1972 Electra - another oddly equipped

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

Here is a very nicely optioned 75' Buick Estate Wagon... woodgrain and 3rd seat.... it is listed for sale on a derby site! I would hate to see it crashed! Someone save it!

Here is the ad:

"This wagon is complete with 455 motor and trans. It runs and drives but has motor noise. Nice wagon to derby or lots of good parts to use on a driver. It has no title and no way to get one. It is a 9 passenger. Only real rust is in back floors where your feet would go. The frame is in good shape as is the rest of the car. $1300 cash, car is in southern Indiana (Hardinsburg) 812-620-1834"

271070212.jpg

271070215.jpg

271070216.jpg

271070217.jpg

I had a 76 like that. Man that car was like driving your living room. It would pass anything but a gas station. It had the little light on the gas guage that would go on when you were at a point where you better be coasting into a gas station. I was involved in 2 accidents within 5 minute of each other in icy conditions in Rochester N.Y. years ago and still drove it home. Had it up and running the next day. Man what a beast of a car. Don't see to many of them any more. That wagon site was mostly 21st century stuff. I did not see anything old. Years ago in the late 60's and early 70's I lived in Hawthorne Calif. and around the corner of Imperial hwy and Hawthorne Blvd. there was a used car dealer called "Wagons Ho" or "Wagons West" something like that, they sold nothing but wagons. If they took a car in on trade that was not a wagon it was wholesaled out to another dealer. I used to walk past that a lot and look at row upon row of wagons. Boy to see that today.

Guest Shaffer

Wow, I bet that was a sight... all of those wagons... back then, probably like new too or close to it!

Yeah, I just found out this evening that the Buick wagon I posted above was sold... it will likely be crashed in a demo derby. Oh well. frown.gif

Someone on the wagon site made a note about something that I did not even notice.... note the water hose and the car is the only thing wet....said they were probably trying to make it look even better. Still would have been nice to see it fixed up. Do not see many of the 75' Buick wagons these days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Years ago in the late 60's and early 70's I lived in Hawthorne Calif. and around the corner of Imperial hwy and Hawthorne Blvd. there was a used car dealer called "Wagons Ho" or "Wagons West" something like that, they sold nothing but wagons. If they took a car in on trade that was not a wagon it was wholesaled out to another dealer. I used to walk past that a lot and look at row upon row of wagons. Boy to see that today. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

Question - this is mainly for you guys more familiar with the 72' LeSabres. I was browsing ebay and ran across this 72 LeSabre 4dr hardtop. I noticed something strange about the door panels. The very upper part of them, on this particular car appears to be a hard plastic. I thought they had padded vinyl and have never noticed this before. Is it possible that this is an aftermarket panel that was added to protect the panel underneath?

Another interesting note... this base car has A/C, AM radio (which is not so odd), but the power seat is I think. Looking at the engine, I doubt its 31K actual, but who knows?

Here it is....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-BUIC...1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest 63Stude

While I've never noticed a top of door panel on a Buick like that before, the color and cut makes me think it's factory...like the hard-plastic tops of the door panels of Chevy Biscaynes and BelAirs of the same year. It looks odd to me to see the area at the bottom of the door panel where the upper models would have carpeting, too...but again, I bet the top is original.

Bill P.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks Rob for posting the photo from the auction!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 75RivGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">before the photo is no longer available from eBay:

</div></div>

Guest Shaffer

I have never even noticed them on any GM car before Bill. I did not know they were used on the 71-72 Biscaynes. I remember that one that was on here a few weeks ago, but since it had black interior- I guess it was not showing.

Seeing this plastic panel on the door of this LeSabre still does not seem as odd as that manual shift 71' LeSabre we were discussing before... I would still have loved to seen photos of that cars interior.

I think that cover would be a nice touch if the padded vinyl was underneath - if it was acting like a protector for that area. As it looks there- it looks "cheap" so to speak and would seem so if there was nothing underneath that.

Yeah, that lack of carpeting on the bottom of that door seems strange. Am I correct in saying that the 71-7? base LeSabres (and base Estate Wagons) were the only full-size Buicks lacking that? I think the LeSabre Custom added lower door carpeting (loop carpeting), which was also on the base Electra (and upgraded Estate Wagon) and Electra Custom added cut-pile carpeting on the lower doors and floors. This LeSabre was obviously the base model... note the 2-spoke hard plastic steering wheel. Like I have mentioned before, Buick lingered on with this steering wheel on into 1973 (as did Pontiac) on the base LeSabres and Catalinas, but Chevrolet changed over to custom cushioned in 1973... even on the base Bel-Air. Strange indeed.

Thats one thing I still find strange about the Chevy wagons of that era (dare I say Chevy or Olds here? :o), that the Caprice wagon did not have lower door carpeting, but the Caprice coupe and sedan did. I have considered getting some aftermarket black loop carpeting, cutting it to fit and glue to the doors on my wagon, but that would take away from the originality of it, so I think I will not do that.... not yet anyway. wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I've never noticed a top of door panel on a Buick like that before, the color and cut makes me think it's factory...like the hard-plastic tops of the door panels of Chevy Biscaynes and BelAirs of the same year. It looks odd to me to see the area at the bottom of the door panel where the upper models would have carpeting, too...but again, I bet the top is original.

Bill P. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

WOW, that is an unusual car! Thanks for posting it Bill. Too bad they did not show more of the dash area. I have heard that some 65' Caprices had manual shift, but I have personally never seen one. Even though its not seen, it also mentions it has an AM-FM radio- which is rare for a 65' model car. Grandpas old 65' Lincoln had AM-FM and I thought even that was odd. smile.gif Other than seeing Caprices with floor shift 4-speeds (which I have seen some of), the ONLY other Caprice I have seen with a 3-speed manual shift was that 71' Caprice 4dr I mentioned before. I do not know if you recall me talking about that one or not.. that was a few years ago... now that was an odd one. It was on ebay. What made it even more odd is that it had power windows, power door locks, power seat and more - and that 3-speed manual shift! It was so strange looking.

I think you are right... I think I have seen some Buicks of that era about that same color before... not many though... it says this Chevy is "evening orchid"? I am not really wild about that color, but its unique. I love the 65' Caprices, but like that blue color better (see attachment).

Bill lol about that opening statement. - I would not worry about mentioning any other car make on this board or thread.... I think thats one thing that makes this thread so neat.... there is alot of info on here about alot of different older cars and their options and oddly optioned cars of years past and while they are not all about 72' Electras, I think thats fine too. This thread has been here for years - many years and has discussed many makes and models since it began and it has never been an issue- until recently- but I am just ignoring that.

Threads stray away from the main topic at hand all of the time... especially one this long-lived. It was not meant to be about Electras only... it started out that way, then we gradually went on discussing other cars.... everyone here knew that... they kept reading and contributing.

I know that the 72' Electras are neat - I loved mine, but there are many other cars out there too so oddly optioned.... too bad that not everyone finds this interesting as well... no matter the make of car. It soon started comparing other GM cars of that era, then more cars. Instead of making another topic, we just kept adding here and then it was a popular thread. If I had of known it would have flourished into other makes, I would have said "72' Electra, another oddly equipped - and other oddly optioned cars too". That was my mistake I guess.

You have had many great replies/posts with alot of interesting and helpful info, about MANY makes and I hope you always feel free to continue to post about them...whether they are Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Mopars, Fords (even Pintos - which we have discussed before), or even Toyota Tundras or Subarus! laugh.gif

Thanks again for sharing that!

OH- added this.. I thought you would like this one.. you may have already seen it... a little rough around the edges, but here is a 72' Caprice 4dr... power door locks, power seat and manual windows.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-chev...1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is another... not really unusual, but NICE!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAME-OWNE...1QQcmdZViewItem

(note rear seat speaker... fairly unusual for the Impala?)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shaffer, while putting myself at the risk of raising ire on this board, isn't this an unusual full-size GM car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-Purp...tem320147766233

First-year model, one-year only color, and a 3-speed!

Did Buick offer a similar color in '65? I bet they did. Pontiac called this color "Iris Mist".

Bill P. </div></div>

post-30933-143137945387_thumb.jpg

Guest Shaffer

Bill (talking about a Chevy again), this one in comparison with my old 69' Caprice really got my attention.... my car had power disc brakes, vinyl top, power windows and power locks, which this car lacks.... however, this car on ebay has bumper gaurds, speed alert and rear defog... options my car lacked..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170141723025&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:us

Guest Shaffer

Hey Bill... this question is for you..... I think you have mentioned that it was you o your father that worked at a Chevrolet dealer back in the early 70s?

Well, I got my second copy (misplaced #1) copy of the 1972 Chevrolet station wagon sales brochure. I never knew, nor do I recall it in my other brochure, that the Caprice wagon in 72' had an option where you could get a custom brocade cloth seating. I thought they ALL had vinyl interior. I have never seen ANY other 71-76 GM wagon with cloth interior, so I found this very interesting. I would love to have that interior option in my wagon.... the blue wagon pictured in the brochure is stunning. Now I am wondering that if with that option, was the 3rd seat also cloth? Have you ever seen a 72' Caprice wagon with the brocade option when you were there, or ever seen one before with that option? I am also wondering if it was a "72 only" option... I have never seen a 73' Caprice wagon with it either - even in 73' the Caprice sedan did not have brocade cloth.. most GM cars by 73' had switched away from brocade pattern and had larger patterns...

I need to dig out my old 73' Chevy wagon brochure. In addition, I am wondering if the Buick Estates, Grand Safaris or Custom Cruisers ever offered a brocade cloth interior. It has sure left me puzzled and looking for more info.. you know me. laugh.gif

Also on that page, I found out that the 72' Kingswood Estate wagons had what they called a "translucent" woodgrain vinyl that kinda lets some of the cars color "hue" through. I went out and did indeed notice this on my 72' but sure that a different color than brown would be more noticable. It sounded as if it was a "new for 72'" option. I am wondering if it lingered into 73'. I have not noticed any transparency on the 73-76 models, or the 71s. I know that transparent vinyl would be impossible to replace/find.

Thanks for any info you may be able to shed on this subject. If needed/wanted, I can take a photo of that page and post it so you can see what I am talking about.

Thanks again!

Guest 63Stude

Shaffer, I definitely remember the 'translucent' woodgrain panels being noted on '71 and '72 Kingswood Estate wagons, and I believed the woodgrain did look different, based on the exterior color of the car. I sort-of assume it would be the same for '73-'76 but can't say I remember it being touted as it was in '71 and '72.

I believe that "brocade" interior is basically just the Impala cloth interior, available on the wagon. It had a rich pattern, although it was still the Impala seat trim (actually pretty nice for '72, just no center armrest or anything!) I've never seen a real '72 wagon with it, though.

My Dad didn't work at a Chevy dealer, but I about lived at our local dealer during the '70's (hey, wasn't into sports, what else was a teenager supposed to do?!) I pored over every detail of the sales brochures, and much of that stuff is still seared into my consciousness!

Bill P.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks Bill for that info! I personally had never seen one of those wagons with that cloth interior either. I bet it was a super rare option. As mentioned, I have never seen ANY other 71-76 GM wagon with cloth interior, which is why I was amazed when I saw it listed as optional on the 72' Caprice wagon. The way the brochure mentions it- it was only available on the Caprice (Estate) wagons. From appearance, it does not look like the 73-76 wagons had it... the woodgrain looks lighter in color and I have not noticed that "hue". My favorite color would be that blue (which is the color on the car featuring the Caprice), with that "custom" brocade interior.... blue in color and loaded to the max. Also strange, it shows the Caprice wagon with standard Impala hubcaps... I thought the Caprice covers were standard... guess not. That was neat I thought. It actually shows a Caprice wagon with the Impala hubcaps.

That is wild about the woodgrain... I never knew that. I did not know the 71s had it as well. It was talking as if it was "new: for 72'... I will go back and re-read it. I do know that in the 69' Pontiac wagon sales brochure it mentions that back woodgrain panel serves as a reflector, which I thought was neat.

Well, gotta go, thanks again!

Guest Dan Cook

Just a word about odd things people would order in their Electras back in '72. You know I have mentioned the 72 2 Door Limited I have. With this car with most of the options offered at the time, why would anyone just have an AM radio?

Guest Shaffer

Yeah, that is odd. My 72' Electra had an aftermarket radio, so I never knew if it had AM or AM-FM originally.

I have a 73' Pontiac Grand Ville, which as you know was the top of the line Pontiac for 73'. Its fairly high optioned as well, but also only has an AM radio. I think that FM radios were mainly only ordered on cars back then in very large cities, where FM was more common back then. Thats my guess.... ?? Do you know where your Electra was sold new at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Cook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a word about odd things people would order in their Electras back in '72. You know I have mentioned the 72 2 Door Limited I have. With this car with most of the options offered at the time, why would anyone just have an AM radio? </div></div>

Guest Dan Cook

You might be right. I hadn't thought about that before.

The car was bought in Grants Pass, Oregon. I can remember that at the time Grants Pass wasn't much of a city. I used to get gas there occasionally while driving from San Diego to Bremerton, Wash. when on leave in the Navy. Now Grants Pass is an upper crust retirement city with some of the old stars like Jack Elam and Kim Novak. Anyway it must at least had a Buick dealership since the lady that bought it new lived in Klamath Falls, Ore. That is about 120 miles one way. Klamath Falls is a growing city but they still have signs posted, No Horses Allowed On Sidewalks. At least they have FM stations now.

Guest Shaffer

LOL. Yeah, thats all I can figure. Back then, for the most part, "towns" were smaller back then than they are now- and now, of course, FM is widespread, no matter the location. I was still able to pick up alot of AM stations on my Grand Ville's radio, until it conked out a few weeks ago. It just stopped working. I can hear the speaker "click" when I turn the radio on, but thats it. I know where there is a local parts car - a 73' Pontiac Bonneville 4dr sedan with the factory AM-FM unit that I have been thinking of getting and installing into my car.

Getting back with the "oddly optioned" 72' Electras - here is one on ebay that I will post photos of... its the top of the line "Limited" model, but does not have cornering lights, light monitors, bumper gaurds and what I think is most unusual is the lack of tilt wheel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clear-Tit...1QQcmdZViewItem

7995_1.JPG

09be_1.JPG

Guest 63Stude

Shaffer, if that brochure shows a '72 Kingswood Estate wagon with Impala's full wheel covers, it's a goof! Kingswood Estates came standard with the Caprice's wheel covers, which were a flatter style (not "coned" out in the center like Impala's)--and had many concentric rings around the center, all the way to the outside.

I found in the back of my office closet tonight, the '73 Chevy Showroom album given me by a salesman at the end of the '73 run. In '73 Chevy reverted to calling their wagons by the regular series name (BelAir, Impala, Caprice Estate). There is no mention at all of the "transluscent" woodgrain panels, just "Wood-grained vinyl body side and tailgate panels" for the Caprice Estate, and no mention of cloth trim avilable (just "Luxurious all-vinyl interior trim").

I do remember seeing a '76 Impala wagon with the plaid Impala cloth interior trim. It was a light or white-based plaid cloth, with surrounding vinyl high-wear areas in a bright red. I'm not certain about this, but I know in '75 the Caprice convertible could be had with the Impala's cloth "herringbone" pattern seat trim...I wouldn't be surprised if the wagons could, too. Caprice convertibles AND wagons always had the Impala's seat and door panel trim up to and including the '76 model year (well, except for the "Impala" little chromed animal on the door panels, that is!)

Bill P.

Thanks Bill. That is what I was thinking too about the Impala hubcaps. It is one of those "printed" photos of the car and it definitely is supposed to be a Caprice wagon, but it clearly has the Impala wheelcovers. Even on the "options" page, it shows them. I will try to get photos of these pages and post here. On the actual pages that show the Caprice wagons, they all have the hubcap that the Caprice sedan has, which is the cover I have seen the most on the Caprice wagons.. the only other cover I have seen are the custom covers like mine has, which were also the ones on the Corvette. I think on the cover page, that Caprice wagon has the custom covers.

Wow, that album you mention you have must be amazing... I am assuming you are referring to that huge book that lists ALL features, has interior samples, color chips, etc? I would love to have one for any of the early 70s GM cars, but especially the 71-73 Chevrolets (any of those). I think I have one of those albums for the 77' Pontiacs.

Thanks for that additional woodgrain info. I was thinking too that by 73' that translucent feature had faded away... it just had a different look ya know? I also do not recall seeing a 73' with cloth interior either.

Since you mentioned that, I too faintly remember seeing a 75-76 Impala wagon on ebay years ago with some sort of cloth interior and it was that plaid type and now I am remembering that not too long ago someone on a derby site had a 76' Caprice wagon, with a similiar interior. It was like green, white and black checked. shocked.gif Then there was a 75-76 Pontiac Safari wagon on there with a all-cloth interior... nothing fancy, but it was original.. it looked like Catalina seats. I guess I should have said I had never seen an early 70s GM wagon with cloth. smile.gif I had forgot all about those. I can say for sure that I have never seen one with that brocade cloth interior, not even on the 72' Caprice which was mentioned it was optional on... I wonder if this was the only GM "clamshell" wagon that was offered with brocade cloth? I am also wondering if on cars that had it, was the 3rd seat also cloth? I imagine it was a very rare option, because like I said, I had never seen a 72' Caprice wagon with that brocade cloth option. I really wish mine had it, but then it would probably be worn... this vinyl seems to really hold up well.

I had been thinking of someday, maybe buying some black loop carpeting (to match that of my floor carpeting), cutting it to shape and putting it on the lower door panels on my car. I stil find it strange that they did not at least put this on the Caprice wagon to kinda set it apart from the Impala wagon.

Thanks again!

So we have a Buick wagon in the conversation, I thought I would mention this stunning Estate Wagon... you may have seen it.... highly optioned 73', but it does not have the 3rd seat... only a 2-seater.

http://i17.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/b3/3b/88ec_3.JPG

http://i22.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/b3/3b/8def_3.JPG

http://i19.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/b3/3b/89c7_3.JPG

http://i5.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/b3/3b/8efe_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Buic...1QQcmdZViewItem

This car really needs some white wall tires! Seems like most of the 73' Estate Wagons were green..... some blue, but I have seen alot of green ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shaffer, if that brochure shows a '72 Kingswood Estate wagon with Impala's full wheel covers, it's a goof! Kingswood Estates came standard with the Caprice's wheel covers, which were a flatter style (not "coned" out in the center like Impala's)--and had many concentric rings around the center, all the way to the outside.

I found in the back of my office closet tonight, the '73 Chevy Showroom album given me by a salesman at the end of the '73 run. In '73 Chevy reverted to calling their wagons by the regular series name (BelAir, Impala, Caprice Estate). There is no mention at all of the "transluscent" woodgrain panels, just "Wood-grained vinyl body side and tailgate panels" for the Caprice Estate, and no mention of cloth trim avilable (just "Luxurious all-vinyl interior trim").

I do remember seeing a '76 Impala wagon with the plaid Impala cloth interior trim. It was a light or white-based plaid cloth, with surrounding vinyl high-wear areas in a bright red. I'm not certain about this, but I know in '75 the Caprice convertible could be had with the Impala's cloth "herringbone" pattern seat trim...I wouldn't be surprised if the wagons could, too. Caprice convertibles AND wagons always had the Impala's seat and door panel trim up to and including the '76 model year (well, except for the "Impala" little chromed animal on the door panels, that is!)

Bill P. </div></div>

Bill... in addition to my above reply to your post, finally, here are those photos out of the brochure I promised to post.... there are a few...

Here is page 1... nothing unusual here... a nice red 72' Caprice wagon...

100_7159.jpg

Here is my favorite... love that color!

100_7160.jpg

The other trim lines below it... interestingly, the plain Biscayne Brookwood has an optional vinyl top...

100_7161.jpg

clamshell gate...

100_7163.jpg

Here is the brocade seat option page...

100_7164.jpg

100_7168.jpg

Now, here is the Caprice wagon, shown with Impala wheelcovers...

100_7173.jpg

100_7174.jpg

and the mention of it in text...

100_7185.jpg

100_7186.jpg

Cover page... this one has the deluxe hubcaps...

100_7175.jpg

100_7187.jpg

Finally, the mention of the translucent woodgrain... the way its worded, makes it sound like it was new for 72'... you can also get a better view of the Biscayne wagon w/vinyl top.

100_7179.jpg

This little brochure also has the other wagons in here... too many to post, but not in detail. It also mentions that the Malibu Concours Estate wagon also has translucent woodgrain.

Thanks again for that info!

Shaffer, I vaguely remember that wagon brochure for '72--mostly remember that they had the Sportvan in with the station wagons!

Those wheelcovers are Impala, Bel Air, and Biscayne full wheelcovers, and I don't believe a Kingswood Estate wagon ever left the factory with those wheel covers. The Caprice wheel covers were standard on the Kingswood Estate(as shown in the picture of the blue wagon).

That black cloth interior is straight out of the Impala. Notice it's artwork, not an actual car's interior. Cloth trim was a new concept for Chevy wagons that year. The Impala cloth seat trim in '72 was pretty darn nice, actually, and in black on a Kingswood Estate, you'd also have the color-keyed instrument cluster since the wheel and cluster were black in any color interior you got that year! I'd like a blue one with that black cloth interior. BTW, the blue appears darker in the photo than the actual color, which if I am remembering correctly was a light metallic blue.

I think that back then, some of the photos in Chevy sales brochures were airbrushed. I always remember the '72 Caprice Sport Sedan photo actually being a Coupe photo that was stretched and two rear doors added...you can tell by the shape of the rear quarter glass. Along those same lines, in the '70 Chevy accessories brochure, there is a mechanical drawing of a Monte Carlo convertible!

I think it's also rather comical that they show a Brookwood (Biscayne) wagon with the optional vinyl roof!

Bill P.

LOL, yeah, that van is pretty neat! There was one for sale here locally for $2500 in EC!

Yeah, that is definitely a misprint on that photo of the Caprice wagon with the Impala hubcap photos. I actually have a set of those 71-72 Impala hubcaps here at the house that I got off of a 72' Impala 4dr sedan that was setting in a local junk yard about 7 years ago... I was getting parts for my old 71' Caprice, the Impala had the hubcaps on there (was a pretty nice car too), so I at least saved the hubcaps. laugh.gif I may stick them on my Caprice wagon and take a photo for the heck of it! laugh.gif

Also, I think I know that "air brushed" photo you mention of that Caprice. It really looks real enough, but you can tell that roofline is not a 4dr Caprice. If I recall, there was another like that somewhere in a early 70s brochure... not even sure if it was a Chevy I am thinking of, but I am pretty sure it is. I think I recall seeing a Buick airbrushed in a brochure that obviously had the wrong roofline. laugh.gif

That is a nice interior you mentioned that was the upgrade on the Impala... if I recall, it was much like the Caprice cloth interior (material wise), but the Caprice had the slightly different design on the upper parts of the seatbacks if I recall. Strange that on the Caprice wagon it was only offered in black. I agree with you 100%... I would love that blue wagon, with the brocade cloth interior and loaded to the max! I think that the 72' Impala 4dr sedan that I mentioned that belonged to my grandmothers cousin had the brocade cloth option and you are right - it was a very nice touch to the Impala interior... very upscale. Hers had A/C, cruise and vinyl top... not sure if it had tilt or not. It was dark green w/light green vinyl top.

Strange you mentioned that about the blue interior.... its sad in a way, because I love that shade of blue that you see there... that darker shade.. looks good in that photo! I personally have never seen a blue 71-74 Caprice wagon and the only 75-76 blue ones I have seen were light blue... almost sky blue. Not really wild about that color myself. I think it would have been neat had the Estate with the brocade option also had carpeted lower door panels and cut-pile carpeting. smile.gif

Here is another page I was going to list.. here are the mentioned colors on the 72' FS Chevy wagons... its a little fuzzy, but the blue colors it mentions looks like Fathom blue or Ascot blue... not sure which that wagon would fall under.. do you know which was the lighter color? I could check it out at that auto-color library.

100_7188.jpg

Yeah, I also found it very interesting that they showed the optional vinyl top on the plain-jane Biscayne wagon.... someone would opt for a vinyl top after buying the lowest $ wagon - with the lowest amount of trim. laugh.gif I am sure it was possible though... we sure have seen some oddly optioned early 70s GM cars havent we? laugh.gif

One thing I discovered on my wagon tonight... not sure if I mentioned, but it has the factory trailer towing option- which included the hitch, air shocks, HD brakes, etc. I noticed something inside my taillight lenses when I was checking my lights... I removed a lens and there are some factory looking wires that are running between the sockets and bulbs and the wires run out and have connectors on the end, as if the trailer wires hook to them. Not sure if they are part of the tow package, or if there was one seperate plug-in... sure looks factory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shaffer, I vaguely remember that wagon brochure for '72--mostly remember that they had the Sportvan in with the station wagons!

Those wheelcovers are Impala, Bel Air, and Biscayne full wheelcovers, and I don't believe a Kingswood Estate wagon ever left the factory with those wheel covers. The Caprice wheel covers were standard on the Kingswood Estate(as shown in the picture of the blue wagon).

That black cloth interior is straight out of the Impala. Notice it's artwork, not an actual car's interior. Cloth trim was a new concept for Chevy wagons that year. The Impala cloth seat trim in '72 was pretty darn nice, actually, and in black on a Kingswood Estate, you'd also have the color-keyed instrument cluster since the wheel and cluster were black in any color interior you got that year! I'd like a blue one with that black cloth interior. BTW, the blue appears darker in the photo than the actual color, which if I am remembering correctly was a light metallic blue.

Shaffer, I vaguely remember that wagon brochure for '72--mostly remember that they had the Sportvan in with the station wagons!

I think that back then, some of the photos in Chevy sales brochures were airbrushed. I always remember the '72 Caprice Sport Sedan photo actually being a Coupe photo that was stretched and two rear doors added...you can tell by the shape of the rear quarter glass. Along those same lines, in the '70 Chevy accessories brochure, there is a mechanical drawing of a Monte Carlo convertible!

I think it's also rather comical that they show a Brookwood (Biscayne) wagon with the optional vinyl roof!

Edit.. I found this link... I imagine you have this brochure... according to this, I understand that that cloth was standard in the Impala and the vinyl was optional?

http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Chev/1972/Full-Size/pages/Impala72_%20(06)_jpg.htm

Caprice interior...

http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Chev/1972/Full-Size/pages/Impala72_%20(05)_jpg.htm

I think the green Caprice at bottom left was the one you was referring to with the odd roofine??

http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Chev/1972/Full-Size/pages/Impala72_%20(02)_jpg.htm

Look at the green Bel-Air at bottom right... also - that roofline @ the door looks odd.

http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Chev/1972/Full-Size/pages/Impala72_%20(04)_jpg.htm

Bill P. </div></div>

Wow, that is a nice car. Makes me wish I had of bought that excellent 73' Buick Estate Wagon that was in Los Angeles for $1800. It was 100% rust free, in VGC! It was on ebay and only went to $1800.

The picture I remember, of a Caprice coupe made into a Sport Sedan, isn't in your grouping of photos. I'm wondering now if it might have been in a magazine ad or the single-sheet color photos Chevy gave out in dealerships at the time. It was a secondary car in the photo, off to the right and somewhat in the background.

I agree that Caprice sedan photo looks airbrushed. I think they took a photo of a Sport Sedan (hardtop) and made it into a (post) sedan. Remember that the Caprice 4-door Sedan wasn't available at the beginning of the '72 model year and hence this brochure you have is probably a second edition. The BelAir roofline looks goofy too but I can't figure out why.

I think '72 big Chevys were the best-looking, in and out, overall, of the '71-'76 Chevy lot, with that Caddy-like grille. But I hate how the BelAir has rocker moldings which weren't even optional on an Impala. You could option out a BelAir to have more moldings than available on an Impala! I love the Caprice side moldings, but when you got the optional bodyside moldings too, they were too close to the standard lower chrome molding...looked too jumbled to me.

That brocade cloth in black on the wagon...that is the same material as the standard Impala interior. All-vinyl was an option in all Impalas (except convertible and Kingswood wagons) for $19.00 if I remember correctly...I'm pretty certain of the amount.

Notice that by '72, they didn't even mention the Biscayne in the sales brochure...but the Brookwood wagon was mentioned in the wagon brochure. Biscayne must have only been in the fleet literature maybe.

The '73 Chevy sales album I have is about 8 1/2 by 11, and I had to put it in my own notebook as the dealer was going to reuse the binder, but it's complete. It has the color chips and the entire line. I also had the very large '71 album which I sold at Carlisle about ten years ago for $60--it sold in fifteen minutes and I probably could have gotten much more for it. It was a very nice book...lots and lots on the big Chevys and Vegas (since both were new that year).

Back to Buicks...that green Estate Wagon is beautiful. It's begging for whitewalls though, and I think Buick road wheels would be gorgeous on it! I'm a much bigger fan of the '73 green interiors by GM than the '71 and '72 which looked like pea soup! A friend's Dad had a beige '72 Buick Estate Wagon 3-seat with the wood panels and saddle Custom interior with center armrest. A real nice car...much nicer IMHO than another friend's Dad's '72 Chrysler Town and Country in the same color. I've heard the clamshell tailgates can be a real nightmare, but what a neat engineering feature. Very useful when they worked right, especially when trailering.

I wonder if the third-seat in the Chevy with the brocade cloth was cloth or vinyl, too...good question!

Bill P.

Oh.. the Ascot Blue was light blue metallic (what I believe the Kingswood Estate wagon photo is, although the photo appears darker), and the Fathom Blue is dark blue (although not-quite navy-blue dark).

Bill P.

Thanks Bill. I think you are right... I was thinking there was another photo with a strange roofline, but I did not see it here. You are right too - those pages I posted have a Jan. 72' printing date. I also agree with you about the 72' Caprice side trim... with the optional side moldings, it was too jumbled/cluttered with that wide side chrome trim. I find it strange that the Bel-Air had that wider strip at the bottom and the Caprice did not even have it. Very strange. I also find it odd about the standard 72' Impala interior... I always thought that the vinyl was standard and that cloth was optional... learned something new... strange, because vinyl seems standard in the Catalinas, Delta 88s and LeSabres that year? Heck, even seemed to be standard in the 72' Electras, Ninety-Eights and Grand Villes... but the Caprice had standard cloth (brocade) and now we (well I) that the Impala had standard cloth. Ya know, I was comparing that "base" 71' Electra wth the vinyl interior (with NO options) to a 71' Caprice and the Caprice in my opinion looked much more luxurious- even the trim.. it had more woodgrain, nicer looking seats - there was nothing on the inside in my opinion on the base 71-72 Electra that made it look superior/more expensive to the 71-72 Caprice.... probably still cheaper though.

Sounds like a nice album you have.... my favorite wagon is a 73' Caprice Estate in that gold / bronze color. I have only seen one on a old TV show that came out in 1973. It must have been a rare color.

I also love that green 73' Estate Wagon... looks like the 3rd seat is about the only option it lacks.

I can attest to the clamshell gates.... While my gate works perfectly, my power window has issues. I cannot get it to close... when I turn the switch to open, it will click (its all the way open), but when I turn to close, it does nothing. I have been on the derby site looking for a switch and may have found some. I hope thats all that is wrong.... now with my car I think I have a bigger problem... my power brake booster is leaking I think. frown.gif

About the 3rd seat in brocade.. we may never know... It was obviously very rare... I wonder if any still exist?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The picture I remember, of a Caprice coupe made into a Sport Sedan, isn't in your grouping of photos. I'm wondering now if it might have been in a magazine ad or the single-sheet color photos Chevy gave out in dealerships at the time. It was a secondary car in the photo, off to the right and somewhat in the background.

I agree that Caprice sedan photo looks airbrushed. I think they took a photo of a Sport Sedan (hardtop) and made it into a (post) sedan. Remember that the Caprice 4-door Sedan wasn't available at the beginning of the '72 model year and hence this brochure you have is probably a second edition. The BelAir roofline looks goofy too but I can't figure out why.

I think '72 big Chevys were the best-looking, in and out, overall, of the '71-'76 Chevy lot, with that Caddy-like grille. But I hate how the BelAir has rocker moldings which weren't even optional on an Impala. You could option out a BelAir to have more moldings than available on an Impala! I love the Caprice side moldings, but when you got the optional bodyside moldings too, they were too close to the standard lower chrome molding...looked too jumbled to me.

That brocade cloth in black on the wagon...that is the same material as the standard Impala interior. All-vinyl was an option in all Impalas (except convertible and Kingswood wagons) for $19.00 if I remember correctly...I'm pretty certain of the amount.

Notice that by '72, they didn't even mention the Biscayne in the sales brochure...but the Brookwood wagon was mentioned in the wagon brochure. Biscayne must have only been in the fleet literature maybe.

The '73 Chevy sales album I have is about 8 1/2 by 11, and I had to put it in my own notebook as the dealer was going to reuse the binder, but it's complete. It has the color chips and the entire line. I also had the very large '71 album which I sold at Carlisle about ten years ago for $60--it sold in fifteen minutes and I probably could have gotten much more for it. It was a very nice book...lots and lots on the big Chevys and Vegas (since both were new that year).

Back to Buicks...that green Estate Wagon is beautiful. It's begging for whitewalls though, and I think Buick road wheels would be gorgeous on it! I'm a much bigger fan of the '73 green interiors by GM than the '71 and '72 which looked like pea soup! A friend's Dad had a beige '72 Buick Estate Wagon 3-seat with the wood panels and saddle Custom interior with center armrest. A real nice car...much nicer IMHO than another friend's Dad's '72 Chrysler Town and Country in the same color. I've heard the clamshell tailgates can be a real nightmare, but what a neat engineering feature. Very useful when they worked right, especially when trailering.

I wonder if the third-seat in the Chevy with the brocade cloth was cloth or vinyl, too...good question!

Bill P. </div></div>

• 2 weeks later...

Bill... in addition to my above reply, here is another car I thought you would like to see. Finally I have got to see one of these as a "real" car, rather than a photo in a brochure. laugh.gif

Here is a 1972 Catalina Brougham 2dr hardtop... there were around 10545 of these made. This one is for sale on a derby site. shocked.gif Needs restoration for sure... looks like the inside needs a hose down! laugh.gif It appears to have an interior very much like the Bonneville (as we discussed before). This car looks to have A/C, AM radio, tilt wheel - I do not see much else in the photos. Has the CC steering wheel, which I think was standard on the Brougham. Note it does NOT have the color-keyed seat belts.

72catalinabrougham2-1.jpg

72catalinabrougham-1.jpg

72catbroughaminterior1.jpg

72catbroughaminterior2.jpg

72catbroughaminterior3.jpg

Guest sintid58

When I was first out of Vocational school I bought a 73 Kingswood wagon that had belonged to a school district. The car was not in real good shape but ran very well, but the time I had it I could never get the tailgate to work. It was pretty plain with a third seat and a/c with a 350 2bbl. I had been given some headers by a freind and had another freind that worked at an exhaust shop where they bent systems. One night we went there and put on the hearders and ran 3" pipes with thrush mufflers to the back bumpers and them put turn down on the end. That car really sounded great and we used to go to Sioux Falls cruising in it. We would get to a spot where no one could see us then floor it and make a lot of noise. Then we would coast by kids looking for the hot rod they expected to be coming down the street. I traded that wagon for a 74 Buick Estate wagon that was fully loaded. It was a very nice car but used a lot of oil. I had to carry oil with me just to go to Sioux Falls and back (100 miles round trip). I am pretty sure it was either a front or rear main seal leaking but for the little I had in the car I didn't mess with fixing it and ended up trading it for a 72 Plymouth Duster with a 340 in it. Should have kept both of the last 2.

Collectible Automobile's December, 2007 issue has shipped to subscribers, and it should begin appearing at newsstands in a couple of weeks.

This issue covers the 1971 - 1976 full-size Buicks, and this one continues in the same vein as the Chevrolet, Pontiac, and Cadillac articles that covered the same range of model years.

The article includes the magazine's trademark color photography, and cars belonging to at least three of our forum members here are included. The clamshell wagons are represented, and there are many photos of styling studies and mockups that led to the final 1971 design.

As always, it's a worthwhile read. Fans of Buicks and the early-1970's GM large cars will want to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

Bill... I have recently been offered ANOTHER 72' Kingswood Estate wagon (that is located about 3 hours northeast of me) for $2500 obo. I think I will pass on the car, despite being an even higher optioned car, with cruise, 454 engine, power tailgate, AM-FM radio w/dual rear speakers and I think he said it has power seat. However, I think it lacks tilt wheel, which mine has. I would love to have it, but I am out of room and really need to get a smaller daily driver for now. Besides, I know of another guy that lives up there that is a 72 Impala/Caprice fan (he has 5 72' Impalas) and think I may pass the info to him.

I think its the same color as the wagon in that brochure we were discussing. The brochure mentions Fathom blue and Ascot blue on these cars. I am not sure if these are the same color or which color is which. Someone has out what looks like 80s Chevy truck wheels on it, which would come off ASAP if it were mine.

Anyway, here are some photos of the car (missing woodgrain on RR quarter)... do you think its likely the same color as the one in the brochure (also pictured again!)... smile.gif Thanks!

blue72kingswood2.jpg

blue72kingswood1.jpg

blue72kingswood3.jpg

blue72kingswood4.jpg

blue72kingswood8.jpg

blue72kingswood2-1.jpg

100_7160.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'd like a blue one with that black cloth interior. BTW, the blue appears darker in the photo than the actual color, which if I am remembering correctly was a light metallic blue.

Bill P. </div></div>

Guest 63Stude

Yes, that car (the real one) is Ascot Blue. Too bad that didn't have the black cloth interior!

I did always think, though, that the '72 Impala/Kingswood/Kingswood Estate vinyl was very attractive and durable...probably as nice a vinyl interior design and material as anybody was offering in '72. If it had a front seat center armrest, it would have been really, really, nice!

Bill

Guest Shaffer

Thanks. It is a beautiful color on these. When I first saw the exterior of the car (the color), I was really pleased. Had it been optioned with that brocade cloth interior, I would have been up there so fast, you would not even seen me. LOL. laugh.gif

Yeah, I am pleased with the vinyl on these cars. It holds up well. Unless the car was from Arizona or something, most of the time the seats are still excellent on vinyl interior cars of that vintage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, that car (the real one) is Ascot Blue. Too bad that didn't have the black cloth interior!

I did always think, though, that the '72 Impala/Kingswood/Kingswood Estate vinyl was very attractive and durable...probably as nice a vinyl interior design and material as anybody was offering in '72. If it had a front seat center armrest, it would have been really, really, nice!

Bill </div></div>

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

Bill... here is another interesting car...

1973 Caprice 4dr sedan... high optioned - A/C, power windows, power locks, tilt, AM-FM radio, custom belts, etc. Exterior wise, it has the fairly unusual (for a Chevy) bumper strips and bumper gaurds, but it lacks vinyl top... its a nice car to say the least. I have always liked the "pillared sedans" GM made from 71-74.

201526_ffa9bacd-3fb8-44c0-93b4-79163580d8a1.jpg

201526_c2e1b49e-7e13-4463-9dc2-2fd3494f6d65.jpg

325_201526_0ac40860-19c5-4601-aa18-473b663302e0.jpg

201526_51cad00b-240d-4c41-bf0a-77bddb8ae04a.jpg

201526_51cad00b-240d-4c41-bf0a-77bddb8ae04a.jpg

325_201526_7017fb25-e037-485a-a526-263c9ec6d2c5.jpg

201526_af7cdd16-d4a3-49a4-b562-4b1a70e776ed.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Gree...1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest 63Stude

That is a nice Caprice. Incorrect wheel covers though...the ones on it are for an '80 to I believe '85 Caprice.

There is also a nice '71 Impala Sedan on eBay now, low-mileage, that great one-year only Turquoise color, black vinyl interior, and the optional wheel opening and bodyside moldings along with the standard wide rocker panel moldings. Most interesting '71 big-Chevy I've seen on eBay since the Impala Sport Coupe 3-speed six-cylinder car there last year.

Bill P.

Guest Shaffer

Yeah, I noticed those hubcaps too.... first thing. They do not look bad on there, but I would definitely put factory 73' Caprice covers on a car that nice.

Is this the 71' Impala you are referring to....? ( I cannot tell the colors apart smile.gif )

49e1_12.JPG

Or are you referring to this 72' Impala...

8001_1.JPG

There is a nice green 72' Impala 2dr on there now, with bumper strips, vinyl top, fender skirts, A/C, AM radio, and two options that you do not often see on the Impala of that year- tilt AND cruise. Did you see it? Here it is...

b234_1.JPG