1972 Electra - another oddly equipped

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

Here (on e-bay link) is a fairly low equipped standard 72' LeSabre sedan. A/C, bumper strips, radio and side mouldings appear to be the only options. It states that the side mouldings were added in the 90s, so they may not even be original, but I am wondering something. The mouldings on the quarter panel only go about 1/2 way. These cars do have that sharp "sweep" on the quarter panel, so was this supposed to stop there?

On another 72' LeSabre Custom 4dr that is on the buy/sell forums, (photo of it below) has the side mouldings, but they are not on the quarter panels at all and only on the doors and front fender- which appear to be the way that they may have been originally. 72_lesabre001.jpg

Here is a link to the e-bay 72' LeSabre (base) sedan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...ssPageName=WDVW

**As a side note- another interesting early 70s GM car-

1971 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - A/C, AM-FM, vinyl top and side mouldings are the only options that appear to be on this car. NO: power windows, power locks, power seat, tilt, cruise, cornering lights, bumper guards or bumper strips. Like the Electra, the Ninety-Eight was typically a high optioned car, but another one of the few "luxury" cars of the early 70s, lacking some "luxury" features. Neat car to say the least!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...bayphotohosting

One thing that I find interesting is that the Pontiac, Michigan assembly plant used adhesive-backed body-side moldings whereas most other plants use the "good" stainless ones. I assume both flavors probably looked the same when the cars were new, but the stick-on garbage ones don't hold up. My current '73 Bonneville (Pontiac-built) has the stick-on ones while my old '73 Bonneville (Doraville-built) had the stainless ones.

My '73 Pontiac Service manual actually states that the Pontiac plant used the stick-on moldings.

I 99% sure the Flint plant used the stainless ones. Of course the LeSabres were produced in many different plants so who knows.... Just rambling I guess.

Guest Shaffer

I have wondered why some of them had stainless (metal) mouldings while others had the plastic mouldings. I was just thinking one was a higher priced option. My 72' Electra had the plastic ones, while my 73' Grand Ville has the metal ones.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

I agree. I have a small rust spot developing under the trim on my left rear quarter panel. It was just surface rust and I have already treated it with some "rust stop" treatment. I try to keep them as clean as possible under there. When I wash the car, I will "blast" them with the high pressure sprayer. I also do the same thing with the lower door and rocker panel trim.

My grandmothers cousin that has a 1972 Impala 4dr sedan also has the metal side mouldings and today, parked close to my car at work was another 72' Impala 4dr sedan and it also had the metal side mouldings. The local 74' Electra Limited I have been referring to also has the metal mouldings. My old 71' Caprice 4dr also had the metal mouldings.

While I am posting here- here is a interesting 1970 Impala convertible that someone posted on the Chevrolet forums. They were all talking about how rare it is. It is a 70' Impala convertible- NO A/C, NO tilt, NO power brakes, NO power steering, NO power anything. The rarest thing is that it is 3-speed manual shift on the column. Side mouldings and AM radio appear to be only options. Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...p;category=6169

Also posted this 1973 Electra on the 73 Grand Ville vs. 72 Electra thread:

A very nice car, but I think it is oddly equipped. Base 73 Electra- with a lot of options: power windows, power locks, cruise, tilt, AM radio, rear defrost, auto-climate A/C, light monitors, vinyl top, speed alert, bumper guards, bumper strips, side mouldings, etc. Save it:

Leads me to another question- Here is something I thought was interesting about a couple of 73 LeSabres. Here is an e-bay "base" 73 LeSabre 4dr-

notice the "wide" wood trim accent on the door panel. Was this indeed the factory door panels on the base 73 LeSabre, or was this an option? Here (attached) is a photo of the door panel on the local 73 LeSabre CUSTOM 4dr that is for sale here locally. The "Custom" has the carpeting on the lower panel, which seems to be the only thing setting it apart as being "upscale" from the panel on the base model- with it having the large woodgrain accent panel. The 73' Custom panel does have some woodgrain accents however- just not as much as this base 73' LeSabre has.

Here is another interesting car- a 1975 LeSabre Custom 4dr. From the exterior- it looks like it is plain, what- with no vinyl top or side mouldings, but looking at the interior- it is nicely equipped. A/C, power windows, power locks, cruise, tilt, etc. Also has cut-pile carpet. Does anyone know what year that the LeSabre Custom upgraded to cut-pile carpet? I know that at least until 73' they had loop carpeting.

Tony,

My base 74 LeSabre has cut pile carpet.

It has the same door panels as the 73 base LeSabre (and yes they were standard both years on the base model). The Custom's door panels show less woodgrain but they look much better!

In 73, The LeSabre Custom had two trim levels. Standard on the Custom was a bench seat with the exact same pattern (but different cloth) as the base 74 LeSabre seats but different from the base 73 LeSabre seats. At extra cost, there was a notchback seat with a center armrest and different cloth and pattern. After 1973, the LeSabre Luxus/Custom had a standard notchback seat with a center armrest and was available with 60/40 seats.

The 73 Electra on Ebay didn't have the factory cruise, it is an aftermarket unit. I have to agree that it's well optionned for a base model, it even has the heated glass.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for that information.

I agree that the door panels look better on the Custom- they seem to have more "design" to them. It is interesting though, that the base LeSabre that year had that much more woodgrains on the door panels.

That is also interesting about the interior.

I was thinking that that cruise control switch looked odd- I did not even stop to think it was aftermarket.

BTW- that Electra sold for a little over $1100- WHAT A STEAL.

Guest Shaffer

Not a Buick, but I found this interesting. PLAIN, 1972 Chevrolet Caprice 2-door hardtop. The exterior looks highly optioned- side mouldings, bumper guards, vinyl top, but the interior is a different story. NO A/C, no tilt, no power locks, etc. Looks like the only interior option is power windows.

http://www.dealsonwheels.com/search/detailbig.cfm/Autos__ID/000771-200503-000005

Here is a 1975 Buick Riviera GS that is fairly close to me- about 60 miles away. It looks like a high optioned model, but I am guessing this was about the norm for the top of the line Riviera. Appears to have telescopic steering column. I was noticing the console. Is that original? It is as "thin" as it looks? Nice car to say the least.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...654692&rd=1

(The high bidder at this time is scary - DERBYMAM) shocked.gif

The Riv's console is the correct type, note that the telescopic steering is also cracked on this one... It lacks the door courtesy/warning lights and the power seatback release.

If I'd live nearer, I'd certainly have a closer look at this one! Too bad it never happens 60 miles away from me frown.gif

Tony,

Look at what I got on Ebay, I still haven't received it, I thought it might interest you too!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...RK%3AMEAFB%3AIT

Guest Shaffer

Interesting testing equipment. I have never seen anything like that before. I would imagine that is a very rare testing equipment. It says rarely used/never used and I would not doubt it. Considering the small number of cars equipped with airbags in the 70s- that would be very understandable. In fact- it looks to me like it was never used. What a find!

I was thinking it was the original console on the 75'. I had never had a good look inside of these cars before, so I was unsure. That "cracked" steering wheel is what made me think it had the telescope option. I am still puzzled as to why the cars with telescoping column of this vintage has a hard plastic steering wheel, as opposed to the "custom cushion" wheel. Looks like they would have used the "cushioning" on these wheels as well. I guess they wanted a thicker steering wheel, but it was cheaper to use the hard plastic wheels.

I know what you mean about it being far away. Everytime I find a clamshell wagon, at a good price (which is unusual) it is always far away. That is what is so frustrating about the local 1972 Chevrolet Caprice Kingswood Estate wagon that the elderly lady will not sell to me. I know of no other wagons like this for hundreds of miles- this one is less than 10 miles away- setting in a garage, where it has been setting for years (undriven), covered with an inch of dust and I cannot even buy it. crazy.gif

Speaking of wagons- here is a interestingly equipped 1976 Pontiac Grand Safari wagon. It has pretty much all options- A/C (may even be auto climate control- cannot tell), as well as tilt, cruise, power locks, AM-FM with 8-track, guage package, power rear gate, 3rd seat, woodgrain, bumper guards, bumper strips, luggage rack, and it appears to even have the intermittent wiper option. Looks like the only interior option it lacks is power windows. Exterior wise- it lacks side mouldings and cornering lamps. Unsure if it has rear defog or power seat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4534647848&fromMakeTrack=true

Phil- this Buick may interest you: a 1976 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr hardtop- a fairly high optioned car- but NO A/C. Notice where it is located- Canada. I guess that may explain the lack of the A/C option. It has speed alert, tilt, am-fm-8 track, and it appears to also have cruise. I also noticed that it has the lower door courtesy lamps, but does not have the color-keyed seat belts. Exterior is nicely optioned as well- it has side mouldings, vinyl top, bumper guards and bumper strips. Now this is one of the more unusual equipped Buicks I have seen in a while. This car is suprisingly rust free to be a Canadian car. I did not even realize it was a Canadian car, until I noticed the KMH speedometer. It is a very nice car.

Here is another interesting Pontiac wagon- a 1974 Pontiac Safari. Another high optioned car- basically all options, but like the 76 Pontiac wagon above- it also lacks cornering lights, side mouldings, power windows & power seat, but does have power locks, tilt, cruise, 3rd seat, woodgrain, luggage rack, A/C, color-keyed seat belts, rally wheels, bumper guards and bumper strips.

This one is in Georgia- fairly close to me- if I had the room, I would buy it. Obviously not a Georgia car, because it has a bit too much rust to be an original southern car. Its possible, but typically these cars do not rust like that down here.

Guest Shaffer

Sorry- I made a mistake on the above 74' Pontiac wagon. It is actually a Safari wagon (Catalina), rather than a Grand Safari wagon (Grand Ville). I only realized it when I went back to look at it and was wondering why the seat coverings were so plain for the Grand Safari wagon. After re-reading the title I realized why. DUH! grin.gif

I read in the Dec 15 2004 comments you made about a 1975 Buick Electra with the air cushion option ,and I have a 1975 Oldsmobile Toronado with this option. Do you have any idea what they are worth with this option ? And have you seen another car like this for sale and if you did where did you find it and how much were they asking?

Guest Shaffer

I have not seen too many Toronados on the early to mid 70s just setting around for sale for a while. You really have to look for them these days. The only Toronado I have actually seen with this option was my grandmothers old 1974 Toronado- which was crushed in 1986. frown.gif I would say you have a rare one there, because even without airbags, the Toronado was not made in large numbers. The ones remaining with the air cushions are probably very few and far between.

Phil may have more information on the value of your car. It sounds like a neat car. Is this the model that looks like the 74' model, but with the rectangular headlamps? That is a nice body style.

I have always like the Toronados. I used to have a 1971 Oldsmobile Toronado in the early 1990s. It was in MINT, MINT, MINT, 100% rust free condition. It was dark maroon, with black interior and vinyl top. It was high optioned too- with tilt, cruise, power windows, power locks, am-fm, power seat, A/C, etc. I gave it to my grandmother because I no longer wanted it. My uncle then bought her a 1984 Chevrolet Celebrity, because it was smaller and much more fuel efficient. She let my aunt borrow the Olds. The ended up swerving to miss some ducks in the road, back around 1993 or so, and ran the car into a ditch and messed up the lower front grille. She did not want to drive it anymore because she said it "looked bad". The car set idle at my uncles house for about a year or two. I think they ended up giving it to someone who wanted it only for the engine and transmission. Looking back- it makes me ill that they gave the car away for parts. I think if I had that car now, in the condition it was when I had it- there is no telling what I could have sold it for. It had 55K actual one-owner miles when I got it. crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I read in the Dec 15 2004 comments you made about a 1975 Buick Electra with the air cushion option ,and I have a 1975 Oldsmobile Toronado with this option. Do you have any idea what they are worth with this option ? And have you seen another car like this for sale and if you did where did you find it and how much were they asking? </div></div>

I have never seen a Toronado with this option but I have seen a few 70's GM cars with air bags.

ACRS was not a popular option back then and they aren't much more presently. I even had comments from people that wouldn't want to buy a 70's car with air bags as they wouldn't trust them...

It never bothered me before but when the "AIR CUSHION" light began coming on and off while driving, I was wondering if it could have been dangerous. I made a visual check at the components and I noticed that the impact detector that is mounted inside the front bumper in Buicks (but not in Oldsmobiles and Cadilacs)was rusted. I sealed it with silicone and the light never came on again while driving but hoped I'd find another one soon.

A year later, I found spare air bags and related parts from a 1974 Electra on Ebay last year so I'll replace it soon.

Even if it's a rare option, it doesn't seem to make the cars worth more. Most of the cars that I saw for sale with this option were sold in the same price range as the same models without air bags in similar condition would have sold. There was a 1974 Olds 98 with air bags on Ebay recently that seemed to be in very good condition but if I reall correctly, it didn't meet the reserve price and highest bid was something around 5000$

If you have pictures of your Toronado's interior, I'd like if you could email me them. I'm also interested to see the litterature such as the owner manual's supplement, the stickers in the glove box and in the driver's door.

I have a few pics of cars with air bags, if you want to see them, I'll email them to you. My email adress is phil.racicot@gmail.com.

Thanks

Guest Shaffer

I looked on E-bay and viewed a 75'. A little different than the 74s, in more ways than one. Dash, taillights, etc.

I was thinking about the same thing Phil was- I do not think that the models with the air cushions command much higher prices. I did search E-bay for 1971-1978 Toronados and it seems like there are currently five (5) on there, so there are some out there obviously. Perhaps even more than I initially thought. I am thinking there were something like 29,000 made in 1971 or 1972. Will have to research.

In the mean time, here is a link to a 1973 Toronado- which is basically what my grandmothers old 1974 Toronado looked like. I have a photo of her car taken in 1985, that I hope to get scanned and posted soon.

Here is the 73' Toronado. Dare I say it is a bit rusty? Look at that right rocker panel! What a rust hole.

Phil- notice it has the "loop carpeting". I find this interesting. I would have thought all of them would have had cut-pile carpeting even in 1973, considering that this car was priced even higher than the Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight of the same year. Wonder if "cut-pile" carpet was even an option? Perhaps on the "Brougham" model it was? Not sure about 73, but some years had the "Brougham" option. This car has obviously been setting for a long time. Notice the bais-ply tires. Looks like a high optioned car- vinyl top (interesting that it is in that good of shape) side mouldings, bumper strips and guards, A/C, and rear window defrost (heated). Obviously beyond restoration. frown.gif

Guest Shaffer

Thanks Phil for clearing that up. It had been so long since I had seen inside of one, that I had totally forgotten. I guess I was assuming since the styling of the 73-74 was basically the same, that the dash was too. smile.gif

Guest Shaffer

Sorry- this is not a Buick car, but I thought some of you fans of other GM 60s cars would find this car interestingly optioned: Here is a 1969 Chevrolet Caprice 2-door hardtop. It has the highest priced option engine- 427 V8, but has a manual transmission- which was very rare for the Caprice. It also has power windows, power disc brakes, power steering, AM radio, hide-away lights, but NO A/C (rare), NO tilt, etc. I am a fan of the 60s and 70s Chevrolets as well and have seen several and I can say this is a very rarely optioned car:

Here is a website they have photos posted on:

http://community.webshots.com/album/294812466LrNoeh

Here is a interesting 1973 Pontiac Bonneville 2-door hardtop. I am glad I found this, because it helps me figure out how much some of the options on my 73' Grand Ville was, because it has the factory window sticker and my car has some of the options this car has, but my car- even though it is a Grand Ville, lacks some options that this 73' Bonneville has. This Bonneville has the following options: 455 V8, A/C, power seat, power windows, tilt, cruise, guage package, side moldings, bumper strips, edge guards, firm ride package, tinted glass, door courtesy lights, AM radio w/8track, dual exhausts, dome reading lamps, rear window defrost, window sill moldings, performance differential w/ saf-t-track, driver and passenger vanity mirrors, remote mirror, etc, just to name a few. Of these, my car does not have 8-track, dual exhaust, rear defrost, guage package, but does have power locks, vinyl top covering and bumper guards. This Bonneville also appears to have the standard interior package, rather than the upgraded cloth. I think my car may also have the firm ride package, but I do not know how to confirm this. Not sure about the axle on my car.

Speaking of invoices, I would love to have one of my car, but it is obviously long gone. Does anyone know if you can send your VIN anywhere to get a copy of your invoice? I am guessing no... frown.gif

Anyway- here is the 73' Bonneville 2dr. The hubcaps would have to go! crazy.gif

Tony, these are two interesting cars.

The Caprice has a Strato bench seat. It's similar to a notchback seat but it has the same seatbacks as the strato bucket seats and a center armrest. In the Buick line, they were available only in the 66-70 Rivieras with Custom trim. I didn't know they were available in Chevrolets.

Shaffer, I was going to send you a link of that '73 Bonneville, but I figured you'd eventually spot it anyway. That is one VERY oddly-equipped car. Even the color combination is weird. What is strange that the invoices for my past & present Bonnevilles aren't quite the same; for example, my old Bonneville was ordered with a light-group which included the map/dome lamp assembly & the door courtesy lamps; notice the E-bay car had each option listed separately.

Also, the handling package looks like it was cheaper on the E-bay Bonneville vs. what the cost was on my car. I may bid on the sucker if it doesn't get out of hand. The main problem would be getting the car to NC. Later.

Guest Shaffer

Yep, I noticed that seat. I had seen them before in some older Chevrolets, but not too many. It is a very rare car to say the least. Not too many non-A/C, manual shift Caprices- especially with the 427 engine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tony, these are two interesting cars.

The Caprice has a Strato bench seat. It's similar to a notchback seat but it has the same seatbacks as the strato bucket seats and a center armrest. In the Buick line, they were available only in the 66-70 Rivieras with Custom trim. I didn't know they were available in Chevrolets. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

LOL. Thanks. Anytime you see a rarely optioned car, I would appreciate the info, because sometimes I may miss them and I always like to see them. Yeah, I try to keep track of the full-size 71-76 Chevrolet, Pontiac and Buick on E-Bay- at least once a week I will try to check.

I agree, this is one of the more unusual cars I had seen. I did not initially understand the "two-tone" paint option, but later realized it was a painted top, rather than a vinyl top. The light package you mentioned sounds interesting as well. Perhaps it is something that they changed later in the year, or perhaps depending upon location.

It is interesting what you mentioned about the overhead dome (map) / lower door courtesy lights. My car has both too, so now I am wondering if it was a seperate option on my car as well. confused.gif

You should bid on the car. I would like to see it go to a good home. That is always my problem- I find a car on the internet that I like, but it is always usually always far away. I guess I lucked up on my Grand Ville and Caprice that were on E-Bay- both were about 25 miles away.

I currently have the opportunity to purchase one of my "dream cars"- a 1973 Caprice Estate Wagon- 3-seat, green w/woodgrain, LOADED to the MAXIMUM for $2700- which I can buy IF I sell my 1969 Caprice, but I really like the Caprice too- as it is another one of my favorites. The bad news about the wagon is that it is located in Montana and shipping would be at least $1000-$1200.

Good luck if you bid!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shaffer, I was going to send you a link of that '73 Bonneville, but I figured you'd eventually spot it anyway. That is one VERY oddly-equipped car. Even the color combination is weird. What is strange that the invoices for my past & present Bonnevilles aren't quite the same; for example, my old Bonneville was ordered with a light-group which included the map/dome lamp assembly & the door courtesy lamps; notice the E-bay car had each option listed separately.

Also, the handling package looks like it was cheaper on the E-bay Bonneville vs. what the cost was on my car. I may bid on the sucker if it doesn't get out of hand. The main problem would be getting the car to NC. Later. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

OK. Just when I thought I had seen a rare car, I find another car, extremely oddly equipped. Another Pontiac. Here is a 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville convertible- LOADED with options, to name a few it has: Power windows, power locks, power seat, cruise, tilt, cornering lights, bumper guards, bumper strips, side moldings, rally wheels, lower door courtesy lights, etc, but it does NOT have A/C! I was scrolling down, looking at the photos- taking note of all of the options, then I get down to the engine and see the lack of A/C components. That was a suprise. I must say that I have however seen more than a few 70s convertibles without A/C. I also noticed this one is in Canada- just like the LeSabre is, which probably explains it even more. I still find it neat to find a high optioned car, without AC, no matter where it is. Despite being from the north, it appears to be a very solid car, but I am not too keen about the color.

I know we have seen several Electras and LeSabres in the past without A/C, but most of these were low option cars. The cornering light and power seat options seem to be the "rarest" on these cars. I have never seen a car with this many options without A/C, except maybe for the recent nicely, but non-A/C equipped 76' LeSabre I posted a few posts up- but as mentioned above- it too was a Canadian car. Another interesting thing about this Grand Ville is that it appears to have the cut-pile carpet, but the carpet on the doors is clearly loop carpeting, which I find interesting. States that all carpeting is original. My car also has cut-pile carpets on the lower door panels too, as well as the floors. Perhaps the loop-pile carpet was on all of the doors of the Grand Ville convertibles, as opposed to the cut-pile carpet on the 4-door Custom?

This car has obviously seen a repaint. Looks like the "Pontiac" emblem is missing from the trunk and the "Grand Ville" emblems on the lower front fenders are also placed a bit too high, unless this is where they placed them on the convertibles. I know on the coupes and sedans, it was lower than that. Also, notice the paint inside the front door hinge area.

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...sspagename=WDVW

Speaking of Electras- here is another neat one- a 72' 2-door Electra. It has A/C, AM-FM radio, power windows, power locks, light monitors, bumper strips, side moldings and vinyl top, and I think speed alert. However, it does NOT have cruise, tilt, cornering lights, bumper guards or cloth interior- to name some of the more common options often seen on these cars. I just noticed that another person viewing this car also commented that this car has the wide rocker panel molding- which I did not notice. Ut oh! grin.gif. It is really a nice car and the price is good too! Reserve met at $1000!

Tony, I missed the part about the 76 LeSabre in your previous post.

I already emailed the seller to have more pics of it but it had more rust than I thought it had.

I also asked him if he knew why the car had a KM/H speedo because speedos were still in MPH in 1976 but he didn't know about it, he thought that it was because it was a Canadian car. My 1976 Electra was made late in the model year and it had a MPH speedo like every other 1976 Buick I have seen here.

That e-bay '73 G.V. gives me a bad vibe. The seller lies if he says the carpet is original. The color is too light & the pile looks too fine to be even GM cut-pile. Looks like a typical shady used-car resto-repaint. Notice the lack of instrument-cluster-related pictures? Hmmm.

The emblems have been incorrectly placed high on both fenders, as all '73 GrandVilles have them placed below the crease. Since these are not stick-on emblems, this leads me to believe that either the fenders may have been replaced with Catalina units (doubtful), they broke the pegs off the emblems & glued them in the wrong place, or the whole bottom part of both fenders is made out of putty & the "restorers" forgot where the emblems went. They probably look real wrong up-close, as those emblems had a "pitch" to them (can't think of the correct term). Now, those emblems are probably pointed toward the sky.

I'll bet the car is a lot worse than it looks. I agree with you on the color, Shaffer. Yuck!

I decided against bidding on the tri-tone E-Bonneville. I really hope it does find a good home though, as it is probably one-of-a-kind. The trunklid does not look right though: the "pontiac" emblem looks to be off a '71 or '72 Catalina. The '73 Bonnevilles had a smaller "Bonneville" emblem under the lock cylinder.

I'll look for both my '73 Bonne-invoices tonight & type their info in on a future post, if that helps you any.

A few months ago, this seller had a 74 Riviera GS (pictured on the same floor) for sale that was in terrible condition. It also had a very similar color...

The interior in the Riv was completely redone with cheap and ugly material. Even the plastic convenience center (mini console) and the vinyl armrests were covered with it... And the body wasn't better.

I would stay away from this car.

Guest Shaffer

I agree with you- I was thinking the same thing about the carpeting. It appeared to be too light of a color- compared to the door carpeting. I am guessing that loop carpet was standard on the 73 GV convertible and really only available on the 73 Grand Ville 4dr, with the "Custom" option. I will need to bring out one of my 73 Pontiac sales brochures and check this out.

I also agree with you about the emblems on the fenders. They are way too high, compared to my 73' Grand Ville- as well as other 73' Grand Villes I have seen. Its obvious that the original holes must have been covered, unless like you said, they were replaced with Catalina or maybe even Bonneville fenders- which have the emblems higher I think. Attached is a photo of the emblem on my cars right front fender- which is where I have seen them on all other 73' Grand Ville's. As you can see- it is above the lower chrome trim and below that first crease on the lower front fender.

Hopefully that 73' Bonneville does go to a good home. I know we cannot buy all of them that we see, as much as we would like too. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That e-bay '73 G.V. gives me a bad vibe. The seller lies if he says the carpet is original. The color is too light & the pile looks too fine to be even GM cut-pile. Looks like a typical shady used-car resto-repaint. Notice the lack of instrument-cluster-related pictures? Hmmm.

The emblems have been incorrectly placed high on both fenders, as all '73 GrandVilles have them placed below the crease. Since these are not stick-on emblems, this leads me to believe that either the fenders may have been replaced with Catalina units (doubtful), they broke the pegs off the emblems & glued them in the wrong place, or the whole bottom part of both fenders is made out of putty & the "restorers" forgot where the emblems went. They probably look real wrong up-close, as those emblems had a "pitch" to them (can't think of the correct term). Now, those emblems are probably pointed toward the sky.

I'll bet the car is a lot worse than it looks. I agree with you on the color, Shaffer. Yuck!

I decided against bidding on the tri-tone E-Bonneville. I really hope it does find a good home though, as it is probably one-of-a-kind. The trunklid does not look right though: the "pontiac" emblem looks to be off a '71 or '72 Catalina. The '73 Bonnevilles had a smaller "Bonneville" emblem under the lock cylinder.

I'll look for both my '73 Bonne-invoices tonight & type their info in on a future post, if that helps you any. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

Phil- I was thinking that maybe you missed me posting that 76' since you did not have a response about it. I thought that KM/H speedo was odd on that model as well. Too bad it had the rust. I was a oddly equipped car though. One of the more unusual ones I had seen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tony, I missed the part about the 76 LeSabre in your previous post.

I already emailed the seller to have more pics of it but it had more rust than I thought it had.

I also asked him if he knew why the car had a KM/H speedo because speedos were still in MPH in 1976 but he didn't know about it, he thought that it was because it was a Canadian car. My 1976 Electra was made late in the model year and it had a MPH speedo like every other 1976 Buick I have seen here. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

I am thinking of "adding" an option to my Grand Ville. I have decided to put the optional "deluxe finned" wheelcovers on my car. My car has the standard Grand Ville hubcaps- which look like the Catalina and Bonneville wheelcovers- with the only difference being the center emblems. The Catalina and Bonneville have the Pontiac emblems in the center, while the Grand Ville has the "starburst" looking emblem in the center. The "deluxe finned" wheelcover was optional on the Grand Ville and Bonneville- but not sure about the Catalina. I think this optional hubcap looks better- what do you think? First- attached is a photo of my original "standard" hubcap on my car- the second post down will be of another 73' Grand Ville with the optional deluxe hubcap, as well as a few others with it.

Guest Shaffer

Seems as if they were indeed available on the Catalina as well. I just found this photo of a 1973 Catalina 2dr- with the optional hubcap. Noticed that despite this being the "lowest priced" Pontiac for 1973- that it also has the rare cornering light option (for any 73 Pontiac), as well as bumper guards, bumper strips and side moldings.

Of course, the Pontiac rally wheels were optional on all as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

Everyone is probably tired of hearing it- but I finally got the hubcaps that were an option installed on my car. I like them, but not sure if I like them as much as I thought I would. Here is a photo of my car taken today with the optional wheelcover for the 73-74 full-size Pontiacs.

Guest imported_65gs76limited

tony,i like the finned caps a whole lot more than the standard ones.givesthe car a real classy look. Tom

Guest Shaffer

Thanks. The longer they are on there, the more I like them. I also bought some of the deluxe finned hubcaps for my 69 Caprice- which I really like. These hubcaps I am referring to were the standard hubcaps for the 1968-1973 Corvette, but were optional on all of the full-size 69-72 full-size Chevrolets. These are very heavy hubcaps. They weigh about 5 lbs. each. Attached is a photo of my project Caprice with them already installed.