1972 Electra - another oddly equipped

Guest Shaffer

You fellas are making reference to the 400. I work with a guy who used to be a borough cop and he was looking over my shoulder when I was looking at that Biscayne. He said he thought that car might have the police package because his borough had an unmarked Biscayne like that in '72 and theirs had a 400 also.

Paul

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for that info Paul. I was thinking that perhaps it was some sort of a detective car or unmarked patrol or something. It was very strange to see the 400 in such a plain car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldsfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You fellas are making reference to the 400. I work with a guy who used to be a borough cop and he was looking over my shoulder when I was looking at that Biscayne. He said he thought that car might have the police package because his borough had an unmarked Biscayne like that in '72 and theirs had a 400 also.

Paul </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

Bill, I do not remember you mentioning that about the 72' Calais, but thanks for that info. I find that very interesting! I would like to know what that HVAC control looks like on that vintage Caddy W/O A/C. I bet it also lacked the light monitors. I personally have never seen a Cadillac of that vintage (really past 1965 for that matter) without A/C. The lack of radio, like you said would definitely look strange in a Cadillac. @ $6480, it was still a pricey car wasnt it? smile.gif NADA is showing that car had a base price of $5771, but they could definitely be off- that may be before transports, dealer fees, etc however. Seems like that price still exceeds something like a totally loaded out 72' Caprice 4dr. NADA showing $4076. I am thinking a loaded out one of those stickered around $4900-$5100. It really is strange to see a "plain" Caddy of that vintage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may have mentioned this before, but I can clearly remember our local small-town dealer getting in a new black '72 Calais hardtop sedan with blackwalls, no air, and no radio. It had power windows (standard equipment), but I don't remember if it had power seats. It had black cloth interior. I am almost certain the sticker showed the car had NO options. The price at the bottom was $6,480, I do remember that. It was obviously an ordered car as it disappeared from the lot in a day or two, and I never saw it around town after that. Sure looked funny to see a radio delete filler plate in a Cadillac!

Bill P. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

Thanks. Yeah I was thinking that appeared to not be carpeting... its just for some reason, I thought that carpeting was standard. I was thinking afterward that maybe carpeting was a "delete" option. I know that alot of the Biscaynes were used as company cars, police cars and taxis (fleet cars), so lack of carpeting makes sense. Now I am wondering if the competetion of the same year from Ford and Mopar- like the Ford Custom and the Plymouth Fury I also had vinyl flooring?

Thanks for the info too about the seating options. I have often seen some (mostly seems like 73 models) Chevrolet Impalas - some with all-vinyl seats, whereas some have a nicer looking cloth seat. I have also sometimes seen this on the 72-73 Catalinas. There is one on e-bay now (ended)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150134918042&rd=1&rd=1

that I think will see its fate in a derby unfortunately. Anyway, it has the cloth interior. I e-mailed and he said it had all options except tilt wheel, cruise and power windows. I have not looked in my Pontiac brochures of these years for awhile and we may have discussed it before, but I have seen some 71-73 Catalinas with the cheap looking 2-spoke hard plastic steering wheel (with the all-vinyl interior) while I have seen some with the 3-spoke custom cushioned wheel with the cloth/vinyl interior. I have also seen this same old cheap 2-spoke plastic wheel on some of the 73' Catalinas, as well as some 73' Buick LeSabres - but the whats strange is that in the same year, even the cheapest Chevrolet Bel-Air has the custom cushioned wheel, whereas the year before, even on the Caprice, the only wheel was a 2-spoke plastic wheel. I am guessing that on the 71-73 Catalinas and LeSabres, that the upgraded interior and steering wheel upgrade was optional. I agree with you about the Catalina Brougham of 71-72. They had a very nice upgrade and I think nearly as nice as the higher end Bonneville.

Not to stray too far off topic, but if I ever get that local 72' Caprice Kingswood Estate wagon from that lady, I honestly think I would change out the steering wheel from a 73 Chevrolet for the cushioned wheel. For some reason, I just like it better. AFAIK, the Oldsmobiles from that vintage 71-76 never had a cushioned steering wheel? I am thinking they were all plastic, all years. Even on the Ninety-Eights. Do you know if I am correct Bill? I am thinking its the same way on the Cadillac... the wheels were plastic, but like the Oldsmobile Ninety-Eights, they were upscale and normally had a "woodgrain ring" around the wheel itself. Its strange that the higher end Buicks and Pontiacs (and Chevrolets beginning in 73') used the CC wheels and Cadillac and Olds never did during those years. It may be where the wheels where thicker and it was not as easy back then to make a cushioned wheel that thick. ??

Oh - getting back on track on Electras... you may have seen this neat 73' Electra 2dr. All-vinyl interior (non-Custom model) and no power windows... nice car!

http://i18.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/a7/23/93bc_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Electra-2...1QQcmdZViewItem

Brian may have already seen this... would like it for sure, its a neat car. A very nicely optioned 72' Centurion 2dr. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLASSIC-1...1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is mine... I love it... a low mileage 72' Electra:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-Elec...1QQcmdZViewItem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure about Oldsmobiles (re.: green '73 Delta 88 above), but if they were like Chevrolets, all-vinyl was ALWAYS a low-cost option in the early '70's...often, priced somewhere from $19 to $31 extra. Cloth and vinyl was always standard in Novas, Chevelles, Monte Carlos, and full-size Chevrolets (except Biscaynes, where woven vinyl was the only choice).

Re.: Whether the Biscayne had carpeting or vinyl floor covering, I am thinking they had vinyl floor covering. Carpeting came in the BelAir. The '71 and '72 Biscaynes and BelAirs were nearly indistinguishable from the outside in trim (nameplates differed only), and the interior of the BelAir had cloth and vinyl seats standard, and I believe carpeting. Very little difference overall between a Biscayne and BelAir in those two years.

The Biscayne came with standard rocker panel moldings. If you bought a standard Pontiac Catalina sedan in '71 and '72, it had no more (standard) exterior moldings than this Biscayne. The Catalina's interior was somewhere between BelAir and Impala level though, in my opinion. (Catalina Brougham was much nicer seat trim). I believe even the cheapest Buick LeSabre had the side window reveal and roof drip moldings standard, though, although no wheel opening moldings standard. Olds Delta 88's had standard wheel opening moldings, rocker panel moldings, and I believe full-wheel covers, as well as side window reveal and roof drip moldings. I'm pretty sure '71 LeSabres came with small hub caps but also had the rocker panel moldings.

Bill P. </div></div>

Guest my3buicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaffer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Brian may have already seen this... would like it for sure, its a neat car. A very nicely optioned 72' Centurion 2dr. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLASSIC-1...1QQcmdZViewItem

</div></div>

It's a nice looking car, but he will never see anywhere near his starting bid, he may get luck and see half of that for it. Did you notice the Lesabre hood and fenders? I can't see a good/clear/brite enough picture of the grill to see if it's Centurion or not, but I bet it has a complete LeSabre front clip on it.

Guest Shaffer

Ew, you have a keen eye....No, I did not even notice that it had the LeSabre hood/fenders. Yeah, teh photo with the grill is very dark.. I cannot see either. I also agree about the price. Its steep. People should start bids out low.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: my3buicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It's a nice looking car, but he will never see anywhere near his starting bid, he may get luck and see half of that for it. Did you notice the Lesabre hood and fenders? I can't see a good/clear/brite enough picture of the grill to see if it's Centurion or not, but I bet it has a complete LeSabre front clip on it. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65gs76limited</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't know you could DELETE the bumper strips.</div></div>

You couldn't delete them, as they were not standard. Option VE5 was the Protective Front and Rear Bumper Rub Strip package - a $24 option on all 98 models. Funny, they were standard on the 88 Royale...

Paul

Guest Shaffer

Wow - thats interesting that someone bought it and is over there on the boards. I am wondering though... since this car had the radio delete- I wonder if its as simple as adding a radio, or will wiring have to be added to install it? I am wondering if the car was already wired for a radio and they just simply did not install the unit. Yeah, that is funny that the bumper strips were optional on the 98s but standard on the 88 Royales... I did not know that... speaking of 88s - here is a nice one that was on ebay - oddly optioned too I might add:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1&viewitem=&item=260129535621

I had emailed the seller about it and his reply was: "Hello, NO CRUISE, NO TILT, YES AM/FM RADIO WITH POWER ANTENNA, YES POWER TRUNK RELEASE. NO REAR DEFROST AND NO POWER SEAT. NOW A QUESTION FOR YOU . DO YOU THINK THE CAR WAS SPECIAL ORDERED? AND DID ALL THESE CARS COME WITH FACTORY POSITRACTION. AND ONE MORE. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE RATIO IS FOR THE REAR DIFF? THANKS J.R."

I did not know that they had power antennas on those cars back then... also interesting to note that it has power trunk release, cornering lights, power antenna, but no cruise or tilt- which are the more common options.. this car has the less seen options. It also has power windows, but I do not think it had power locks. Just another odd one for the books. laugh.gif

Here is another one - I had someone call me that has a 73' Chevrolet Impala wagon for sale... I was asking about options and he was looking as I was asking. It options are: A/C, 3rd seat, power seat, power tailgate, luggage rack, bumper strips, side moldings, bumper gaurds, AM-FM radio - but NO power windows (save for the standard rear power window), NO power locks, NO cruise, NO tilt. Strange, because most of the Impala wagons did NOT have power seat or the power tailgate options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldsfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65gs76limited</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't know you could DELETE the bumper strips.</div></div>

You couldn't delete them, as they were not standard. Option VE5 was the Protective Front and Rear Bumper Rub Strip package - a $24 option on all 98 models. Funny, they were standard on the 88 Royale...

Paul </div></div>

That's a good question about the radio delete. There's probably a power feed from the main harness, but that's it. Most likely no speaker(s) and no speaker wiring. Also, these are the years when the non-power antennas were imbedded into the windshield glass. May not also have all the static suppression equipment that is required. He might be in for more of a project than he realizes.

They must have has a power antenna available in '73, because the parts book lists a power antenna mast for 88, 98 and Toronado.

Paul

Guest Shaffer

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... about it not being as easy as "placing in a radio" in the slot. It would be interesting to know if the car has the windshield in the antenna. I am guessing that since so many of the 71-76 GM cars had radios, that they all may have had the antenna even if one came without it.

Yeah, the owner of the 73' Delta 88 Royale said that the power antenna was factory.... I have never seen it on another 71-76 GM car... was it only available on the Oldsmobiles those years, or do you know? Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldsfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a good question about the radio delete. There's probably a power feed from the main harness, but that's it. Most likely no speaker(s) and no speaker wiring. Also, these are the years when the non-power antennas were imbedded into the windshield glass. May not also have all the static suppression equipment that is required. He might be in for more of a project than he realizes.

They must have has a power antenna available in '73, because the parts book lists a power antenna mast for 88, 98 and Toronado.

Paul </div></div>

Right here it is - option U75 power front fender antenna. $32 on 88s, 98s, Custom Cruisers and Toronados. For $32, who wouldn't have ordered one!? I would imagine if Olds had them, the other divisions did, too.

I stupidly thinned out my sales literature collection from this era. Haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. '71 and '73 Buick brochures make no mention of power antennas. I've got a Buick parts book printed in '72 and it lists no power antenna parts after 1969. '75 Cadillac brochure shows it as being standard, even on the Calais. The '75 Chevrolet brochure only says that factory installed radios include windshield antennas. Pontiac brochures from '74, '75 and '76 also make no mention of power antennas. I used to work for a Pontiac dealer and the owner had a cranberry '75 Grand Ville convertible. I thought that car had a power antenna. Maybe I'm wrong.

Paul

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for that info! Its very interesting. I once thought that I seen a 75' Grand Ville Brougham 4dr HDTP with power antenna, but I may be wrong. The car was loaded to the max! If you seen a 75 GV convertible with one, then it may have been as well on the on I think I saw. Its definitely something I will take note of.

On a side note, I think I have finally found a "clamshell" wagon. Its a 1972 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate (Caprice) wagon. It has the 3rd seat, A/C, tilt, cruise, AM/8-track, bumper strips, luggage rack, power tailgate - I think thats it. In comparison, I had found another same year Caprice wagon that lacked bumper strips and cruise, but had power windows... the odd options continues. smile.gif

I would still love to know how the local 72' Caprice Estate wagon is equipped. The woman or son will not even return our phone calls! I have given up on that one... onto another, even if I have to pay $800.00 shipping charges alone. shocked.gif

Guest Shaffer

Well, I may find out afterall. Amazingly, the lady finally called me today! She asked me what I would give her for the car. I hate pricing other peoples items. I went ahead and offered her $2000. for the car. She said she would think about it and let me know. Im not sure. She may think its a $5000. car and it may be, but its more than I can afford. I will keep you posted.

I do know that it as the 3rd seat and A/C... I did at least ask her that. Those were the two main options that are a "must" for me. The way she was talking, the woman she bought it from in 1979 had ordered it with every option available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaffer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I would still love to know how the local 72' Caprice Estate wagon is equipped. The woman or son will not even return our phone calls! I have given up on that one... onto another, even if I have to pay $800.00 shipping charges alone. shocked.gif

</div></div>

Guest Shaffer

Here is another odd one for ya.. its actually for sale in Ohio...

It has 3rd seat, A/C, power door locks, AM radio, luggage rack, woodgrain, bumper strips... appears to be it.

74vista1.jpg

74vista2.jpg

74vista5.jpg

74vista6.jpg

74vista7.jpg

74vista9.jpg

Guest 63Stude

Interesting car and equipment, but I just HATE that color! My parents had a new '74 Impala Sport Coupe in that very color, with white painted top. I wanted a maroon one the dealer had with white painted top and black and white "Herringbone" seat trim, but Dad won out. That green looks like baby diarrhea to me!

Bill

So, you like oddly optioned vehicles, huh?

Just returned from a small regional Vintage Chevrolet Club show being held at a local hotel. One of the entries was a Fawn Beige Metallic '62 Biscayne 2-door post sedan. It had poverty hubcaps and blackwall tires. No trim rings. It was some sort of V8 with an automatic and power steering and brakes. Other equipment was Guide-Matic automatic headlamp dimmer, Cruise Control and blower-style rear window defogger.

BTW, nice find on that Vista Cruiser.

Paul

Guest Shaffer

Bill - I know the exact car you are talking about... I have seen this same color on the 74' Impalas you describe and yes, it is an "unpleasant" color. I have seen this color on many 4dr 74' Impalas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting car and equipment, but I just HATE that color! My parents had a new '74 Impala Sport Coupe in that very color, with white painted top. I wanted a maroon one the dealer had with white painted top and black and white "Herringbone" seat trim, but Dad won out. That green looks like baby diarrhea to me!

Bill </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

WOW, that is an odd car! RARE I should say! There were even many Impalas that year that lacked power steering and power brakes - unsual you see them on an entry-level Biscayne 2dr sedan. Those last three options you mentioned are even more mind boggling. I have not even seen these options on the top of the line Impalas in 62'. Do you recall if that 62' Biscayne had the padded dash option? Now that would be wild if it did, because I had personally never seen this option on the Biscaynes of the early 60s. Mostly was an Impala option.

I was going to start a new thread, but here is a neat 60' LeSabre 2dr that has appeared on ebay... I think one like this was discussed here before... its a plain-jane 60' LeSabre - NO power steering, NO power brakes, 3-speed manual, and has a black steering wheel/column! I remember seeing one other like this a few years ago.. not sure if this is the same car or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1960-BUIC...1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, there was also a green 73' Pontiac Grand Safari wagon that I was interested in that is in Chicago... it was pretty odd as well. It had the 3rd seat, power door locks, tilt wheel, auto-climate control A/C, AM-FM/8-track, luggage rack - but it did NOT have power windows (but remember it does have power door locks), NO power seat, NO power tailgate, NO woodgrain, NO cruise control. Strange.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldsfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, you like oddly optioned vehicles, huh?

Just returned from a small regional Vintage Chevrolet Club show being held at a local hotel. One of the entries was a Fawn Beige Metallic '62 Biscayne 2-door post sedan. It had poverty hubcaps and blackwall tires. No trim rings. It was some sort of V8 with an automatic and power steering and brakes. Other equipment was Guide-Matic automatic headlamp dimmer, Cruise Control and blower-style rear window defogger.

BTW, nice find on that Vista Cruiser.

Paul </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

How is this for rare? 1973 Pontiac Luxury Lemans 4dr, high optioned (power windows, power seat, power door locks), but has a 3-speed manual! Strange ad... it says it has 30K miles, but someone on the Pontiac boards was questioning why it needed a new clutch @ 30K.

I imagine that there were very few of the "Luxury" models with the manual shift... I wonder if the similiar Buick Century of that same year had any manual (3-speed) transmissions?

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/car/376046644.html

Guest 63Stude

Wow, that LeMans IS rare! I was not crazy about the '73 LeMans in general; my eyes didn't like the pointy rear end nor the dash. However, I DID always like the '73 Luxury LeMans Coupe...a luxury model WITH the fastback roof and large triangular quarter windows! Seems like in '74 and later, that roofline (which I always liked...GREAT visibility inside!) only got teamed up with low-level models with plain interiors. Never liked that fastback roofline with the tiny "opera" windows and huge blind spot that you started seeing in '74 and later.

Bill P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaffer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you recall if that 62' Biscayne had the padded dash option?</div></div>

I don't really recall. Tempted to say not. Not exactly sure what should be padded on a '62. I'm pretty sure the Guide-Matic was mounted to metal on the dash.

Paul

Guest Shaffer

I agree with you... I was not too wild about the 73' LeMans either. I did always find the Luxury LeMans interesting though, as they seemed to be harder to find. I do not recall when the last time I saw one, much less with a 3-speed manual- then those other options! Obviously, someone must have liked changing gears! laugh.gif

Of these body styles, I did like the 73' Malibu 4drs a little.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, that LeMans IS rare! I was not crazy about the '73 LeMans in general; my eyes didn't like the pointy rear end nor the dash. However, I DID always like the '73 Luxury LeMans Coupe...a luxury model WITH the fastback roof and large triangular quarter windows! Seems like in '74 and later, that roofline (which I always liked...GREAT visibility inside!) only got teamed up with low-level models with plain interiors. Never liked that fastback roofline with the tiny "opera" windows and huge blind spot that you started seeing in '74 and later.

Bill P. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

I am not sure, but I think on those that had hte option, it was the passenger side of the dash and the forward part on the driverside toward the windshield. Not too many had the option. I found this 63' Bel-Air wagon with the padded dash option, which was pretty rare on the Bel-Air. As you can see, the 63' Chevrolets had a different dash than the 62s.

That really is a neat car you seen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldsfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I don't really recall. Tempted to say not. Not exactly sure what should be padded on a '62. I'm pretty sure the Guide-Matic was mounted to metal on the dash.

Paul </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

Well, the lady with the local 72' Caprice wagon finally called me over and invited me over to look at the car and make an evaluation. She said she would like to get $5000. for it, but I am thinking of offering her $4K, as $5K is out of my league. The car has some rust around the rear wheels and spare tire well, but nothing that cannot be fixed pretty easily. The interior is excellent, as is the woodgrain, which is unusual. We can thank that rust to a leaky back window.

Anyway, after 7 years of wondering how it was optioned, I finally found out today.... here are the options... the first one I was pretty sure it had - or at least hoping.... OPTIONS: 402 V8 engine, 3rd seat, A/C, tilt steering wheel, power tailgate (standard power tailgate window), AM radio, luggage rack, tinted windows, custom wheel covers. I was hoping that it was loaded to the max, which would have also been cruise, power seat, power windows, power locks, auto-climate control, but the lack of those things are less things to break I guess. smile.gif

If I do talk her into selling for $4K and I get it home, I will post photos. The back window is open and will not close, so I will have to look into that ASAP.

Guest Shaffer

To update - she initially declined my $4K offer and said she wanted $5K. After a few days, she called me and said she would sell it to me for $4K, if I let her son have the "deluxe" wheelcovers for her sons Corvette- which he wanted for years. I am surprised that he did not get the 402 out of it. wink.gif Fine with me, because I already have a set of those hubcaps that I had on my 69' Caprice sedan. smile.gif

Anyway, I am supposed to have it brought home tomorrow evening after work... since it has set for about 5-6 years, I do not want to drive it home... the brakes need repair anyway.

Photos tomorrow.

Guest Shaffer

As promised.. here are the photos of my newly acquired 72' Caprice Estate wagon. Restoration is already underway. Funny, but the color is very much the same as my old 72' Electra and my current Grand Ville.

Sorry for the delay in my photos... seems like the forum has been a little slow lately anyway.

Sorry, these are not the best, but I am going to get her out of the garage tomorrow, clean her up really good, put on new tires and take a few more photos....

100_6384-1.jpg

100_6216.jpg

100_6263.jpg

100_6312.jpg

100_6230.jpg

100_6226.jpg

100_6412.jpg

100_5957.jpg

100_5990.jpg

100_6142.jpg

100_6443.jpg

100_6439.jpg

100_6445.jpg

100_6422.jpg

100_6430.jpg

I have since installed the matching hubcap since this photo was taken.. as you can see, the rear window will not close... she said she opened it little by little, thinking it would "catch" and close, but it never did... ??

100_6369.jpg

Ya know, before I found out she was going to sell this to me, I almost had bought a nice 73' Buick Estate Wagon - 3-seat in VGC... I could have bought it for $1700 + $900 shipping. I really liked it, but it did not have the woodgrain option, which I really wanted. Heck, I was going to add it myself if I got it. smile.gif

Guest 63Stude

That's a pretty darn nice Kingswood Estate, Shaffer! I was always fond of that '72-only color...I believe it was called "Golden Brown".

Nice wheel covers...did she change her mind and include them with the car after all?

That black vinyl interior is what was used as standard equipment in Kingswood and Kingswood Estate wagons, and Impala convertibles, and was optional at slight extra cost on all other Impala body styles. Very rich and durable-looking. I always thought it was richer-looking than the Pontiac Catalina vinyl interior of the same year, but right up there with the Catalina Brougham and Bonneville vinyl seat trims that year.

One nice thing about your car having black interior...since big Chevy instrument clusters and steering wheels were always black that year, your interior is "color-keyed"!

Bill P.

I guess this 72 Electra thread is going to be a Chevy thread. Maybe it can be taken somewhere besides the BCA General Forum. I know that some guys have other cars besides Buicks but this thread has been pretty steadily about Chevys, Olds and not much about the Buick part.

Just my opinion since I really do not care about Chevys.

Stevo

Guest Shaffer

Thanks Bill. I was wondering what that color was... thanks for confirming. I had went to that auto body paint website and looked @ the colors and thought it was golden brown, but was not sure.

No, she actually took the wheelcovers.. it was me that actually removed them. frown.gif I actually already had a set identical to them that I took off of my 69' Caprice, so that was not a big deal.

Yeah, I really like the interior. I still find it strange that they did not "set apart" the interior much in the Impala wagon, versus the Caprice wagon. I do know that the Kingswood Estate has the Caprice emblem on the door panel and I do not think that the Impala wagon has the woodgrain accents on the driverside part of the dash like the Caprice wagon did - at least on the 72 models. I think the Impala had it on the passenger side only. Also strange that on the dash of the Kingswood Estate wagon, it says "Kingswood" and the Kingswood wagon says "Impala". (If I recall correctly). The Caprice Kingswood Estate also has "Kingswood" on the steering wheel hub, vs. Impala on the Impala Kingswood wagon.

I agree- I think that this interior is up to about par with the Catalina Brougham of the same yearand in some cases even the base LeSabre with the standard interior. I remember that "plain-jane" 72' Buick Estate Wagon had a pretty basic interior. It did not even have the color-keyed seat belts. Also, I do not recall seeing any woodgrain trim on the doors of the base 71-72 Buick Estate Wagons - except that the "Estate Wagon" emblem on the door has a little woodgrain I think. Speaking of Buick wagons.. check out this 72' that WAS on ebay. He said ALL options, but as we know, it lacks some... some that I noticed it lacks are- cornering lights, light monitors, trip odometer, fingertip wiper control, speed alert and road wheels. Auction ended early. I hate it when that happens. If you note the seats, even on this wagon, they seem to be a bit more "plain" vs. even the Impala wagon of the same year. Look at the sales brochure though... I love the upgraded interior on the Estate Wagons. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-LOA...sspagenameZWDVW

LOL - I was thinking the same thing about the color-keyed part Bill! You know how much the black wheels/columns in the 71-72s bothered me. laugh.gif I was thinking too that since my interior is black, it matches the wheel/column!

Ya know, I later found out that the 71-72 Oldsmobile Toronados all also had a black wheel/column regardless of interior color. Not sure if I mentioned that before or not. Ford Torino was the same way too. shocked.gif

Thanks again for that info Bill!

Stevo... I mentioned a Buick in this thread.... better now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a pretty darn nice Kingswood Estate, Shaffer! I was always fond of that '72-only color...I believe it was called "Golden Brown".

Nice wheel covers...did she change her mind and include them with the car after all?

That black vinyl interior is what was used as standard equipment in Kingswood and Kingswood Estate wagons, and Impala convertibles, and was optional at slight extra cost on all other Impala body styles. Very rich and durable-looking. I always thought it was richer-looking than the Pontiac Catalina vinyl interior of the same year, but right up there with the Catalina Brougham and Bonneville vinyl seat trims that year.

One nice thing about your car having black interior...since big Chevy instrument clusters and steering wheels were always black that year, your interior is "color-keyed"!

Bill P. </div></div>

The fact of the matter is that the thread was entitled 72 Electra, started by you. Just because you started it does not mean that it is appropriate to change and talk about (for a long time) a different marque. To bring up other cars from time to time is what it is all about but to dwell on a Chev on the Buick site should not be and maybe you should have taken it to the Chev site.

I have in the past owned a Chevy (72 Impala), Olds (66 Toro) 73 Regency, 77 Toro, 78 Regency), Buicks (80 Park Avenue, 86 Park Avenue, 95 Riviera, 97 Park Avenue) Cadillacs.

Just because you have been on the forum longer than I, does not mean that what you do is correct and what I do is wrong. There are titles to the different parts of the forum to which any individual with common sense could figure out what type of vehicle should be discussed. Because you have been on this particular thread for a long time does not mean that you own it and it does not mean that I own it. Common courtesy would dictate that the thread started with a discussion of a 72 Electra and that with very little digression, it should remain that way or let it die and start a new thread and name it Chev, Olds, Tundra or whatever but keep it where it belongs.

That is all I am going to say about this matter.

Stevo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaffer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking of Buick wagons.. check out this 72' that WAS on ebay. He said ALL options, but as we know, it lacks some... some that I noticed it lacks are- cornering lights, light monitors, trip odometer, fingertip wiper control, speed alert and road wheels. Auction ended early. I hate it when that happens. If you note the seats, even on this wagon, they seem to be a bit more "plain"

I love the upgraded interior on the Estate Wagons. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-LOA...sspagenameZWDVW

</div></div>

Was lucky to find my Wagon had the upgraded interior:

eBay:

getphprd9.jpg

My Wagon:

dsc05710cu4.jpg

My Wagon came with (after market (?)) sun shades (correct name?)which I had never seen before: aluminium roster. Except for the windshield and tailgate window, every window has one. The one on the drivers side (standing on the 3rd seat in photo)lacks a corner (adjusting mirror??, better view in mirror ??? ):

It looks like they were specialy made for clamshell wagons: the shades follow the rear glass perfectly:

dsc05712za2.jpg

dsc05711bx8.jpg

And what I really like is the luggage cover on top:

dsc05715jd0.jpg

Guest Shaffer

Rob, your wagon is stunning! I really like that upgraded interior much better on the Buick wagons. The base interior looks to plain for my tastes in the Buick wagon. Like I mentioned before, I think it looks even plainer than that in the Impala wagon (of the same years) in some ways.

Do you have more photos of your wagon posted somewhere? I would love to see more of it. That roof cover is really neat. I bet that was a very rare option. Whats that on the rear window? I see a "General Motors" sticker or something. Was that factory?

BTW - I got your message on the wagon forum.. thanks for that info... I just skimmed over it, as I was heading out to work this AM, but am going to read it in detail later.

Guest Shaffer

Well, it finally popped up on ebay... that "plain-jane" 72' Buick Estate Wagon....

Looks like it has side moldings, bumper strips and the road wheels, but that looks to be it. Says the rear gate is power, but I think he is referring to the power rear gate window. NO A/C, NO 3rd seat, NO woodgrain, NO roof rack, NO tilt, NO cruise, NO etc. You get the picture.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-buic...1QQcmdZViewItem

I do not recall seeing such a low optioned early 70s Buick wagon..... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-buic...1QQcmdZViewItem

That "plane Jane"-Buick Estate Wagon is from a v8buick.com board member ("kenny")

I do not have more photos (yet) to share on the i-net (besides the car domain ones)... there certainly will be a homepage in the future, but first I have to spent more time on the Rivieras and (organizing)the Riviera meeting (in less than 2 weeks from now). Probably the Wagon will have it's own part on that meeting: it will tow the 73 Riviera. The wife will take the 75 Riviera:

Rivierameet2007_003.jpg

I removed quite a few stickers from the Wagon and added a few which, IMHO, more or less belonged to the car :

dsc05720ih2.jpg

dsc05718mn7.jpg

dsc05717cg8.jpg

At least with the last few replies we're back on track with "Electras" ... in fact the Estate Wagons shared the same trim with the Electra (4 port holes etc) smile.gif

Guest Shaffer

Oh really? I think the "plain-jane" wagon is really neat. Do not see many like that. Neat to see a Buick fan owns it. Hopefully it will find a good home.

Yeah, since the thread is titled, Electra, we have the throw a Buick in here from time to time. laugh.gif Glad we finally had a chance to speak of another. It had been a few days ya know - after all of those three posts about Chevrolets and Oldsmobiles that I had found oddly optioned. wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 75RivGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That "plane Jane"-Buick Estate Wagon is from a v8buick.com board member ("kenny")

I do not have more photos (yet) to share on the i-net (besides the car domain ones)... there certainly will be a homepage in the future, but first I have to spent more time on the Rivieras and (organizing)the Riviera meeting (in less than 2 weeks from now). Probably the Wagon will have it's own part on that meeting: it will tow the 73 Riviera. The wife will take the 75 Riviera:

I removed quite a few stickers from the Wagon and added a few which, IMHO, more or less belonged to the car :

At least with the last few replies we're back on track with "Electras" ... in fact the Estate Wagons shared the same trim with the Electra (4 port holes etc) smile.gif </div></div>