1972 Electra - another oddly equipped

Guest Shaffer

Guest 63Stude

No, apparently the '71 Impala four-door sedan I saw on eBay is no longer on. I guess I was too lazy to post the link here..going forward I will make sure to do that!

It was a bone-stock looking '71 in a one-year only, medium-turquoise color. I've seen some of the Buick guys mention '71 LeSabres in the same color. For some reason, I think Chevy had the word "Sea" in their name for it. I only ever remember seeing one new Chevy at our local dealer in that color, a Bel Air sedan which they had for about the whole model year. It had been damaged in transit and I remember the dealer's bodyshop had left paint overspray on the front fender "BelAir" nameplate on the right side!

The Impala on eBay had an original black vinyl interior in excellent shape. As we've discussed before, on '71 and '72 Chevys, a black interior is nice as it gives you a color-keyed dash (since the dash bezels were black on all full-size Chevys that year!)

That green '72 Impala Custom Coupe you posted sure looks authentic. I was never a fan of that color, but it looks original and in the photo looks like it has that elegant '72 Impala seat trim in the beautiful light color ("Covert"). I wish '72 Impalas had a rocker panel molding. The '71's had a wide molding, and the '72's had none. Still, the '72's are probably my favorite big Chevy of the '71-'76 era, overall.

Bill P.

Guest Shaffer

Yeah, I think I remember Adam, aka, "Centurion" had a 71' LeSabre that was the color you mentioned. Its a very nice color if I recall. I would have liked to have seen that car... maybe it will be relisted someday.

I agree that 72' Impala is a nice car and it is a shame that the 72s did not have the wide rocker trim like the 71s had. As we know, even the 72' Caprice did not have it that low..it had that wide strip about 3/4 way down, which as we mentioned, looks cluttered with the optional side moldings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, apparently the '71 Impala four-door sedan I saw on eBay is no longer on. I guess I was too lazy to post the link here..going forward I will make sure to do that!

It was a bone-stock looking '71 in a one-year only, medium-turquoise color. I've seen some of the Buick guys mention '71 LeSabres in the same color. For some reason, I think Chevy had the word "Sea" in their name for it. I only ever remember seeing one new Chevy at our local dealer in that color, a Bel Air sedan which they had for about the whole model year. It had been damaged in transit and I remember the dealer's bodyshop had left paint overspray on the front fender "BelAir" nameplate on the right side!

The Impala on eBay had an original black vinyl interior in excellent shape. As we've discussed before, on '71 and '72 Chevys, a black interior is nice as it gives you a color-keyed dash (since the dash bezels were black on all full-size Chevys that year!)

That green '72 Impala Custom Coupe you posted sure looks authentic. I was never a fan of that color, but it looks original and in the photo looks like it has that elegant '72 Impala seat trim in the beautiful light color ("Covert"). I wish '72 Impalas had a rocker panel molding. The '71's had a wide molding, and the '72's had none. Still, the '72's are probably my favorite big Chevy of the '71-'76 era, overall.

Bill P. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

Here is a rare 71' Centurion 4dr hardtop thats about to "bite the dust".

Someone posted this on the "cleanest cars you have crashed" thread on the demo site, which I visit often to see the old cars posted and for sale. I had not been there in a few weeks and when I read the updated thread, I was a little disheartened to see someone post that they were going to crash (or dare I say, "derby") this 71' Centurion 4dr.... frown.gif. Note the lack of vinyl top.

71centurion2.jpg

71centurion1.jpg

Also, someone on there had posted this on another thread... 20% are telling him to crash it, the rest want it and telling him NOT to crash it. I only seen one before on ebay and I think this is it.... rare to say the least....

72eldorado.jpg

• 3 months later...
Guest Shaffer

Have not posted in this thread lately, because I have really not seen any unusual cars lately until this evening when I saw this interesting Electra on Ebay...

Its a 73' Buick Electra 4dr (base model) - <span style="font-weight: bold">no power windows, no power locks, no power seat, no vinyl top</span>, all-vinyl interior... I cannot tell if it has tilt or not - does not look like it has cruise either. Nice car though!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-BUIC...1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is one thats not a Buick, but an odd early 70s GM car... 1972 Impala 2dr - 454, 4-spd manual (very rare), A/C, AM-FM, bumper gaurds, fender skirts, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLASSIC-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest Shaffer

Wow - no, I did not notice that! Thanks for pointing it out. I do not recall seeing one without a front armrest and having a rear one.

Here are a couple of more ebay jewels that are really not all that rarely optioned, but not-often seen models...

1973 Chrysler Newport "Special Edition" (GOLD STICKER VALUE)... a very nice car! Check out those 70s colors and that orange shag carpeting!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/11K-Actua...1QQcmdZViewItem

1972 Cadillac Calais 4dr... I still find it so odd to see a Cadillac of this vintage with NO WOODGRAIN accents on the interior... even on the dash (note all of the black trim)... even the 72' Chevy Impala had some woodgrain accents on the instrument panel. smile.gif Nice car though!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-Cadi...bayphotohosting

** hey- notice that the Cadillac has front seat armrest, but no rear! Just the opposite of the 73' Electra! smile.gif

EDIT -

wanted to mention this as well... here is a 1973 Olds Toronado... I used to have a 71' years ago, but do not recall details. I find it strange that the top of the line Olds luxury coupe had loop carpeting, rather than cut-pile carpeting. I had never noticed this before. (This is also one of the unusual GM cars that offered a black only steering wheel/column, no matter the interior color. The only other FS GM that I know did that was 71-72 Chevrolets. Very nice car though!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Olds...1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest 63Stude

Shaffer, no full-size Chevys from '71 and later ever came available from the factory with a 4-speed. In mid-'71 the Turbo-Hydramatic became standard equipment on V8 big Chevys. This '72 was converted to four-speed. I am not even certain if you could get a 4-speed in a '70 big Chevy, but I do know that bucket seats were no longer offered in '70. Last big Chevy I ever saw with a 4-speed was a '69.

Bill P.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks Bill. Ya know I was thinking that afterwards after I posted that... I got to thinking how automatic was standard on the V8s in by mid 71, but did not know if it may have been a special order item in 72', but I doubt it? Probably no matter how much you paid them, you probably could not get that. Yeah, I have not seen a 4spd after 1969 either- so you are right. I do not recall seeing one in 1970. I bet this guy used the linkage out of an early 71' with the 3-speed on the column and put the shifter in the floor. ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Shaffer, no full-size Chevys from '71 and later ever came available from the factory with a 4-speed. In mid-'71 the Turbo-Hydramatic became standard equipment on V8 big Chevys. This '72 was converted to four-speed. I am not even certain if you could get a 4-speed in a '70 big Chevy, but I do know that bucket seats were no longer offered in '70. Last big Chevy I ever saw with a 4-speed was a '69.

Bill P. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

Here is a 73' Centurion that belongs to someone on the derby site that I frequent to try to save some cars. I posted this on the buy/sell forums. Hope someone saves it. Not too rare as far as options go, but you do not see many 4dr 73' Centurions these days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330216099508&ru=http://motors.search.ebay.com:80/330216099508_W0QQfromZR40QQfviZ1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

To update- the above car was sold.

Here is another interesting car- not a Buick- sorry, but a Pontiac. I am posting, because I do not recall ever seeing another GV this heavily optioned. It appears to have all options except bumper gaurds and side moldings. It looks to have power windows, power locks, cruise, tilt, auto-climate control A/C, cornering lights, power seat, custom interior option, door courtesy lights, gauge package, trip odometer, Pontiac wheels, etc. Someone has replaced one of the courtesy lights with another red lens... one is supposed to be white.. at least they are on my 73' GV.

Nice car, but the BIN price is quite steep @ $20K!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Pont...1QQcmdZViewItem

753e_12.JPG

e6df_12.JPG

ddce_12.JPG

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for sharing that Paul! That is a nice car! That interior looks almost untouched. Its not very often you seen a mid 60s Delta 88 with power windows and power seat. I also notice it has remote mirror and cornering lights- another rarity on the 66' Delta 88s I think. I have also always liked the instrument panel design on those cars. Someone got a great deal on that car!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldsfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's another interesting non-Buick (sorry folks!) - a '66 Delta 88 post sedan:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsmobil...sspagenameZWDVW

Paul </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldsfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It also has a Wonderbar radio, and I believe a rear window defogger (2 switches under the dash overhang). And, I think those are factory head rests.

Paul </div></div>

Ya know, I never even noticed the headrests! Those are rare for a 66'! I never noticed the radio either. I hope it got a good new home!

Guest Shaffer

Here is a nice 73' LeSabre (base model). I do not recall seeing this large woodgrain panel on the doors of the base LeSabres. Kinda seems out of place on this particular car with the lack of lower door carpeting, non-color keyed belts and loop carpeting. The car certainly does not lack woodgrain accents on the inside.;) I have also noticed it has the standard 2-spoke hard plastic steering wheel, which as I have mentioned before seems so strange on a 73' Buick, considering that even the entry-level 73' Chevrolet Bel-Air has a custom-cushioned steering wheel. Seems like a fairly low optioned car, with only A/C and AM radio as interior options. Outside is nice optioned with vinyl top, side trim, bumper gaurds/strips, etc. I just hope that this one does not even up in a derby either like the 73' Centurion....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Buic...1QQcmdZViewItem

DSC04723.jpg

DSC04720.jpg

Guest imported_65gs76limited

Tony,i'am surprised no one commented on the optional shifter knob on the Granville.You listed all the options but forgot this one.

Guest Shaffer

lol.. I never noticed it. Well, I did, but I did not realize that those knobs were optional. I just thought it was a knob someone stuck on there. laugh.gif Learn something new daily. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65gs76limited</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tony,i'am surprised no one commented on the optional shifter knob on the Grandville.You listed all the options but forgot this one. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

Do you know if that was the only year that shifter was offered?

Another non-Buick, but rare and worth mentioning. You do not see many of these... 1972 Cadillac Calais 4dr... Still seems so strange to see NO woodgrain accents inside a Cadillac... even if it was a base 1972 model. Are my eyes playing tricks, or does it have loop-pile carpeting, rather than cut-pile carpeting?

cad033.jpg

cad030.jpg

cad032.jpg

Still a nicely layed out interior... I love the instrumentation/instrument panel on the 1971-73 Cadillacs more than any other 71-73 GM car.

Guest 63Stude

Shaffer, I am 99.99% sure he's joshin' you on the shift knob option on that Grand Ville!

That is a beautiful Cadillac Calais. So similar to a deVille, it's true, but much, much rarer, and less money then and now. I can see why people bought them..."stepping up to a Cadillac" but still watching the budget. It's still a Cadillac, inside and out, despite no woodgrain!

I clearly remember a black '72 Calais sedan, new, at our local dealer's. It was only there a couple days. Solid black, black cloth, blackwalls, no air and NO RADIO! I remember as plain as day, the price, with no options but with destination added, was $6,480.00 at the bottom of the sticker. Even Calais models at that time came standard with power windows.

Bill P.

Guest Shaffer

smile.gif Shows how gullible I am huh? lol. I did not think that shift knob was optional, but I was thinking it was one of those "you learn something new everyday" things. laugh.gif

Yes, I agree about the Cadillac. I think it was neat that they made a "base" Cadillac back then and while I prefer the more "upscale" models, these I also like because they are so unique. I really cannot see how much more woodgrain would cost the company to place in those cars, but I guess it was enough to make the price difference attractive. Of course they also eliminated the vinyl top and some exterior chrome. One reason it seems so strange to me is even the 72' Impala had woodgrain dash accents (on the passenger side) and all the way across on the Caprice, but I guess there had to be some kind of cost cutting on the Calais to obviously make it cheaper. I also noticed for the first time- looks like the pedals lack chrome trim?

I remember now you mentioning the black/black 72' Calais before... It sounds like such an interesting car and one I would have loved to have seen! I have never seen one of these without A/C and I cannot picture what the heater controls would have looked like exactly on a non-A/C early 70s Cadillac. I guess much like any other GM car of that era... probably just the two slide levers and the blower motor switch. The black/black colors on that one you vividly remember even sounds nice. I am not sure about the carpeting, nor can I tell in that photo, but do you know if the Calais came with loop carpeting? In the Calais above, it looks like loop carpeting. I guess its possible. I know that I have seen some "base" 71-73 Electras with loop carpeting, rather than cut-pile carpeting which we see on the Electra Custom/Limiteds and DeVille/Fleetwoods. I was also wondering if it was loop carpeting, if cut-pile was optional, which is the way it was on the Pontiac Grand Villes. They had standard loop carpeting, but the "Custom" option added cut-pile carpeting. This took me forever to figure out when I bought my 73' Grand Ville with cut-pile carpets, because I was seeing some with loop carpeting and some with cut-pile carpeting. Seems like most of the 4dr Grand Villes had the cut-pile option. I cannot recall, but I think the Bonnevilles had loop carpeting. Never seen any 71-73 Caprice with cut-pile carpet, so it must not have even been optional on them, but I think they added cut-pile carpeting around 74-75 on the Caprice's.

That $6480 price was a good chunk of change for a "plain" car, but it was a Cadillac I suppose! smile.gif That seems about the price of a loaded Electra that year? If I am not mistaken, my old 72' Electra Custom (very nice optioned) was priced around $6100 if I recall to the paperwork.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shaffer, I am 99.99% sure he's joshin' you on the shift knob options on that Grand Ville!

That is a beautiful Cadillac Calais. So similar to a deVille, it's true, but much, much rarer, and less money then and now. I can see why people bought them..."stepping up to a Cadillac" but still watching the budget. It's still a Cadillac, inside and out, despite no woodgrain!

I clearly remember a black '72 Calais sedan, new, at our local dealer's. It was only there a couple days. Solid black, black cloth, blackwalls, no air and NO RADIO! I remember as plain as day, the price, with no options but with destination added, was $6,480.00 at the bottom of the sticker. Even Calais models at that time came standard with power windows.

Bill P. </div></div>

• 1 month later...
Guest Shaffer

Wow, now here is a nice and strange Buick!

1971 LeSabre Custom 4dr - VERY NICE!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-BUIC...1QQcmdZViewItem

NO tilt, power locks, cornering lights, side moldings, or cruise (to mention a few), but it DOES have power seat, trip odometer, speed alert, power windows, AM-FM radio, map lights, A/C, vinyl top, door edge gaurds, etc.

A super car to say the least!

Guest edalfa

Sweet car! Dad's 72 Estate Wagon had few options-no cornering,no power windows, no power locks, no tilt- I'm not even sure about power seats (but I think they were there!). My thinking is that a well optioned car didn't carry every option, just those that really contribute to the daily usefulness.Of course, certain dealers would load every possible option onto every car.

Ed

Guest Shaffer

I have seen a 1972 Buick Estate Wagon before with NO and I mean <span style="font-weight: bold">NO</span> options. It did not even have A/C or a radio! It was definitely one of the more rare examples. I think it was posted here awhile back. It was floating around for sale on the internet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edalfa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet car! Dad's 72 Estate Wagon had few options-no cornering,no power windows, no power locks, no tilt- I'm not even sure about power seats (but I think they were there!). My thinking is that a well optioned car didn't carry every option, just those that really contribute to the daily usefulness.Of course, certain dealers would load every possible option onto every car.

Ed </div></div>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Have not posted in awhile... thought it was getting old... lol, but here is another I ran across...

1973 LeSabre Custom sedan - NO A/C. Looks like the only interior option is AM radio. THis one is for sale in Pennsylvania.

429ad6.jpg

430kf7.jpg

No pictures to post, but thought I'd chime in on the issue: Recently stumbled on a '71 LeSabre 4dr hardtop at French Lake Auto Parts (a MN institution for junkyards...) This car was a beautiful rust-free Arizona car on its way to a Demo-derby. I managed to get all the stainless trim off of it before it's date with destiny, but it kinda made me cry to think of those gorgeous rust-free quarter panels getting smashed in, as I work on fabricating the rusted out quarters on my '71 convertible... Not much I could do though, as it was already sold. They let me have anything not-structural off of it. As for odd equipment, it had no cornering lamps, and no power windows or seats, but it DID have a clock, A/C, and speed-monitor. And an AM radio. Where as my convertible had A/C, an AM radio, and dealer-installed light monitors, but NO clock, no corner lamps, no power seats or windows... If only it had 3 on the tree.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaffer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a nice 73' LeSabre (base model). I do not recall seeing this large woodgrain panel on the doors of the base LeSabres. Kinda seems out of place on this particular car with the lack of lower door carpeting, non-color keyed belts and loop carpeting. The car certainly does not lack woodgrain accents on the inside.;) I have also noticed it has the standard 2-spoke hard plastic steering wheel, which as I have mentioned before seems so strange on a 73' Buick, considering that even the entry-level 73' Chevrolet Bel-Air has a custom-cushioned steering wheel. Seems like a fairly low optioned car, with only A/C and AM radio as interior options. Outside is nice optioned with vinyl top, side trim, bumper gaurds/strips, etc. I just hope that this one does not even up in a derby either like the 73' Centurion....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Buic...1QQcmdZViewItem

DSC04723.jpg

DSC04720.jpg

</div></div>

The 1974 base LeSabre model had the same door panels as the base 1973 but the 1974 seats were more similar to those of the 1973 LeSabre Custom with the standard interior (the Centurion-like interior was available at extra cost in 1973 on the LeSabre Custom, it became standard in the 1974 LeSabre Luxus).

Guest Shaffer

Ouch - I bet that was a bummer... knowing those panels were to be crushed. frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: festid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No pictures to post, but thought I'd chime in on the issue: Recently stumbled on a '71 LeSabre 4dr hardtop at French Lake Auto Parts (a MN institution for junkyards...) This car was a beautiful rust-free Arizona car on its way to a Demo-derby. I managed to get all the stainless trim off of it before it's date with destiny, but it kinda made me cry to think of those gorgeous rust-free quarter panels getting smashed in, as I work on fabricating the rusted out quarters on my '71 convertible... Not much I could do though, as it was already sold. They let me have anything not-structural off of it. As for odd equipment, it had no cornering lamps, and no power windows or seats, but it DID have a clock, A/C, and speed-monitor. And an AM radio. Where as my convertible had A/C, an AM radio, and dealer-installed light monitors, but NO clock, no corner lamps, no power seats or windows... If only it had 3 on the tree. </div></div>

Guest Shaffer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Philippe Racicot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The 1974 base LeSabre model had the same door panels as the base 1973 but the 1974 seats were more similar to those of the 1973 LeSabre Custom with the standard interior (the Centurion-like interior was available at extra cost in 1973 on the LeSabre Custom, it became standard in the 1974 LeSabre Luxus). </div></div>

Thanks for that info.. I had no idea. I am not that familiar with the 74-76 models options, but it seems like its that 73-74 year range on all GM cars were options/features were odd.

One thing I still find odd is that in 1973 that Buick and Pontiac had standard 2-spoke steering wheels that were not the custom-cushioned examples (on base Catalina and base LeSabre), but Chevrolet went with custom-cushioned wheel, even on the base Bel-Air.

Here is an odd Caprice I ran across... 1973 Caprice coupe - that does not even have A/C, BUT it does have rear window defog, so this was obviously a "northern" car. Exterior is nicely optioned though... bumper gaurds, vinyl top, and side moldings. It is a beautiful car I think. In comparison, I almost bought a 1973 Caprice Estate wagon that was loaded and I mean loaded to the MAX! It had the 3rd seat, A/C (Comfortron), power windows, power locks, power seat, luggage rack, AM-FM radio w/8-track, bumper gaurds/strips, cruise, tilt, power rear gate, etc. I was so excited, then the seller decided to keep it. frown.gif

Anyway, here is the 73' Caprice coupe:

77da_12.JPG

8385_12.JPG

c6d2_12.JPG

Guest Shaffer

1972 Caprice Estate wagon - needs restoration (note woodgrain is completely gone!), but a neat car and not too many this nicely optioned...

He does not realize it, but this is a 402 big block car, so thats one rare option, but it also has A/C (pretty much the norm on these cars), but it also has power windows, power locks, power gate, tilt, cruise and power seat - all of which are fairly rare options. He says it has the ultra rare 3rd seat option, but actually the 3-seat model 72' Caprice wagons were more popular than the 2-seat models.

Here are the 72' Chevy wagon production totals and as you can see, there were more 3-seat Caprice wagons made than 2-seat models...

CHEVROLET-

Brookwood (Biscayne)- 2 seat - 8,150

Townsman (Bel-Air)- 2 seat - 16,482

Townsman (Bel-Air)- 3 seat - 8,667

Kingswood (Impala)- 2 seat - 43,152

Kingswood (Impala)- 3 seat - 40,248

Kingswood Estate (Caprice)- 2 seat - 20,281

Kingswood Estate (Caprice)- 3 seat - 34,723

61df_12.JPG

693c_12.JPG

70c6_12.JPG

6a78_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Very-rare...1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest 63Stude

That Caprice is a beautiful, original-looking car. I typically don't like the '73 Chevys, but like that color and car.

Interesting...either the steering wheel has been replaced (doubtful), or, as was not that unusual back then, the car didn't receive the Caprice standard steering wheel, as an assembly-line goof. The Caprice wheel had a slightly different center with a band of fake woodgrain at the top of the center of the wheel and the word "Classic" in the center of the woodgrain band. This I know from 35 years of looking at the cars, plus owning a 1973 Chevrolet Dealers' Sales Album until a few months ago. That wheel is the Bel Air and Impala wheel.

Still, a beautiful car.

Bill P.

Guest 63Stude

I don't ever remember seeing a '73 LeSabre Custom with the Centurion interior...only a '73 Centurion with the Centurion interior. I know there was no Centurion in '74 and the LeSabre Luxus basically took its place in the lineup (including the sole convertible body style). I remember '74 Luxus models having the notchback front seat with center armrest as did '73 and earlier Centurions.

Question: I can't remember where, but not too long ago I saw a Centurion with a rear-seat center armrest. Is that right? Never saw one before. It was a four-door hardtop, but the upholstery and design looked like I remembered for Centurions.

Bill P.

Guest 63Stude

Thanks for posting the pictures. What a beautiful car!

When I was a kid, if a car had a front-seat center armrest, it was a luxury model...if it had a rear-seat center armrest as well, whoa, that was top-o'-the line luxury!

Just IMHO, when a Centurion had an interior like this, I couldn't see why anyone would want an Electra. I like the cleaner Centurion styling better, and it was probably a tad less expensive.

Bill

Guest Shaffer

As always, you have a sharp eye! laugh.gif I never noticed that, but you are right, that is an Impala/Bel-Air wheel. I am guessing like you - it was a goof, changed out, or perhaps a special ordered item for a price deduction, although I cannot imagine no one doing this, but I guess its possible. The Caprice wheel did have that woodgrain insert and said "Classic" like you mentioned.

I think that on my 72' Caprice wagon that it has the woodgrain insert and says "Kingswood" which is probably the same wheel the Caprice sedan/coupe used (except reading "Caprice". I cannot recall, but I think my 71' Caprice sedan had the same wheel, but it said "Caprice". I am going to look up a photo of my Caprice wagons steering wheel and post it to see....

Here we go... yes, it is: (forgive the dirty interior- it has not been detailed since 1991! eek.gif!

100_6443.jpg

Oh, the engine in this car is completely dismantled... turns out it has a bad camshaft. I am getting a new one installed, as well as other new engine parts. The heads are at the shop now being reworked. I cannot wait to get this car running, detailed and on the road... then its onto some rust repair and paint! smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That Caprice is a beautiful, original-looking car. I typically don't like the '73 Chevys, but like that color and car.

Interesting...either the steering wheel has been replaced (doubtful), or, as was not that unusual back then, the car didn't receive the Caprice standard steering wheel, as an assembly-line goof. The Caprice wheel had a slightly different center with a band of fake woodgrain at the top of the center of the wheel and the word "Classic" in the center of the woodgrain band. This I know from 35 years of looking at the cars, plus owning a 1973 Chevrolet Dealers' Sales Album until a few months ago. That wheel is the Bel Air and Impala wheel.

Still, a beautiful car.

Bill P. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't ever remember seeing a '73 LeSabre Custom with the Centurion interior...only a '73 Centurion with the Centurion interior. I know there was no Centurion in '74 and the LeSabre Luxus basically took its place in the lineup (including the sole convertible body style). I remember '74 Luxus models having the notchback front seat with center armrest as did '73 and earlier Centurions.

Question: I can't remember where, but not too long ago I saw a Centurion with a rear-seat center armrest. Is that right? Never saw one before. It was a four-door hardtop, but the upholstery and design looked like I remembered for Centurions.

Bill P. </div></div>

I haven't seen a 1973 LeSabre with this interior but I have a 1973 brochure and it shows it.

Here's the same page from the old car manual website:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2_itemId=10177

1973buick2425ez4.jpg

I'm wondering how many had this interior.

This is an Estate wagon with the Centurion interior

1055471441973elegantbuinm5.jpg

As for Centurions with a rear seat armrest, the 4 door models had one, like the Wildcat Custom 4 door models (my '65 has one and so did my '68) models and the Electra 225 Custom and Limited.

The coupes didn't have a rear seat armrest (at least, in the 1965-76 period).

I parted out a 1965 Electra 225 4 door sedan and it did have a rear seat armrest but no front seat armrest.

Guest 63Stude

Philippe, thanks for posting that. I have never seen a LeSabre Custom with that interior, but have seen Estate Wagons with the 'Centurion' interior. That definitely shows that it was available on the LeSabre Custom. Wonder why they bothered?

Bill P.

Guest Shaffer

Oh, I have never seen a Centurion with that interior either, but I like it! Its groovy! laugh.gif Thanks for posting that!

I personally have never seen an Estate Wagon with that interior either. I actually never recall seeing a Buick Estate wagon from 71-76 with cloth interior. I really like it though. I wonder what percentage of these had it and was it a 1973 only option? In that same brochure above, it shows a 73' Estate Wagon with that seat.

Not a Buick and we discussed this before, but in 1972 Chevrolet offered a "brocade cloth" interior option on the 1972 Caprice Estate wagons (which basically looks like 72' Impala seats with the brocade interior). I have only seen it shown in the sales brochure, but never on a actual 72' Caprice wagon. Since I have got my 72' Caprice wagon, I have noticed about every 72' Caprice wagon that pops up on ebay or the internet in general and have yet to see one with it. I have seen high optioned models too and a couple with what looks like every option out that was available, but not that particular option. I wonder how many actually had that option. Probably less than 1% I imagine. Basically it looked like seats from a 1972 Impala, which is another strange thing. I thought brocade seats were optional on the 72' Impala, but I read in a brochure where it is standard and the vinyl was optional. Now thats strange.

I found another 72' Caprice wagon on ebay (NOT the one above thats in Arizona, but a different one) and it has power seat, power locks, tilt, cruise, AM radio, rear defog, A/C, power gate, 454 engine, towing package, etc, but does NOT have the 3rd seat, power windows or deluxe wheel covers. I have yet to see two of these identically optioned... probably never will. There was also a 71' Caprice Estate on there that only had A/C, AM radio, 3rd seat and luggage rack... it was green on green. I like it.

OH, I did see a 1972 Buick Skylark wagon (base model) for sale with the speed alert option. I wonder how rare that was?

Oh, kinda OT, but in that brochure, take note of the rear door roofline on the 4dr sedan LeSabre.... its rounded like the hardtop! The artwork was a little off. I seen some of this in the 72 Chevy brochure too! smile.gif

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2_itemId=10175