caprice hubcaps better and had bought some on e-bay, but when I got them, they were too small. They were 14 inch. I am guessing that cover was available in 15 inch as well, but they may not have been and like you said- the 68s with the ones like mine probably had disc brakes. I did not know they had 14 inch, but I was informed on the Chevrolet forums when I asked about it, that the disc brake cars added 15 inch wheels- which is why they would not fit my car. I posted photos of the above hubcap, asking if they were original, because I had never personally seen that cover before. I was told by various people that the factory hubcap (above photo) on my car was actually rare and a well sought after hubcap. I am going to keep them if I ever get tired of my finned covers- probably won't though, because I really like the deluxe finned covers better.

Thanks again.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks Phil for those photos!

I will revise this post- as I just found this auction and answered my own question which was "are the centers the only difference". I guess so- here is a e-bay link for a 67' Wildcat hubcap that looks identical, save for the center emblem. Strange that Buick and Chevrolet "shared" at least two different wheelcovers that I am aware of.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...153250&rd=1

Again, for quick comparison- photo of my hubcap posted on attachment above

Thanks again Phil for that info again!

Guest Shaffer

About an hour on the above 72' Electra. Still no bids. $12,000 is steep indeed!

As promised on the other thread- here is another early 70s GM car that I found interesting. This is one of the more unusual Pontiacs I have seen in a while.

Top of the line Pontiac- 1972 Grand Ville 4dr

optioned as follows:

automatic climate control A/C

power seats

power locks

cruise control

AM radio

bumper strips

(appears to have power trunk, but I could be wrong).

What I found interesting about this one is that auto climate, power seat and cruise are some of the rarer options on these cars- all of which this car has, but it lacks some of the more popular options they have, such as tilt wheel, vinyl top and power windows. Even though I have seen several without these options as well- bit usually models with cruise and power seat, have power windows and tilt as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...sspagename=WDVW

And here is a 71' Buick LeSabre 4dr hardtop I found interesting. Looks to be a "plain jane". No A/C, no tilt, no cruise, nor any other power options I notice. Exterior also very lowly optioned. I only see door edge guards. I cannot tell if it has a radio or not. I think I see a knob there. It is really a nice car. I have always liked the 4dr hardtop 71-74 LeSabres. This one also has a nice color combination.

Enjoy!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...ssPageName=WDVW

Here is another low optioned 71' LeSabre Custom- this one is a convertible. Someone here should buy this! Buy it now for only $1200!

Again- no A/C or any power options that I notice. I think I see speed alert option however- interesting. Has bumper guards and side moldings.

Someone should grab this one. Unless it is totally rotted out- this is a steal.

I think this is the rarest of all:

1971 Chevrolet Impala 4dr sedan - was original 6-cylinder, 3-speed manual. I assume it is still 3-speed, but looks like it has a V8 now. Less than 1000 built in late 70, as automatic became standard later in the 71 model year.

Interesting too that it has vinyl top and side moldings.

Another odd one- 73 Impala 4dr hdtp - power locks, but no power windows.

I have an oddly equipted 76 Electra 225. The sun roof is installed on the front seat.Some parts are on floor behind the front seat. Question, was the 76 Electra factory equipted with a sun roof? If so, dose anyone want this one?

Terry29-26

Guest Shaffer

I think it was an option, but I guess someone that knows a little more about the 76' Electras would be able to verify.

Guest Shaffer

72Buickguy- looking back- I remembered that I forgot to ask you this. Would you happen to know the base price of the 72' Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight with the "Regency" option?

Although this 72' Olds Ninety-Eight does not have the "Regency" option, I am guessing this is the color that was only available with that option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...bayphotohosting

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a sales folder issued in 1972 for the 72 Olds 98 Regency. It says it is a special edition car to celebrate Olds' 75th anniversary. The folder says that production will be limited to 5000, and that the option is only available in a 4 door and only in an exclusive Tiffany Gold color. It shows the black velour interior and mentions that gold was another interior choice. It must have been so popular that Olds made it a regular production item for 73. That car must have made the Cadillac dealers unhappy, because the interior is much plusher than anything they offered for 72. I think that car was the first of the super plush crushed velour interior cars. Shortly after that, Buick offered a Park Avenue option and Cadillac offered the Talisman. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it was an option, but I guess someone that knows a little more about the 76' Electras would be able to verify. </div></div>

Yes, power sunroof was an option on 2 door models, 1976 was also the first year for the power moonroof on Electras (glass roof).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Philippe:

Can you explain the difference between sunroof and moonroof? Back in 29 they had a roof or no roof and it didn't matter if it was day or night.

Terry29-26 </div></div>

grin.gif I can't explain why GM called it a "moonroof", later, they called it "astroroof" confused.gif.

Guest Shaffer

I know that on the later model cars- a "sunroof" was metal and a "moonroof" was glass.

I have no idea however. confused.gif

Here's an ad for the 72 Regency, I have seen 1972 or 1973 Regency ads in my old National Geographic magazines. If I remember well, of them showed Tiffany's chairman commenting the Regency. This car had one of the plushest interiors of it's period. In my opinion, only the newer 1974-76 Cadillac Talisman and 1975-76 Buick Park Avenue surpassed it.

72oldsregencytiff.jpg

Guest Shaffer

Thansk very much Philippe for providing that ad. I actually have that ad somewhere as well. I had totally forgot about it. I agree with you- the interior is very plush for a car of that era. My uncle has a 1972 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham 4dr and if I recall, as far as the seats go, the 72' Olds Ninety-Eight Regency is even more luxurious than the Fleetwood- which was probably about $2000 higher in price.

As a comparison- here is a 1973 Cadillac Sedan DeVille.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Notice that the Cadillac lacks tilt wheel. I guess this could go under "oddly equipped". grin.gif

I was thinking tilt was standard on the Cadillacs for 73', but obviously not. My 72 Sedan DeVille had tilt and telescope.

The interior of the Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency (at least the seating) is much more plush than in the Cadillac. If I recall- the interior of the 73' Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight, is identical to the 72' model, but it was offered in many more colors for 73'. I personally like the 73' Ninety-Eight better for some reason. I could not find any interior photos of the 73' now (will have to find my 73' Oldsmobile brochure), but here is an exterior photo of a 73' Regency- which ironically is in the same color that the 72' was only available in- the gold color.

http://i8.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/70/4c/2f_12_sb.JPG

I think I mentioned it before, but I remember that I have an ad for a light blue 73' Regency 4dr- that I think is a beautiful car. I am just not wild about the instrument cluster styling on the 71-73 Oldsmobiles.

Here is a photo of a 2dr 73' 98 in that color-

http://i20.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/69/b8/cc_12_sb.JPG

Thanks again!

Ha-ha, Shaffer, you are funny. I totally agree with you on your opinion of the dash styling of the '71 to '73 Oldsmobiles. Along with the '73 Pontiacs, I currently own a '73 Olds 88 Royale Convertible & a '73 88 Royale 4 door hardtop. I think they are beautifully styled vehicles other than the dash.

Those dashes are a pain as well, as the factories changed to a different type of woodgrain overlay (inlay?) that fades to a chalky mess & is impossible to refinish. These pieces have all the writing on them as well, so you can't just make up an inlay & make it look original. Also, the right & left clusters are externally lit -- the lenses that hold the bulbs in the dash become brittle from age/heat & next thing you know, you have bulbs literally hanging out of the dash. Oh, and changing the driver's side dash speaker is nearly impossible without some major disassembly!

The dash material however, is much more durable than the garbage pads they put in the '73 to '76 Pontiacs; you seldom see a '71 to '73 Olds with a cracked dashpad while you hardly ever see a '73 to '76 Pontiac with an uncracked dashpad. Be careful when you get in & out of your GrandVille -- watch those knees!

By the way, I think the '73 & '74 Pontiac has the prettiest & most functional dash out of all the B-body cars. I just wished the pads would hold up a little better.

Junqueboi

Guest Shaffer

Yeah- agreed about the cracking. The 71-76 Chevrolets were even worse for cracking of the dash pads. Most I have seen have cracks. The 65-70s were not bad at all- which is strange- also this is the same story with the Pontiacs. They must have changed the material on the 71 models. I too have not seen many Oldsmobiles, or Buicks with cracked dashes from this era, but I have seen some Buicks with cracks. LOL about the knee statement- you are 100% correct. I am suprised that it is not cracked on that lower corner on my car, because most every 71-76 Pontiac I have seen has it all busted up there where knees have hit it. I try to be very careful. Also too, my dash is still pliable there. I do have a small 1/4 inch crack on the right side of my dash, that has not spread. I plan on taking it and having it repaired before it spreads.

About the Olds dashes- I actually like the style- its just the actual cluster that I think looks "boring". I distinctly remember this dash, because back in the 80s, we had a 1972 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 2-door hardtop in EC, that was originally my grandfathers car. It was about the same color of brown as my Pontiac. I do not remember anything about how it was equipped except I remember it had a tan vinyl top, side moldings, bumper guards and factory wheels that were gray. I have never personally seen another with these wheels, but they were original. If I recall- they were flexible or something. ???? confused.gif

Interesting what you said about the bulbs in the cluster on the Oldsmobiles- do you mean that they literally fall down and hang in the cluster? I do not remember our old 72' doing this, but it was only about 10-15 years old at the time. I also used to have a 71' Oldsmobile Toronado that had the same dash.

I agree with you about the Pontiac dash- they are functional, but I personally like the dash in the 71-73 Cadillacs the best, then the 71-74 Chevrolets and Pontiacs run a close 2nd. Then I like the Buick- then Olds. Out of the Pontiacs- I really like the dash on the 71-72 Pontiacs- (see attachment of this 72' Grand Ville)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha-ha, Shaffer, you are funny. I totally agree with you on your opinion of the dash styling of the '71 to '73 Oldsmobiles. Along with the '73 Pontiacs, I currently own a '73 Olds 88 Royale Convertible & a '73 88 Royale 4 door hardtop. I think they are beautifully styled vehicles other than the dash.

Those dashes are a pain as well, as the factories changed to a different type of woodgrain overlay (inlay?) that fades to a chalky mess & is impossible to refinish. These pieces have all the writing on them as well, so you can't just make up an inlay & make it look original. Also, the right & left clusters are externally lit -- the lenses that hold the bulbs in the dash become brittle from age/heat & next thing you know, you have bulbs literally hanging out of the dash. Oh, and changing the driver's side dash speaker is nearly impossible without some major disassembly!

The dash material however, is much more durable than the garbage pads they put in the '73 to '76 Pontiacs; you seldom see a '71 to '73 Olds with a cracked dashpad while you hardly ever see a '73 to '76 Pontiac with an uncracked dashpad. Be careful when you get in & out of your GrandVille -- watch those knees!

By the way, I think the '73 & '74 Pontiac has the prettiest & most functional dash out of all the B-body cars. I just wished the pads would hold up a little better.

Junqueboi </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

Yep- thats the exact same hubcap that my 69 Caprice has, except the emblem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got back from Alabama..visiting my junkyard. I happened upon this little dude amongst a pile-o-hubcaps I had stored in an old van. I believe I got it off a '67 LeSabre I used to have. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

Oh - speaking of dash cracks- here is my "cracked up" dash on my old 1971 Chevrolet Caprice I had about 4-5 years ago. Seems like it was much longer than that though. It had a good running 400 with a 400 turbo.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/eve/ubb.x/a/ga/ul/2931083501/inlineimg/Y/71capricedash.JPG

This car was 100% rust free. Not too oddly optioned. It only had the following options - standard A/C, tilt steering wheel, AM radio, and vinyl top. Not too many 71' Caprice's had tilt wheel, so I guess it could be a little "oddly" optioned. grin.gif

My 72' Electra had no cracks-

It did have the tape stuck on there that you can see in the photos. I have no idea why the previous owner did that. confused.gif

http://forums.performanceyears.com/eve/ubb.x/a/ga/ul/1931083501/inlineimg/Y/72electradashpanel.JPG

Yeh, GM must have changed to a different vinyl product in the early 70s. The last strong Olds dash was '73. The '74s & later ones got progressively worse. Just about any late 70s car will have a cracked dash. I have been looking for a decent dash for my '78 Holiday 88 for a few years & have yet to find a light blue one.

Tony, those wheels you are talking about are Super Stock IV wheels, offered on only the '71 & '72 Delta 88 cars. Very rare option! It took me about four years of digging to round up a set; they are in my basement & will hopefully go on the '73 if I can ever get the car up here from AL. They are made of the same stuff the Pontiac Honeycomb wheels are made of...that "Polycast" stuff.

I was driving through Raleigh the other day & saw a '71 D88 Convertible with those wheels on it -- absolutely gorgeous! I'd run downstairs & take a picture of one of the bare wheels, but I have a broken foot & cannot do #$%@.

Guest Shaffer

I agree with that. As mentioned, my 69' Caprice has a perfect dash, that is still supple, but my 71' Caprice dash was cracked to bits. I am guessing the only reason that the dash on my 73' Grand Ville is still supple is simply because it was stored indoors for many years. I still keep the car covered for further protection. I have NEVER put anything on the dash (such as cleaner or protectant) on it. I know I should do something, but unclear as to what. I have been hearing that something called "M3" or something like that should be used.

Thanks for that interesting information about the Oldsmobile wheels. I had wondered why I had personally never seen another with them. I remember they really helped the looks of the car. I have a old photograph of the car somewhere. I will have to try to find it. I did finally remember that it did have A/C (this was typical- as most southern cars of this era had air) and I think it had tilt. Do not recall power windows, locks, etc. I remember at the time, I hated the car. I wanted it to be a 4-door.grin.gif Now I like them all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeh, GM must have changed to a different vinyl product in the early 70s. The last strong Olds dash was '73. The '74s & later ones got progressively worse. Just about any late 70s car will have a cracked dash. I have been looking for a decent dash for my '78 Holiday 88 for a few years & have yet to find a light blue one.

Tony, those wheels you are talking about are Super Stock IV wheels, offered on only the '71 & '72 Delta 88 cars. Very rare option! It took me about four years of digging to round up a set; they are in my basement & will hopefully go on the '73 if I can ever get the car up here from AL. They are made of the same stuff the Pontiac Honeycomb wheels are made of...that "Polycast" stuff.

I was driving through Raleigh the other day & saw a '71 D88 Convertible with those wheels on it -- absolutely gorgeous! I'd run downstairs & take a picture of one of the bare wheels, but I have a broken foot & cannot do #$%@. </div></div>

Speaking about Olds Wheels, I have seen a few sixties and seventies full size Olds with strange wheels. One was a 1968 Ninty Eight sedan with disc brakes, it had silver painted wheels and small caps. I have seen a few 77-78 Eighty Eights with similar wheels but slightly different caps. I tried to find pics of these wheels on the net but I haven't found one. Does anybody have any info about these wheels?

Hmm, lost on the '68 wheel -- interesting though, maybe Rocketraider can provide some insight.

Strange how some of the '77 - '79 Olds cars had the small bolt pattern while some had the large bolt pattern. I know that I've seen a few (very few) '77, 8, or 9 Ninety-Eights with a chrome road wheel -- it looks almost like a standard wheel (only chrome). I assume it's a large-pattern wheel.

The '77s to '79 Deltas (I think) had the small bolt pattern wheel & you could order the SuperStock II wheels. My '78 Holiday 88 has the SSII wheels with the large center cap that covers the lugnuts.

You could also order chromed SSII wheels on the Delta in the '77-9 year range. They are rare! Actually only the center of the wheel is chrome; the outer lip is painted silver (they carried trim rings). I lucked up a set on a 4-door '78ish Delta in a junkyard in Alabama last year. Out of curiosity, I dismantled the interior till I found the build sheet. Yep, they were original -- option code was N78. I still have that sheet somewhere..

I brought one of those chrome wheels back with me so I can post a picture of it in a few days. My foot's hurting too bad right now, so going downstairs ain't an option..

Guest Shaffer

Another "oddly optioned" car, but this one is a Cadillac. It is a rough car for sure. I was very suprised when I saw it does NOT have tilt wheel, nor does it have cruise control.

Very rare indeed for a 73' Cadillac.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...eName=WDVW&rd=1

This next Cadillac- a 72' Sedan DeVille is just "oddly priced". Yes, it only has 37K, but I think that $21,000 for this car is too steep. If I was a millionare I would probably pay that though- since I am such a fan of the 72-73 Cadillac DeVille's:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...eName=WDVW&rd=1

Guest Shaffer

I think I seen some a while back on a car on here. I will look and see what I can find.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking about Olds Wheels, I have seen a few sixties and seventies full size Olds with strange wheels. One was a 1968 Ninty Eight sedan with disc brakes, it had silver painted wheels and small caps. I have seen a few 77-78 Eighty Eights with similar wheels but slightly different caps. I tried to find pics of these wheels on the net but I haven't found one. Does anybody have any info about these wheels? </div></div>

The 77-78 LeSabres also had both bolt patterns, I don't think it was related to engine size as there were ones with the same engines but different bolt patterns. All the 78-79 LeSabre Sport Coupes with the turbo V6 I have seen have the large bolt pattern and I remember that many 4 doors had the large bolt pattern too so it wasn't related to the body style either. I have seen LeSabres from each of the 3 years with both bolt patterns. I don't think I ever saw a 77-79 Electra or Riviera with the small bolt pattern wheels.

See the attachment for a picture of a 78 LeSabre with the small bolt pattern wheels.

Thanks for the pics. The '77-9 LeSabres were odd when it came to the bolt pattern too. I've seen them with both types of rally wheels. I should have paid more attention to that as I scarfed up all those build-sheets.

Never had too many from the Buicks though, as most were built in Flint, MI. Flint cars had near useless broadcast sheets in them.

ANYWAY, back to oddly optioned Buicks, check this '73 LeSabre out on E-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-LeS...1QQcmdZViewItem

Vinyl top, cornering lights(!), fender lamp monitors, deluxe bumper group, 6-way power bench, power windows, power locks, tilt, floor mats, clock, crappy AM radio, tripset/speed alert, A/C, remote mirror, rear defroster, & another unknown accessory -.

What could the other switch be for?? Seller stated car has windshield antenna, so it's obviously not a power antenna switch.. I wonder why the black/white photos? Probably trying to hide something. It seems like a majority of E-bay sellers are not on the up-and-up anymore.

Guest Shaffer

I agree. The 73' LeSabre Custom 2dr is most odd. I do not think I have ever personally seen a LeSabre 2dr of that era with so many options. It reminds me a lot of the "entry level" 73 Pontiac Catalina, on the 73 Catalina sales brochure, that is highly optioned. Not many 73' Pontiacs have the cornering light option, nor the "deluxe" finned hubcaps, but this one has both. Notice the lack of a vinyl top however.

I did read some informative news this evening about the 73' Oldsmobiles. We have been discussing the "98" models lately. I was looking through my 73' Oldsmobile sales brochure and learned some things about them. The Ninety-Eight Regency had power windows as standard, but most everything else was optional, even on those. It would be very interesting to locate a "low optioned" 72-73 Olds 98 Regency.

I also found out that for 73' (not sure what other years) that Olds offered a lamp monitor system a bit different from the Buicks. It told you what exterior lights out had out, but it was a light on the dash, rather than the lights on the front fenders. The Ninety-Eights also offered a "delay light" shut off (twilight sentinal). I do not think this was offered on the 73 Buicks? They also had an optional outside temperature guage, similar to that on the Cadillacs of the same era. This was even listed as an option on the entry level Delta 88, but I would imagine that it was rare on them. Again- I think another option that Buick did not offer?

I was really suprised at the photo of a "standard" 73' Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight. I noticed that it had loop pile carpet, rather than cut-pile. I guess that was reserved for the Ninety Eight "Luxury" and "Regency". It may have been optional on the base Ninety-Eight, as it was on the 73' Grand Ville (Custom option). It also had the short armrests like the Delta 88 had. Basically- looked like the door panels on the base Electras and other GM cars with these panels. One also shown also lacked power windows.

Another interesting thing- the Delta 88 Royale's (at least the 2-doors) had a distinct side molding trim. It was color-keyed to the rest of the car and was much wider than the typical used on GM cars of this era. I am not sure if that was optional or not.

The Toronado also had some interesting features. I did not know that they had color-keyed pedals. It was listed as standard. I do not recall my grandma's old 74' Toronado having them but that was in 1984-85, so I do not think I would remember. I know her car did have airbags option however.

I finally got to check the options on my grandmothers cousins 72' Impala 4dr sedan. I had forgot how it was equipped. I think it is fairly unusual, simply because it has cruise control, because this was an option typically not seen on the early 70s Chevrolets. It also has standard A/C and AM radio, but that is it. It does have a vinyl top and side moldings however. My old 71' Caprice had no cruise, but it had tilt- which was also somewhat unusual- even on Caprice for 71'.

Speaking of cut-pile carpeting. I think I got this photo (attachment) of a 73' Electra (base) a little clearer. It appears to me that it has loop carpeting, but I cannot be 100% sure. What do you think? I think I remember asking someone about this before, but forgot the response and could not find the post.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What could the other switch be for??</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">max-trac possibly? </div></div>

The Max Trac and power antenna switches would have been located under the dash pad above the clock.

This one isn't a switch, it's the green pilot light for the heated rear glass. (see attachment, I enlarged the picture) I think that on convertibles with the heated glass, the light is between the defrost switch and top switch but in closed models, it's located where the power top switch would have been.

*Very interesting* about the switch panel.

I have never seen this setup before. It does make sense though, as the electric defogger setups always have a pilot light -- GM had to put it somewhere I guess...

Tony:

The Exterior Lamp Monitor option is a very rare option on the big Olds'. Basically you get a red warning lamp in one of the accessory locations on either the right or left instrument cluster panel. This is a quote from the owner's manual to my '73 Delta 88:

"An electronic lamp monitoring system (optional equipment) warns the driver of a failure of an external lamp by means of an indicator light on the instrument panel. It monitors all exterior lamps except turn signals, back-up lamps, and front side marker lights."

Olds' Twilight Sentinel is called "Nite Watch" (cool!). You get a switch in one of the accessory pods on either the right or left clusters... (you guys think the Buick switch combinations are weird?) tongue.gif

According to my owner's manual:

"The Oldsmobile "Nite-Watch" light control (optional equipment on 98 only) provides for an additional period of light for the driver and passengers after they leave the vehicle. By switching the "Nite-Watch" control button to "ON" after the steering column lock and headlight swtich have been turned to the "OFF" position and the key removed, the car's driving lights will be placed in an OFF-delayed position remaining on for a period of 45 to 90 seconds before shutting off".

And yes, the owner's manual said "swtich". That is one poorly-worded paragraph!

I have several dash pods downstairs; I'll hobble down there & see if I can locate one with one of these options. I've been hoarding '71 to '73 Olds parts for years...