1972 Electra - another oddly equipped

Guest Shaffer

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

I hope someone saves this car. Sorry, not a Buick, but it is a "sister" car to the Buick. It is a very nice 1972 Pontiac Grand Ville 4dr hdtp sedan.

It too is optioned a bit peculiar. It has auto climate control, power seat and cruise, power locks, side moldings and bumper strips. However, it does lack power windows, FM radio, vinyl top, bumper guards and cornering lights, etc. I cannot tell if it has tilt or power trunk release. It also lacks the "Custom" interior option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-P...sspagenameZWDVW

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a interesting (or at least I think) auction. It is a 1973 Buick Electra Limited. The interesting thing is that finally- a car of this vintage showing the window sticker. I noticed the car lacked bumper gaurds, but when I looked at the window sticker, it listed the car with the bumper gaurds option. I looked on down and handwritten, it reads "take off bumper gaurds" and it shows the deduction. Would be interesting to know why the buyer of this car wanted them removed.

Also, several have asked me in the past about how much more the "Limited" option price was on the 72's. Finally, this 73' Limited window sticker shows it as a $277.00 option on the 73' model. I am guessing the 72' would be in that ballpark as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Very-Clea...1QQcmdZViewItem

While on the subject of Electras - here is a nice 74' Electra 2dr (listed as a 73 however). I thought that the seat material was very interesting. I do not think I have ever seen this material in these before. Is this original? Sure looks like it is. Definitely has 70s style. laugh.gif I like it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Buic...1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest imported_65gs76limited

Tony,As to the"take off bumper guards". I wouldn't be afraid to bet it had something to do with the garage door not closing.

Good point. grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tony,As to the"take off bumper guards". I wouldn't be afraid to bet it had something to do with the garage door not closing. </div></div>

I own a '78 Caprice,4 door,305 2 barrel,small brakes.Has A/C,but no P/W,no P/seats, no power locks,no rear defogger,no passenger side view mirror,BUT has the deluxe fuzzy interior.AM radio.No tilt. I thought a Caprice would have more gizmos, but aside from the chrome trim along the bottom,the nicer interior and the "Caprice" badging,it should be an Impala or less,a Biscayne/Belair. (?)

Yeah, that is what makes the 70s cars so interesting I think, is that you can have a loaded base model, or a plain high end model. Speaking of late 70s Caprices, the other day in a local supermarket parking lot, was a 78' Caprice Classic wagon. It was not the woodgrain equipped Estate model, but rather the basic Caprice wagon. I walked by and noticed that it had power windows, tilt wheel and cruise, but NO power locks. It also had the 3rd seat option. By the late 80s, these cars could still be oddly equipped. My 89' Pontiac Safari wagon has the woodgrain option, cornering lights, as well as the luggage rack. Interior wise, it has power windows, power locks, cruise, tilt, FM-AM cassette, A/C, rear defrost, spoke wheelcovers. Options I know it lack are power antenna and power seats. It also has the 3rd seat, but by 1987 I think that the 3rd seat was standard on these wagons, but they could be "deleted" if desired. I have seen even some 91+ Buick and Chevrolet wagons with the 3rd seat delete.

This evening at one of the local cruise-ins, I saw a 75, 76 or 77 Buick Regal Landau 2dr coupe. Not sure exactly what year, but it was the same body style as the 73' Regal, but it had rectangle headlamps- which I think was on the 75-77 models and I think the 78' was downsized. I was optioned with A/C (manual) power windows, rear defog, side moldings, bumper gaurds & strips, and 1/2 vinyl top. It did not have power locks, cruise or tilt. It was a very, very nice car. It was dark maroon with white vinyl top.

I think the most interesting car I seen this evening as far as options go was a 1969 Chevrolet Bel-Air 4dr sedan. It was the exact same color as my 69' Caprice. What was interesting was that when I looked in the car, I was suprised that it was a factory manual shift car. Even more odd, is that it had a factory floor shift. The ONLY option it had was a 350 V8, because the 6-cylinder was standard that year. There was absolutely NO other options except for the engine. Well, I did not get to look under the hood, but I bet it did not have power steering or power brakes either, but who knows. The lack of options on this lower line model is not that rare, but the 3-speed manual is rare on a large car of this vintage. It too was like a brand new car and all original.

We have talked a lot about the oddly optioned Buicks, as well as other GM cars, but here is a nice and rare car I thought was also interesting. Here is the "competitor" for the 73' Buick Electra, Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight and Mercury Marquis Brougham. It is an auction for a 1973 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham - this was the top of the line model. There was only one step up from this car- which was the Imperial, which was in line with the Cadillac and Lincoln. I think this would be very comparable to the 73' Electra Limited. First of all, it is a very nice car, but I got to looking and I do not see an A/C compressor. From what I can tell, it looks like it lacks A/C. I noticed it was from Quebec, Canada, which may explain that. Still a neat car, but I still would take a 73' Electra Limited anyday. I am not much of a Mopar fan, but you just do not see these cars anymore.

Here is the auction link and photos for the 73' New Yorker Brougham:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...A%3AIT&rd=1

Just thought I would also post one of the rarely seen 72' Imperial LeBaron 4dr-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...A%3AIT&rd=1

Tony,

Yes, this New Yorker lacks A/C, the control panel also shows it. Have you noticed it has the signal-seeking radio. I think that they were made by Delco for Chrysler, that's why it has the flip dial like many of the non-8 track GM radios had then. Note that the tuning knob is also located at the right of the dial, unlike other Chrysler radios.

6a37va.jpg

0c35zl.jpg

70's New Yorkers without A/C are not that common here either (but there are some, just like Electras...). But many, if not most, Newports (or comparable LeSabres) of this vintage lacked it. Some rural dealers didn't like to order cars with A/C as they didn't have the equipment to service it... This was still true in the late eighties for some smaller import car dealers: When my father had his Volkswagen's a/c repaired at the local Volks dealer, the car was sent to another garage.

Interesting information about the radio Philippe- I did not know that. Thanks for adding the info about the A/C. I was thinking that even up north, it would be rare for a high end model like this to lack A/C. Like you mentioned--Excluding the Imperial, the New Yorker Brougham was the nicest Chrysler you could get. They had the Newport, Newport Custom, New Yorker, then the New Yorker Brougham - then the Imperial of course. I guess the Newport was comparible to the LeSabre, Newport Custom comparible to the LeSabre Custom or Centurion (or perhaps the New Yorker), and I guess you could say the New Yorker comparible to the Electra and the New Yorker Brougham, comparable to the Electra Limited. According to NADA, this New Yorker had a base price of $5492. I could not find a price for 73' Electra Limited (other than the one with the window sticker posted on the other topic), but the Custom had a price around $5100.

Did you also notice that the NON-A/C New Yorker Brougham did have rear defog? I did not notice that before. smile.gif

The Imperial does have A/C. Auto climate control, which I think was the standard A/C. However, I think that A/C was even optional on those for that vintage- as it was on the Cadillac and Lincoln of those early 70s years (at least through 72'), but I think that any of those to lack A/C would be extremely, extremely rare, because I have NEVER personally seen an early 70s Cadillac, Lincoln or Imperial lacking A/C.

Also, did you notice the writing on the brake pedal of the 72' Imperial? I think it reads "power brake system". Not sure though, because I think that sometime during the early to mid 70s, that an "anti-lock" system was optional on the Imperials. I know for a fact it was standard on the 71+ (perhaps even 69-70) Lincoln Mark III's and optional on the Continental at least through 74' if I recall.

Its a big one huh? laugh.gif It should be made a "sticky" thread. grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know how you guys keep track of this thread anymore smirk.gifgrin.gif </div></div>

I'd like to suggest a couple things to help on the unending quest for unusually optioned cars. The first would be a Kelly blue book or New Car Price guide for the years you are interested in. Either of those will give you information on which items were standard or optional for each model, along with option pricing. Back issues are available at used book stores and online. The second would be to browse through an auto industry book called Ward's Automotive Reports. This book was published every year and included lots of data for the previous years production, including option installation rates. These are available at larger public libraries and at university libraries. You can copy the pages that show option installation. I think these would be very useful for someone interested in options, and will answer many of your questions.

Guest Shaffer

Junkboy - I think you have/had some early 70s Oldsmobiles. Not sure if you saw this car, but I thought you would like to see it. It is a stunning 73' Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 4dr sedan. It has 8300 actual miles and is absolutely like BRAND NEW.

I am suprised that it did not go much above $3000. The auction only shows one photograph, but there is a link there that opens several more photographs, but sometimes they are slow to load if you click on them.

Note the loop carpeting - like NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Guest Shaffer

No problem Joel. I thought you would like to see it.

Phillipe- was that car the base Delta 88, or Delta 88 Royale? As mentioned, we used to have a 72' Delta 88 Royale 2dr. I have not seen one personally for many years. About 14 years ago in a neighborhood we lived in, I remember a old lady down the street had a 73' Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 2dr hardtop, that was the same color of green as the 73' 4dr above. I remember that even back in the late 80s and early 90s, that car was already in poor condition however. Its funny, because I just remembered that I know where another 73 2dr Delta 88 had set for many years here locally. It vanished about 2 years ago. It was nothing but total surface rust. I know where another one is setting about 18 miles from here. Again a 73' 2dr Delta 88. I have not been on that road in a while. I wonder if it is still there.

Guest Shaffer

Joel - was it you that also has the dark blue 73' Grand Ville 4dr that has a lot of options? I do not remember who owned that car.

I am wondering because I got my copy of the 1973 movie "Seven Ups" the other day that has the "NEW" 73' Pontiacs being crashed in it. One that is really hard to watch is the 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville 4dr. It is the rare dark blue color. Someone either here or on the Pontiac site has one very similar, but if I recall, they said it was not worth restoring because it had set too long.

This 73' GV on the movie also had the following known options: cornering lights, power windows, power locks, vinyl top, bumper gaurds, side moldings, bumper rub strips and manual control A/C.

I noticed that the 73' Catalina 4dr hardtop (I think it was black) had auto climate control A/C. Pretty neat I thought. It does not get crashed I do not think, but it does see some abuse speeding over bumps in the garage complex. mad.gif

Attached is a photo of the car that I saved. Is this your car, or knows who ist belongs to?

Guest Shaffer

Rear view:

* This car is identical to the one in the movie, except the one in the 73' movie was obviously brand new. It pains me to watch them race the car through the busy city streets. It gets heavily damaged, but back then, there were 44,000 of these cars, so it was just another car on the road.

Yep, that was me with the Pontiac. It's still sitting in the yard... the car's transmission was gone as was the carb...but I poured a little gas down the intake the engine actually fired off & ran for a couple seconds!

I get so lucky sometimes. For example, I was at the local recycler yard last Saturday & two immigrants dragged in a '79 Caprice 2-door (complete). The car did have the 350-4bbl engine intact. I asked the guy what was wrong & he said, "motor good". I took the battery off my S-10, put it on the car (after they put it on "the pile"!) & it fired right off & ran great! The guy at the yard sold me the complete engine (wiring harness, ps pump, compressor, etc. for $100! All the spark plug wire clips are still intact & the engine cleaned up real nice too. What a find!

Talk about off-topic.

Back to the Olds...you don't see too many base Delta 88s: most were Royales. Every once in awhile you'll see a base car. I remember seeing one in a scrapyard one time...a base '73 88 coupe. It had power windows/locks/seats/clock/tilt/cruise/etc. with the 350-2 engine. That was a weird one!

Guest Shaffer

Yeah- that was a weird 78' Delta 88 base coupe. Many of those were plain janes.

I was thinking it was you with the blue 73' Grand Ville. Have you ever seen the movie I was referring to? If not, you owe it to yourself to watch it. Seeing them literally destroy a "NEW" 73' Grand Ville is not easy to watch. tongue.gif

From what I have been able to see of the car in the movie, it is a very high optioned car. It has cornering lights, side moldings, vinyl top, bumper gaurds, bumper strips. I cannot tell a lot about the interior, but from the few interior shots it shows, I can see that it does have manual A/C, power locks, power windows. I cannot tell if it has other options, such as tilt, cruise, power trunk, power seat, FM radio, etc.

It also shows the 73 Catalina 4dr hardtop I mentioned. I thought it was very interesting that it had auto-climate control A/C. It was a beautiful black on black car. It did not get a lot of damage, except for the trunk lock was shot with a gun. mad.gif

Speaking of "NEW" 73 models - check out this 73' Cadillac Sedan DeVille with 7700 actual miles. Pretty amazing automobile.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/73-MINT-C...cmdZViewItem#lg

I mistyped my earlier post. I meant a 73 Delta 88, not a '78. SORRY!!

Regarding the movie, no thanks!! I would be miserable watching a '73 GM product (esp a Pontiac) get destroyed/damaged.

I used to work at the movie theater when "The Last Boy Scout" was out. My girlfriend (who later graduated to ex-wife status) saw it while I was working. She ran out during the show & said..."they are driving a Boattail Riviera!!" I asked her about it & she described a red/white '73 Riviera.

I couldn't wait to see the movie...When she walked out at the end, she told me to NOT see that movie. Something about an explosion. Don't even want to know..

That Cadillac is sweet! Typical rip-off car dealer though. At least it'll stay preserved (at that stupid price!).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Phillipe- was that car the base Delta 88, or Delta 88 Royale? </div></div>

It was the base model, it had the same cloth as this 4 door hardtop (but it was green).

67251235full4tu.jpg

Tony, Almost everyday, I think about you when I see a white 73 Pontiac Grand Ville convertible in my neighborhood. It's been for sale for many years and it's owner always leaves the top down on nice days. The weather was nice last week and I saw it a few times. If it would have been a 73 Centurion 455 (or better, a 1972), it would probably be mine now as it seems to be in relatively good shape for a northeastern car!

Guest Shaffer

I see. I would like to have seen that 73 Delta 88 with those options. I think our old 72' Delta 88 Royale 2dr was very high optioned, but it was a Royale.

I agree with you about the film. It is painful to watch, but when I watch it, it makes me appreciate my car even more. smile.gif

It is a lot like the movie "License to Drive" which was a movie I liked, especially in the very early 1990s, because that is when I got my license. As you know, the "star car" was a 72' Cadillac that really goes through torture. I bet that more than one of those cars were destroyed. frown.gif

Ironically, my first car was a dark blue 1972 Cadillac Sedan DeVille - when I was 16.

Speaking of Rivieras- I am suprisingly seeing a lot of those lately at the local cruise-in. There was a white 72' Riviera there tonight that I had never seen down there before- slightly customized. Actually, most I have seen here locally have been customized.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I mistyped my earlier post. I meant a 73 Delta 88, not a '78. SORRY!!

Regarding the movie, no thanks!! I would be miserable watching a '73 GM product (esp a Pontiac) get destroyed/damaged.

I used to work at the movie theater when "The Last Boy Scout" was out. My girlfriend (who later graduated to ex-wife status) saw it while I was working. She ran out during the show & said..."they are driving a Boattail Riviera!!" I asked her about it & she described a red/white '73 Riviera.

I couldn't wait to see the movie...When she walked out at the end, she told me to NOT see that movie. Something about an explosion. Don't even want to know..

That Cadillac is sweet! Typical rip-off car dealer though. At least it'll stay preserved (at that stupid price!). </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

That is a really neat looking interior and a great color. Is that the interior of a 72'? I really love the brocade cloth seat options on these cars. It really adds a lot of class to the car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was the base model, it had the same cloth as this 4 door hardtop (but it was green).

67251235full4tu.jpg

Tony, Almost everyday, I think about you when I see a white 73 Pontiac Grand Ville convertible in my neighborhood. It's been for sale for many years and it's owner always leaves the top down on nice days. The weather was nice last week and I saw it a few times. If it would have been a 73 Centurion 455 (or better, a 1972), it would probably be mine now as it seems to be in relatively good shape for a northeastern car! </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

lol. Sounds like it is a nice car. Seems like a lot of the 73' Grand Ville convertibles were white. I wish my sedan was white with blue interior. They must really be asking a good amount for it since they still have it. Often people overprice cars and you would think they would reduce them, but many refuse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Tony, Almost everyday, I think about you when I see a white 73 Pontiac Grand Ville convertible in my neighborhood. It's been for sale for many years and it's owner always leaves the top down on nice days. The weather was nice last week and I saw it a few times. If it would have been a 73 Centurion 455 (or better, a 1972), it would probably be mine now as it seems to be in relatively good shape for a northeastern car! </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

Here is an unusual 71' Electra 2dr base coupe. Sadly, it has suffered a pretty severe rear-end collision.

Note the lack of power door locks, tilt, & cruise. Other options lacking as well. As far as the exterior goes - vinyl top and side moldings are the only things I see.

Engine looks very well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-BUIC...1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest Shaffer

I think we talked about this before, but I cannot find the thread/post.

Anyway- was the "custom cushion" steering wheel optional on the 73' LeSabre's? I was thinking that by 73' it was standard on the LeSabre's, because it was standard on the full-size Chevrolet's for 73'. It is probably listed in my 73' Buick sales brochure, but I have it stored away.

Here is the very nice 73' LeSabre Custom 4-door sedan, with a 455 that I noticed with the "plastic" steering wheel, because it is cracked to bits. Otherwise, it is a very nice automobile.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Buic...1QQcmdZViewItem

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

Sorry, not a Buick, or even a GM car for that matter, but I thought this old 54' Ford sedan was very interesting. It is equipped with power windows and power seat, which was very rare for a 54' Ford. What makes it even more interesting is that this one is a 3-speed manual shift.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1954-Ford...1QQcmdZViewItem

My grandfathers old 56' Ford Fairlane 4dr had power seat, which was rare on the 56's as well, but it was automatic.

Guest Shaffer

I like this one. 72' Electra 4dr (base model), but has power windows, power locks, light monitors (not often seen on the base), cruise, power seat, vinyl top, side moldings, bumper strips, A/C, also appears to have tilt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-Buic...1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a nice (and pricey) 71' Electra Limited 4dr. I have not seen to many 71' Limited's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-BLUE...1QQcmdZViewItem

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Shaffer

To update - obviously not- it sold for $6500! In my opinion, it was worth it. If I had of had the extra room and cash, I would have bought it.

Well, while I am posting- here is a RARELY seen model of the 71-76 GM full-size car - a 1972 Pontiac Catalina Brougham. Not many Catalina's with the "Brougham" trim were made. This one is also a rare color. Some options include A/C, AM-FM, power windows, power seats. Very well cared for, but the northeastern climate has taken a toll on the body, but at least it was easy on the interior. Joel - you may like to see this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-C...bayphotohosting

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tony,

That was a nice Pontiac. Unusual option combo too. Silver looks so good on those cars. Funny you should post that car...

This weekend, I was at the junkyard & someone brought in an Ascot Silver 1973 Catalina sedan. The car had the 400 2bbl engine, A/C, Rally Wheels, Bumper rub strips, body side moldings, & a vinyl top (at one time). The car was so rusty the roof tore off when the guy picked it off the truck with the forklift. The car did not have a remote mirror, clock, nor any other options.

Hey, which forum was talking about manual transmissions in a '71 to '76 model full-size car? Weren't a few only made in '71? Well, I couldn't believe my eyes, but at that same yard was a 1972 Biscayne that was originally a 6-cylinder, 3-on-the-tree. The car's roof had already been caved in, but I managed to grab the column, clutch pedals, z-bar, dash parts, cowl tag, & owner's manuals out of it. This car must be rare! It had zero options other than power steering & power brakes. It was cream-colored & had only a heater & a radio block-off plate. Wild, huh?

I grabbed all that stuff Saturday afternoon & stashed it since the owner already went home. I showed up this morning @7am to retrieve my pile & pay for it & evidently they worked over the weekend & crushed the car.. Whew, I almost missed out!

• 1 month later...
Guest Shaffer

Hey Joel... sorry to my delay in the reply. I did not know anyone had replied. Yeah, I thought that 72' Catalina Brougham was a neat car. Not too many Catalina Broughams were made and I personally have not seen many silver early 70s GM cars. It was optioned neatly too. Power seats, A/C, FM-AM radio, cruise, power windows, but no power locks or tilt. I thought it was odd too that it had front bumper strips, but no rear ones. I think I have seen other early 70s GM cars like this as well. The car has obviously been well cared for, but it looks like the northeastern winters have taken a toll on the body, but nothing that cannot be fixed. I just hope it sold to someone who would fix it, rather than junking it. The 73' Catalina you mentioned sounded like a neat (once neat anyway) car.

About the manual transmission 71 GM cars.... I think we were discussing that in the Pontiac (71-76) forum. Someone had mentioned that 3-speed manual was standard in early 71' on many GM models (including Buick LeSabre), but it was very, very rare. It was mentioned that "3" (three) 1971 Pontiac Grand Villes had 3-speed manuals and I think one was a convertible and the others were 2drs. I think it would be neat to see one. I think that by mid 71' automatic was standard. The ONLY full-size 71' GM car I have seen with a manual transmission was a 1971 Chevrolet and a Caprice at that. It was a surprisingly well equipped one too. It had power windows, power locks, vinyl top, FM radio to mention a few, but a 3-speed manual! That was very interesting. Someone somewhere mentioned that they had seen a 1971 Buick LeSabre 4dr sedan with a 3-speed manual, with NO options. That would also be interesting to see.

That Biscayne you mentioned sounds very interesting. I originally thought that by 72', that automatic was standard even on Biscayne, but I may be wrong. That "mid 71'" all automatics deal may have been for V8's only. Since the Biscayne you mentioned was a 6-cylinder, that may mean that was the case. I think auto was standard on the V8 Biscayne. I would imagine that 6-cylinder you seen is a very rare little bird. I personally have never seen a 6-cylinder model, but only have read about them.

To add to some "junk yard" finds I have seen in comparison on some property not too far from here (with over 500 old cars) is another Biscayne, but it is a 1971 4dr sedan. It has a V8 however and an automatic. I think it only had A/C, I cannot recall, but will check the next time I go out there. He also has a 1973 Pontiac Bonneville 4dr sedan with an FM radio - it also has cruise and that is all - which seems strange. I would like to get that radio for my 73' Grand Ville, which has an AM radio.

He also has a 71' Catalina 4dr hardtop sedan - another interesting car, as it is highly optioned. I suppose my favorite one he has is a 1971 Pontiac Grand Safari wagon, that is loaded! It has woodgrain option, as well as tilt, cruise, power windows, power locks, A/C (auto climate control) power seat, AM-FM radio w/8-track, power tailgate, power rear window, luggage rack, cornering lights, bumper strips, bumper gaurds - whats even more strange is that it does NOT have the 3rd seat option, nor the vinyl top option. 2-seat 71' Grand Safari wagons were rare and I bet one equipped like this is extremely rare. Too bad it has set for over 25 years and is very rusty on the lower parts. Also, the engine has been robbed out of it. frown.gif

He also has a rare 1972 Ford Gran Torino Squire 3-seat wagon - highly optioned.

Too bad you did not get photos of the 72' Biscayne, I would have liked to have seen it. It was crushed? frown.gif Even rarer car now. I wonder how many still exist? I saw a 71' Biscayne wagon for sale a while back on traderonline.

Next time I go to that old junk yard, I am going to take my camera. Its really neat there.

Thanks for posting that info! Neat finds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Tony,

That was a nice Pontiac. Unusual option combo too. Silver looks so good on those cars. Funny you should post that car...

This weekend, I was at the junkyard & someone brought in an Ascot Silver 1973 Catalina sedan. The car had the 400 2bbl engine, A/C, Rally Wheels, Bumper rub strips, body side moldings, & a vinyl top (at one time). The car was so rusty the roof tore off when the guy picked it off the truck with the forklift. The car did not have a remote mirror, clock, nor any other options.

Hey, which forum was talking about manual transmissions in a '71 to '76 model full-size car? Weren't a few only made in '71? Well, I couldn't believe my eyes, but at that same yard was a 1972 Biscayne that was originally a 6-cylinder, 3-on-the-tree. The car's roof had already been caved in, but I managed to grab the column, clutch pedals, z-bar, dash parts, cowl tag, & owner's manuals out of it. This car must be rare! It had zero options other than power steering & power brakes. It was cream-colored & had only a heater & a radio block-off plate. Wild, huh?

I grabbed all that stuff Saturday afternoon & stashed it since the owner already went home. I showed up this morning @7am to retrieve my pile & pay for it & evidently they worked over the weekend & crushed the car.. Whew, I almost missed out! </div></div>

There is currently an oddly equipped 1976 Buick Century Special on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-Buic...1QQcmdZViewItem

The page is currently not responding, here's the item number: 4636770813

It has a landau roof with small windows similar to those of the Century Custom and Regal models (but it has the standard Century roofline). It has the upgrade interior like the interior that was standard in the Century Custom. It has rubber impact strips on it's bumpers (those were usually deleted on Specials) and it's also equipped with sport mirrors, A/C, power windows and locks...

I'm wondering why someone ordered all these options on a Special while it would have been possible to get a Century or Century Custom with the same engine and equipment.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks Phil for posting that..... that is a very interesting car. The link is working now.

First of all, I wonder how well that V6 pulls that heavy car?

Did you notice that description does not even mention that it has power windows/locks? Did you also notice that it has rear window defog? Also, I may be wrong, but it also looks like it has power antenna. I did not even know it was available on these cars, unless it was an aftermarket item? confused.gif I cannot tell if it has tilt wheel and/or cruise control can you?

Needless to say, this is a neat car. Despite being a New York car (which may explain the rear defog), it still looks very solid. Hopefully it gets a good home.

That question about someone ordering all of this on a "Special" is a good one. I think the same thing when I see a high optioned "low-end" model. I saw a rare 73' Bel-Air (plain Impala), 4dr a while back with power windows, power locks and tilt wheel. Most of the Impalas and even some Caprices did not have those options. Makes you wonder why they did not all a little more $$$ and get the extra trim on the body and a fancier interior, unless they did not care about that. confused.gif Personally, if I were going to spend all of that on options, I would go ahead and get a higher end model. Its neat though, because that is one thing that makes these cars so interesting.

1973 Pontiac Grand Ville Custom 4dr hardtop

1969 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr hardtop

1989 Pontiac Safari 3-seat wagon

1987 Ford Country Squire LX 4-seat wagon

1985 Mercedes-Benz 380SE 4dr sedan

First of all, I wonder how well that V6 pulls that heavy car? </div></div>

Imagine how it did in a 1976 LeSabre with the same options...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Did you also notice that it has rear window defog? Also, I may be wrong, but it also looks like it has power antenna. I did not even know it was available on these cars, unless it was an aftermarket item? confused.gif </div></div>

The rear defog was quite popular in the northern states, here in Quebec, most cars had very few options but this one was almost necessary. In fact, the heated glass version that was introduced on Buicks in 1969 was getting very popular in the mid-seventies and there were even aftermarket blowers and heated glass defrosters available. In Canada, 1976 was also the first year that the heated glass was standard on the Electra and Riviera models. It was still possible to delete it for a credit. The heated glass was still not available on the Skylark but most other Buicks had it then. My father had a 76 Century Custom coupe that didn't have many options (a console, a 2 barrel 350, an AM-FM radio and sport mirrors) and it had the heated glass.

The power antenna is an aftermarket, I don't think it was available on the mid-size Buicks.

I cannot tell if it has tilt wheel and/or cruise control can you?

</div></div>

It doesn't.

Needless to say, this is a neat car. Despite being a New York car (which may explain the rear defog), it still looks very solid. Hopefully it gets a good home.

</div></div>

If I had more money or space, I'd be very interested in this one because of it's interesting options. And with the actual gas prices, I'd probably save some money driving it!