1972 Electra - another oddly equipped

Guest Shaffer

Here's the LH bezel with the Nite-Watch switch to the left of the Cruise switch. Typical fading -- I can tell this came off a '73 because they fade much faster then the '71-'72 models. Wow, this car even had Comfortron.

I could only locate two bezels, naturally.

See the two trapezoidal holes on the top of the bezel? Each hole had a blue translucent lense/bulb holder that snapped in there. They get brittle over time due to age/heat I guess. If you aren't extremely careful, they will break & the whole assembly will just hang down until the owner shoves the whole thing back up into the dash panel.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for posting that information. Very informative. That is neat that also has the "Comfortron" option, as well as the "Nite watch" option. I do not remember reading it in my brochure, but was it also optional on the Toronado as well, or only "98"?

It would be very interesting to know what percentage of the "base" Delta 88's had the "light monitor" option. I was thinking that was rare, because I had never actually saw one so equipped.

Now I understand what you are talking about when you mentioned the lights falling out. I was thinking you was referring to the actual cluster. Now I see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">*Very interesting* about the switch panel.

I have never seen this setup before. It does make sense though, as the electric defogger setups always have a pilot light -- GM had to put it somewhere I guess...

Tony:

The Exterior Lamp Monitor option is a very rare option on the big Olds'. Basically you get a red warning lamp in one of the accessory locations on either the right or left instrument cluster panel. This is a quote from the owner's manual to my '73 Delta 88:

"An electronic lamp monitoring system (optional equipment) warns the driver of a failure of an external lamp by means of an indicator light on the instrument panel. It monitors all exterior lamps except turn signals, back-up lamps, and front side marker lights."

Olds' Twilight Sentinel is called "Nite Watch" (cool!). You get a switch in one of the accessory pods on either the right or left clusters... (you guys think the Buick switch combinations are weird?) tongue.gif

According to my owner's manual:

"The Oldsmobile "Nite-Watch" light control (optional equipment on 98 only) provides for an additional period of light for the driver and passengers after they leave the vehicle. By switching the "Nite-Watch" control button to "ON" after the steering column lock and headlight swtich have been turned to the "OFF" position and the key removed, the car's driving lights will be placed in an OFF-delayed position remaining on for a period of 45 to 90 seconds before shutting off".

And yes, the owner's manual said "swtich". That is one poorly-worded paragraph!

I have several dash pods downstairs; I'll hobble down there & see if I can locate one with one of these options. I've been hoarding '71 to '73 Olds parts for years... </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

Yep, thats the one! I have not seen one of those wheels since 1988. Thats when we sold our 72' Delta 88 Royale 2dr (actually gave it away - my dad sold it to a old friend for a mere $50 and it was still in excellent shape!) He felt sorry for the guy, and the guy would not take the car for free. Also too- back in the 80s, these cars were not really desirable at all. I liked them however, but I was always a fan of the 4drs back then. Still like the 4drs, but like the 2drs too now as well. I actually hated that car then, but now I would really like to have it back. I imagine that the car met its fate and was crushed years ago, but you never know- it may still be out there somewhere.

Actually, I have not seen another 72' Oldsmobile that I recall since then. I do know where there is a 73' Delta 88 2dr, but it has set idle for at least 22 years and has extreme surface rust. I do not think that a speck of paint remains.

A real shame, because I remember when the car was parked there in excellent shape. That was a long time ago, so I do not recall the color. I think it was the light green color though.

Thanks again for the photo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tony, here's that SuperStock IV wheel that you could get on the '71-2 Delta 88s.

Look familiar? </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

72' Electra Limited - WOW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-Buic...1QQcmdZViewItem

I cant really tell, but from a quick look, looks like it lacks speed alert. Also notice the absence of cornering lights and bumper guards, but it does have lamp monitors. An extremely nice car. Is this the "antique gold" color? My 72' Electra was antique gold- this one looks similar, but I cannot say for sure.

This is a nice one to say the least!

and....

here is a 74' Electra Limited.

Check out that bid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUICK-ELE...1QQcmdZViewItem

Also ran across this 71' LeSabre Custom 4dr hdtp. Looks like a great buy. Aside from vinyl top- the exterior is lowly optioned. The only interior option that I can see in the photos is A/C. It has a radio, so it probably at least had an AM radio. Needs that rust fixed ASAP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-BUIC...1QQcmdZViewItem

Speaking of nice early 70s GM cars- check out this 9100 actual mile 72' Caprice 2dr coupe- equipped with cruise and A/C. Cannot tell if it has tilt or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-Chev...1QQcmdZViewItem

To compliment the nice 72' Electra- here is a very nice 71' Olds Ninety-Eight-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-Olds...1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a very nice 2-door 72' Olds 98. I notice it has telescopic wheel. I did not realize that it was optional on the Olds this year. I do not recall reading it in the sales brochure, unless I overlooked it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-Olds...1QQcmdZViewItem

72' Olds 98 - no cruise or tilt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-OLDS...1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a another 72' 98. It is a southern car, but notice it has heated rear glass. Possible that it was originally a northern car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/64907878_...1QQcmdZViewItem

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a nice shot of a '74 riviera from an E-Pay auction.

Funny about the location of the RH remote mirror.

The '73 Centurion convertible I saw had that mirror control mounted in the lower metal-portion of the dash assembly.

Pic also shows the Rear Defog lite. Cool.

Guest Shaffer

It looks like a nice car and neatly optioned as well. I like the 74' Rivieras.

Some of you folks in Canada may enjoy this car. I do not think I have ever seen a "Parisienne" of this year model before. Since these were not sold in the USA, I only get to see the occasional ones on e-bay.

I am not familiar with the Canadian models, so I want to ask this- was the "Parisienne" the top of the line Pontiac in Canada for 76'? This one is a Parisienne Brougham.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-PONT...1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest Shaffer

Finally- listed on E-bay- a 73' Olds 98 sedan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Olds...1QQcmdZViewItem

I noticed that thermometer on the dash above the A/C controls. Is that original, or did someone put that there? If I was a guessing person, someone put it there.

Nice car though. I cannot tell if it is the "Regency" model though. I think I see a script on the "C" pillar. I think that is where they put the Regency script.

Notice the door courtesy lights. Identical to the ones that they put on the 73' Pontiacs. GM sure interchanged some weird stuff back then. grin.gif

Here is an "odd" Olds. 1971 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight 2dr. NO: power windows, power locks, power seat, tilt, cruise, etc. The only options appear to be A/C, side moldings, vinyl top and remote mirror. Thats it I think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-OLDS...1QQcmdZViewItem

It is a neat car.

Here is another odd car. A 1971 Chevrolet Caprice 2dr- even lower equipped than the Olds. The ONLY option I see is vinyl top. It does not even have A/C or side moldings. Rare indeed for a Caprice to be this lowly optioned. Appears to be a very solid car. I really like the cloth pattern on the seats of these cars. My old 71' Caprice had the same seating.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-Chev...1QQcmdZViewItem

In comparison- here is one of the highest optioned Caprices of this era I have ever seen:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-Chev...1QQcmdZViewItem

It has most (if not all) options available. Power windows, power locks, cruise, tilt, AM-FM radio, auto climate control, power seat, vinyl top, wire wheel covers, side moldings, bumper guards, bumper strips, dual exhaust and rear defog.

I think it is a very nice car.

(I messed up on the above link for the 76' high optioned Caprice. I will post it on another post).

Guest Shaffer

Thanks Phillipe for that information and that photo of the 76' Canadian Pontiacs. I really like that car pictured.

Wow, it seems like Canada had all of the models available in the USA that year and actually added the Laurentian. In the USA for 76' the Bonneville Brougham was the top of the line model, as 75' was the last year for Grand Ville. They went back to the way it was back in 1970, when the Bonneville Brougham was the top of the line model.

It would be interesting to know whether the Catalina or Laurentian was more expensive. Strange they they offered both up there.

The 76' Bonneville Brougham pictured in your photo, appears to have been an extremely high optioned model (at least exterior wise). It looks to be a painted photo, but I guess they wanted everyone to see what all options it could have.

Thanks again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It would be interesting to know whether the Catalina or Laurentian was more expensive. Strange they they offered both up there.

</div></div>

I know that the Laurentian was between the Strato-Chief and Parisienne. My guess is that the Catalina replaced the Strato-Chief but Pontiac fans could answer you better...

Yesterday, when I came bach home from Montreal in my 75 Electra, I passed a nice 1965 Parisienne 4 door hardtop on the highway. The driver was about our age... When I looked in the rearview mirror, I noticed that the car had a Grand Prix grille. So it was a Custom Sport. I really like the Parisienne Custom Sport and Grande Parisienne models!

I went to the largest auto show in Canada this weekend with my Electra and I had a lot of fun there. I was surprised to find a few interesting Buick parts there. I bought a 65 Wildcat Console with a tach for 80$ (Canadian $!)and 4 68-70 Full size Buick chrome rims for 70$.

I had the car judged just for fun and since there were just 3 cars judged in my class, I won the third price! Not really rewarding but still a fun way to be a looser! The funniest part is that I had to boost the car who got the second price of my class as he wouldn't start when it was time to get the trophy! At least mine was in good mechanical condition!

Wow, that '73 Olds is the same green-gold metallic that Pontiac called "Golden Olive". You can tell that car's a Regency because it has the Tiffany Clock. Oh, and the thermometer is aftermarket.

That '71 Olds with low options is weird, because it does happen to have the trip odometer/speed/alert option -- a very rare option for even loaded '71 to '73 Oldsmobiles. How strange! You'll never know what you'll find.

A low fuel-light is also a very rare option for these cars; I've seen fewer low-fuel light equipped cars than speed alert cars. The problem is that you cannot identify this option unless you have access to the back of the center cluster. It was available independently of anything else as well. They are nearly impossible to find as the circuit board mounts to the rear of the speedo is very easily broken when pulling the cluster out -- it usually snags on the dash assembly on its way out. Too bad.

Guest Shaffer

That sound like it was a fun car show. I plan on going to the local one here this weekend. It is every Saturday night. I have not been in a few weeks.

That guy should have given you the second place price, since you had to help him start his car. grin.gif

That 65' Parisienne you mentioned sounds like a neat car.

Guest Shaffer

Yeah- I was thinking that Olds was about the exact same color. Probably is exact, or exrtemely close. It seems that this is called "Moss Green".

http://autocolorlibrary.com/cgi-bin/search/searchpic.pl?1973-oldsmobile-pg01.jpg

I was looking at that clock, but since I am not that familair with them, I was not sure if that was the Tiffany clock or not. It really is a neat car.

You have a keen eye. I never even noticed that the "plain" 71' Oldsmobile 98 has the speed alert/trip odometer option. That makes it even more interesting, considering it lacks all of those other options.

Since you mentioned "low fuel light", I may be wrong, but I am thinking that my old 1971 Oldsmobile Toronado had that option. I do not think I had ever mentioned that I had that car before. I really wish I had it now. It was one of my first cars. I owned it in the early 1990s and it was still in BRAND NEW condition. It was the venetian red color, with a black vinyl top and black cloth interior. It was very high optioned- with power windows, power locks, A/C, tilt, AM-FM radio, power seat, vinyl top, side moldings. I do not recall if it had cruise or not. I do not recall it having speed alert either, but back then, I did not pay attention on how cars were optioned like I do now.

My grandfather bought the car from me for only $300. That is actually what I paid for it too, even in like new conditions. Back then, there was a very small demand for these cars. Anyway- my aunt borrowed the car and crashed it. She swerved quickly to miss a duck in the road and she lost control and hit an embankment. it did little damage, bur nonetheless, my uncle paid my grandpa for the car and he let it set in his lawn for about 2 years. I think he finally sold it to someone that only wanted it for the engine. frown.gif I bet you can guess what happened to it. I am sure it probably met its fate in a crusher. mad.gif

BTW- here is the 76' Caprice that I made an error on the link. It is one of the highest optioned Caprices of this vintage I have ever viewed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4564790391&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Guest Shaffer

Wow. How is this for rare? I just ran across it on E-Bay-

1972 Pontiac Grand Safari wagon, which was the top of the line Pontiac wagon for 72'. NO A/C, NO power windows, NO woodgrain, NO 3rd seat, NO cruise, NO bumper guards, but it DOES have: power seat (rare), power locks, power tailgate (rare), tilt wheel, passenger mirror, bumper strips and side moldings. Very unusual to have power seat and power tailgate, but lacking A/C. It does not have the luggage rack on there, but according to the description, I think it originally had one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-G...sspagenameZWDVW

In the 60's and early 70's Canadian Pontiac literature I have, the Canadian Pontiacs were trying to match the Chevy models. So the Parisienne had an interior comparable to Impalas, and when the Caprice came out, they combined the Chevy Caprice interior with the Bonneville exterior. They were probably using those models to compete more closely with Chevy, instead of being a more expensive car. So they used the cheaper components to reduce the price.

Guest Shaffer

72Buickguy: That is very interesting. Thanks for that info!

My mind is failing me today- I cannot recall exactly, but someone (Junkboy)? has a 69' Caprice.

Whoever it was, may find this 69' Caprice interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1

It has auto climate control A/C, power steering, power disc brakes, power windows, cruise control, bumper guards, AM radio, power seat, and power door locks to name a few. Cruise control, power seat and auto climate control were seldom seen options. It is interesting to note that it does lack tilt wheel and even more unusual for a Caprice is the absence of a vinyl top (unless it was removed in the past). Also- either the wheelcovers are not original, or they were very rare (special ordered), as I think these were the standard Biscayne hubcaps.

Guest Shaffer

Finally- I found an actual 73' Chevrolet Impala with the "airbags" option. I had heard that GM had put these in "1000" 73' full-size Chevrolets and remember seeing one in an All-State insurance ad from the 70s, but never seen the dash of one and had wondered what it looked like.

Someone on the Chevrolet forums was inquiring about this car- stating they had no clue why the dash was so odd. They did not know about the airbags however. I must say I am very shocked as well when I noticed that it has an Oldsmobile dash board. The steering wheel looks like the same basic one that was used in the 74-76 Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Cadillacs with the option. Oddly, I think Chevrolet did not offer it on the 74-76 Chevrolets. It seems as if they were "testing" the airbag system, getting it ready for the 74-76 Olds, Buick and Cadillac.

Here is the e-bay link to the airbag equipped 73' Chevrolet Impala sedan. It is very unique to see that dash in there. I wonder why they used the Oldsmobile dash? This was even before the Olds had the airbag option- which followed a year later.

The auction is old- not sure how long the photos will remain on the auction, so I will attach a few on the top of these posts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4553612628

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally- I found an actual 73' Chevrolet Impala with the "airbags" option. I had heard that GM had put these in "1000" 73' full-size Chevrolets and remember seeing one in an All-State insurance ad from the 70s, but never seen the dash of one and had wondered what it looked like.

Someone on the Chevrolet forums was inquiring about this car- stating they had no clue why the dash was so odd. They did not know about the airbags however. I must say I am very shocked as well when I noticed that it has an Oldsmobile dash board. The steering wheel looks like the same basic one that was used in the 74-76 Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Cadillacs with the option. Oddly, I think Chevrolet did not offer it on the 74-76 Chevrolets. It seems as if they were "testing" the airbag system, getting it ready for the 74-76 Olds, Buick and Cadillac.

Here is the e-bay link to the airbag equipped 73' Chevrolet Impala sedan. It is very unique to see that dash in there. I wonder why they used the Oldsmobile dash? This was even before the Olds had the airbag option- which followed a year later.

The auction is old- not sure how long the photos will remain on the auction, so I will attach a few on the top of these posts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4553612628 </div></div>

Hi Tony,

I thought it was you who told me that the 73 Chevys with air bags had an Olds dash. I saw a couple of pics of another 73 Chevy with the Olds dash and I never seen the passenger side. I think someone also mentioned that these cars had driver side airbags only. It seems from the pictures in the auction that this one has a passenger side airbag too, just like the 1974 production models.

I'm not surprised to see the Chevy with an Olds dash, earlier experimental vehicules with air bags were also Oldsmobiles. I remember seing one in the 1972 edition of "Le Guide de l'Auto" a French canaidan book that tested many new cars each model year.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks Philippe for posting that additional photograph of the dash tag. I noticed one on the dash of the 73' Impala, but I could not make it out. "ACRS" was a neat name for it though.

I was not sure who told you about the dash. Actually, I had no idea what type of dash the "ACRS" equipped 73 Impalas had, unless I had totally forgotten, which is a possibility.

I would imagine that these are very rare cars. I did not go back and read it, but I am thinking it said something like only 100 were so equipped. I would not be suprised if it was the only one still in existance.

Definitely a neat car, but as familair I am with the early 70s GM cars, I could never get used to a Oldsmobile dash in a Chevrolet. tongue.gif

I agree, in my opinion, the 73 Olds dash is the least attractive GM dash of the era. The 1974 Olds dash looks much better.

The steering wheel used in Chevys with ACRS doesn't look bad however. I don't think it was used in any other production model.

There were apparently 1000 73 Chevrolets produced with this option. This is probably more than Buicks since there were only 123 Electra Limited 4 doors (out of 33778) produced with it. It's strange since I have seen 4 75 Electra Limiteds with the option. The 3 others were 4 door hardtops like mine and 2 of them were Park Avenues. The 4 I have seen were located in Canada and one of the Park Avenues came from the same small town as mine did so it was probably sold at the same dealer.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks. I agree. I have never been a fan of the dash of the 1971-1973 Oldsmobiles. I think it is the actual cluster that I dislike. The lights seems to small and the guage seems to be "squeezed" together too much.

I have no idea why I said "100" of them had it. Of the 123 Buicks that you mentioned with it, are those for the 1975 models only, or all of the 74-76 Electras?

I agree- I like that wheel, but it was the only one with a wheel like that.

I do not recall seeing the "ACRS" badge on the dash of the 74-76 Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Cadillacs with the option. Do you know if they had it as well?

I think that 10,000 of the 74-76 Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Cadillacs were so equipped with the airbags option. My grandmothers 74' Olds Toronado was one of them. I need to find the photo of that car and post it. It was a neat car.

Guest Shaffer

Black 73' Grand Ville.

I do not recall who, but someone here was asking me about the black 73' Grand Ville that was on E-bay a while back. I did not know the #, but it appears that it was relisted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4567844019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Pretty odd- NO vinyl top, NO bumper guards, NO tilt wheel, NO power windows, NO power seat, NO cornering lights, (just to mention a few)., but it does have cruise control, A/C, AM radio, power locks and side moldings. It looks like it has the "Custom" option, because I see a handle on the front seat back, but it does not appear to have the "Custom" cloth on the seats. confused.gif

Here is a 71' Catalina 2dr that I found odd. This was the "cheapest" full-size Pontiac for 71', but it had some options normally not found on the Catalina- such as tilt wheel, vinyl top and what I found most odd- it has power trunk release (I think - see photo). It also has A/C and side moldings- which are pretty common. It does have the standard "plastic" steering wheel too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4568439733&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Here is an interesting and nice 71' LeSabre 4dr I checked out - exterior is very low optioned- no vinyl top, no side moldings, no bumper guards/strips, etc. Interior wise- also low optioned- it has A/C and appears to have tilt, but I cannot tell for sure in the photo. If that is tilt wheel, that lever looks odd. May be a photo glitch. *Note that it has rear defog as well. I also noticed it has a "plastic" steering wheel - notice the cracks. Was a "padded" wheel (custom cushion) optional on the 71' LeSabres?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4567029971&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

This is not really an "odd" car, but I did think the colors were odd. Is it normal to have white seats, but a black headliner? I have never seen one with this color combo before - 73 Electra 4dr -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4568625794&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

**Sorry - for some reason- my links do not always work.... confused.gif

123 was the number of 1975 Electra Limited 4 door hardtops (including Park Avenues) It excluded Electra Custom 4 door models, and all two door models. Since there were 33778 cars of this model produced (4CX39), that makes about 4 cars per 1000 with the option.

It also excluded all the LeSabre/LeSabre Custom two door hardtops and 4 door sedans/hadrtops and Rivieras produced in 1975 that were also available with the ACRS.

I have seen a few 74 Electras with the option and I heard about at least two Rivs with it but never saw a LeSabre that had ACRS. I also never seen a 76 of any model with the option but I know it was supposed to be available from the dealer's brochures and service/owner's manuals.

While Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs had their Bumper impact detector mounted on a bracket behind the front bumper, the Buicks had it mounted inside the bumper. A design change in the 76 Electra/LeSabre front bumper didn't allow to mount it in the same location so I wouldn't be surprised if the option was cancelled that year, at least on Buicks. The Buick parts manuals I have seen also list the parts as 74-75 option. If you ever see a 76 with air bags, let me know. I'd be curious to see how the impact detector is mounted on them.

Shaffer, I know that you look at a lot of cars from this period, an easy way to tell if the car has ACRS or not from the outside is to look for the lack of shoulder belts that were otherwise standard on closed cars. That's how I spotted my car on a small black and white picture in a Canadian Old Car Trader magazine.

Since I was looking for a car with this option, the first thing I asked when I called was if it had tilt steering. This car belonged to a company and the secretary who answered me said she didn't know if it had it or not but she knew it had air bags so my indirect question was answered!

When I went to look at the car, another thing that made me curious was the strange front vanity plate which had "KARNAK" written in chrome letters with a sword over it. The company owner's son removed it just before I left with the car and told me it was important for his father but didn't mention what it meant. Recently, while I was watching the news, I saw a Shriner member with a strange hat that had the same letters and a sword on it. I did a Google search and found that the car's owner was the Montreal's Shriners association's potentate back in 1980. That's about one year before the car was stored for a 20 years period.

Wow, that black GrandVille is weird. Hardly any options but it does have cruise control & power locks.

That '73 Electra is a steal! It's that green-gold metallic (Pontiac called it Golden Olive). I've noticed that the '71 to '73 Boattail Rivieras with white interior also had black headliners. I have a rough '73 Riviera & it has white interior/black headliner. I didn't know the Electras came this way though.

Interesting is that the Dealer plate on the back "Royal" is the exact same plate that Royal Oldsmobile in Birmingham used -- could that car be a southern car maybe? Very interesting!

"No reserve" on the '71 Catalina. The seller probably picked the car up in a field for a couple hundred...he sticks a $30 alternator on it, & asks $3,000 for it. If that car's worth $3,000, I'm worth $1.5 million.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for those #'s information. I too have never seen a LeSabre with the option, nor a 76' Buick with the option. The only 76' model I have ever seen with the option was a Cadillac Sedan DeVille. I would imagine that by 76', that the option probably faded away drastically, since it was not really a popular option. The only Oldsmobile I ever remember seeing with the option is grandmas 74' Toronado Brougham. I still find it odd that they never offered it on the 74-76 Chevrolets and Pontiacs. I guess they thought that buyers of Chevrolets and Pontiacs would be more value oriented, but then I stop and realize that the price of a loaded up Grand Ville from 74-75 could easily surpass the price of even a well optioned 74-75 LeSabre and certainly could a Olds Delta 88. Also intersting that it was never offered on the wagons.

Before I bought my 69' Caprice, I had seriously considered buying a 1974 Electra Limited 4dr that was on E-Bay last summer that had the ACRS option. You may remember it. It was like a orange/gold color and I really regret not buying it. It only had 27K actual miles and was 100% rust free and original. It was not perfect, but it was a very nice car. They told me they would take $2200 for it. I do not recall exactly, but I think that I was willing to give up to $2200 for the car, but it was about 1500 miles away and shipping was going to be an additional $600., so I passed. I think he wanted $2500 for the car - which was a good deal. It was an extremely high optioned car. Obviously-

the only lacking option was tilt- which as you know- was not available on the ACRS equipped cars.

I have already checked out the local 74' Electra Limited. It does not have the ACRS option. I need to get a photo of that car and post here. It kills me to see it setting and ruining.

If I ever do see a 76' Buick with ACRS, I will let you know.

That is some interesting history that you have on your Electra. I wish I had more info on my old cars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">123 was the number of 1975 Electra Limited 4 door hardtops (including Park Avenues) It excluded Electra Custom 4 door models, and all two door models. Since there were 33778 cars of this model produced (4CX39), that makes about 4 cars per 1000 with the option.

It also excluded all the LeSabre/LeSabre Custom two door hardtops and 4 door sedans/hadrtops and Rivieras produced in 1975 that were also available with the ACRS.

I have seen a few 74 Electras with the option and I heard about at least two Rivs with it but never saw a LeSabre that had ACRS. I also never seen a 76 of any model with the option but I know it was supposed to be available from the dealer's brochures and service/owner's manuals.

While Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs had their Bumper impact detector mounted on a bracket behind the front bumper, the Buicks had it mounted inside the bumper. A design change in the 76 Electra/LeSabre front bumper didn't allow to mount it in the same location so I wouldn't be surprised if the option was cancelled that year, at least on Buicks. The Buick parts manuals I have seen also list the parts as 74-75 option. If you ever see a 76 with air bags, let me know. I'd be curious to see how the impact detector is mounted on them.

Shaffer, I know that you look at a lot of cars from this period, an easy way to tell if the car has ACRS or not from the outside is to look for the lack of shoulder belts that were otherwise standard on closed cars. That's how I spotted my car on a small black and white picture in a Canadian Old Car Trader magazine.

Since I was looking for a car with this option, the first thing I asked when I called was if it had tilt steering. This car belonged to a company and the secretary who answered me said she didn't know if it had it or not but she knew it had air bags so my indirect question was answered!

When I went to look at the car, another thing that made me curious was the strange front vanity plate which had "KARNAK" written in chrome letters with a sword over it. The company owner's son removed it just before I left with the car and told me it was important for his father but didn't mention what it meant. Recently, while I was watching the news, I saw a Shriner member with a strange hat that had the same letters and a sword on it. I did a Google search and found that the car's owner was the Montreal's Shriners association's potentate back in 1980. That's about one year before the car was stored for a 20 years period. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

Yeah- I agree. I thought that Grand Ville was very odd as well. Cruise is not a common option on these cars and for it to have that and the lack of other popular options seems strange. I am guessing that the original owner did a lot of driving on the freeways. The lack of vinyl top is odd too. Most had it. I really would like to get the production #'s of options on the 73' Grand Ville like is available for the 72' Electra 4drs, such as you see here:

http://www.72electra.com/1972%20PRODUCTION.htm

As a former owner of a 72' Electra Custom 4dr- I really have enjoyed this site.

Yeah, that is a good deal (so far) on the Electra. That is interesing about the interior colors. I was not sure if that was original or not. It is odd. I am not sure that I could get used to that. grin.gif

I agree with you. I was thinking the same thing about the 71' Catalina. $2999 no reserve. I would hope not. grin.gif

It is interestingly equipped however, but not worth that- needing all of that restoration work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, that black GrandVille is weird. Hardly any options but it does have cruise control & power locks.

That '73 Electra is a steal! It's that green-gold metallic (Pontiac called it Golden Olive). I've noticed that the '71 to '73 Boattail Rivieras with white interior also had black headliners. I have a rough '73 Riviera & it has white interior/black headliner. I didn't know the Electras came this way though.

Interesting is that the Dealer plate on the back "Royal" is the exact same plate that Royal Oldsmobile in Birmingham used -- could that car be a southern car maybe? Very interesting!

"No reserve" on the '71 Catalina. The seller probably picked the car up in a field for a couple hundred...he sticks a $30 alternator on it, & asks $3,000 for it. If that car's worth $3,000, I'm worth $1.5 million. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

I am not too much of a Ford fan, but I like most all early 70s cars. Here is a interesting 72' Ford LTD Brougham 2dr I noticed on E-Bay. It is the top of the line model for 72', but does not have many of the options that the top of the line model had. The lack of a vinyl top and the lack of cornering lights are the most unusual, as most had these. It also lacks power windows and power locks- which is not as unusual. I cannot tell if it has tilt or not. If I recall, the Fords of this era incorporated the "tilt" lever in with the turn signal lever, so it is hard to note this option just by looking. It does have the AM-FM w/8-track option however. It also lacks the "deluxe finned wheel covers- which is also unusual for the "Brougham" trim.

The Fords of this era did not seem to be as oddly equipped as the GM cars of this era.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-Ford...1QQcmdZViewItem

In comparison- here is a 72' LTD (non Brougham). It is difficult to tell a LTD from a LTD Brougham- especially from the exterior. Mainly it was a upgraded interior on the Brougham. For 72' the easiest way to tell the difference is that the Brougham has high back bucket seats- which Ford called "Twin Lounge" seats. As you can see- this one has the optional vinyl top and the optional "finned" wheelcovers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Classic-1...1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is an interesting 73' Bonneville 2dr you may find interesting. Exterior wise- very low optioned- bumper guards are the only option. Interior wise- it has power windows, power locks, lower door courtesy lights, A/C, and the rare guage package (he added tach where the clock went), but it does not have tilt or cruise. He has modified the door panels to add speakers it appears, but I can still see the factory power window/lock switches on the "custom" speaker boxes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Pont...1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest Shaffer

Hey Philippe, they relisted that 76' Pontiac Parisienne Brougham that is in Ontario. I am not really wild about the 76' models (except for the Bonneville Brougham 4dr hdtp), but this is a nice car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-PONT...1QQcmdZViewItem

This 72' Grand Ville 4dr auction really makes me think. I am pretty sure that this is the same car I was going to buy last summer for $1,000. It was on e-bay and the car ended before I could get down to South Carolina and look at it. He later e-mailed me and said he sold it for $1000. I am 99.9% sure that it is the same car, because it is the same color and located in the same city as the one from last year. Also the options seem to be the same. I remember, because it was interestingly optioned. The only "interior" options it has are cruise control, A/C, AM-FM radio and "Custom" interior option. I remember I really liked it too because the Custom interior option is not all that often seen on the 72s. It added the upscale cloth brocade upholstery, cut-pile carpeting, upgraded door panels, etc.

I do not think they did much work to it, because I think I remember it being in this same condition. Buy it now is $3999, so obviously wanting to make a little profit. It does appear that is has received a good buffing and waxing.

After looking at the photos of the surface rust in the trunk due to a leaks, I am glad I bought my 73', because I do not have any rust at all in my trunk. I do like the body on the 72' better though. I just wish the 72's had fenderskirts too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-Pont...1QQcmdZViewItem