Buicks at Woodward Dream Cruise

Centurion

Guest 70 Electra

Brian,

As Norb stated, this will be the tenth year. I've been there every single year including the first year, when the event was barely promoted, and attendence was a fraction of what it is today.

While Saturday is the "official" day, the cruising is excellent every night(weather permitting) for at least a week prior to the formal cruise day. Typically Monday/Tues night before DreamCruise day is great (because there are few traffic jams); Wednesday starts to get very crowded; and Thurs night is damn near gridlock. Friday, the action starts about noon, and by dark is nearly as busy as Saturday.

On the official cruise day, all the corporate tents are up and the hoards of spectators arrive. Unless your car is totally immune to overheating, don't even bother to drive it on Saturday! For approx. 15 miles, both sides of the street and every parking lot is FILLED with collectible cars! (Not to mention all that are in the crawling traffic.) Nearly every community along the Woodward corridor blocks off its streets and has its own car show. It is truly a car junkie's Mecca.

Last Saturday night (8/7)--a full 2 weeks before the official cruise--weather was beautiful, and I found almost as many cars parked and cruising along Woodward as you would find during a Tuesday or Wednesday night prior to Dream Cruise day!

Two years ago, while at one of the many impromtu car shows on Monday before the "official" event, a friend of mine was interviewed by one of the local TV news crews. Like most non-car people, the newsies were stunned by this early turn-out and asked my friend if the event had grown into "Woodward Week". He replied, with enthusiasm, "Hell, if this keeps up, it'll be "Woodward MONTH"!!"

As you might expect, I will keep my eye open for interesting Buicks. Anyone who's there and sees me with my 60 Buick, yell out or stop by to say hello! When parked, I will generally be between 12-mile and 14-mile roads. (Epi-center of event is 13-mile.)

As great as some events get to be, even from more modest earlier days, they can become less tolerable to participate in as time goes on. The other side of that deal is that it keeps the past legends of Woodward Avenue alive for those whose parents might have "played that venue" or had friends that did. It's great that the car companies are also involved in promoting the event too!

While the younger enthusiasts might still like to be on the street, in many cases you can have just as much fun by parking your car early, walking around, and watching the parade of vehicles. Just depends on your personal tolerance levels and what your vehicle will similarly tolerate too. One of those situations were you participate at the level of your tolerance and enjoy as much as you can stand.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I hope to gget down there as many nights as possible, but I already missed Monday night doing chores frown.gif. I have lots of family members and car crazy neighbors who want to hitch a ride. I also have some younger nieces and nephews who need to get out and see this. I'll be looking for Buick members, since we seem to be so few and far between.

My buddy in the Olds Rockets club has invited me to park with tem at the Wendy's by 12.5 mile. So I might be centered there on Saturday.

Lets get these Buick's out and drive them cool.gif!

"Dobie" Gilles

Thank you for your replies on this topic. I've heard from another source that there have been many early to mid-1950's Buicks spotted cruising Woodward already this week. It's great to know that the mighty Flint groundpounders are out there!

And, yes, I can understand the concerns about the crowds and congestion. That would be a challenge, especially in hot summer weather.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to run out of "Teds' and I cannot in conscience go to see my 5 lane drag strip turned into a parking lot! I'm sure it is fantastic, but I would rather remember it the way it was. </div></div>

Joe, I have happy memories of running my '68 Pontiac Firebird and 69 Plymouth Fury 440Magnum up and down Woodward Ave. in the late 60's dragracing the odd GTO, Mustang GT etc. Glad to see all the yearning for the good old days nostalgia but you can never really go back smile.gif!

Guest 70 Electra

Although it has been extremely hot (into 90s) at some of the past years' events, this morning's Weather Channel forecast (www.weather.com)for Saturday's Dream Cruise is for a very cool 64degrees! We've been having a cool August, but 64 is another 10degrees cooler than predicted for Friday! Good news is that the prediction for rain is now down to 20%. Oh well, at least it will reduce chances of overheating!

Sorry to hear that fond memories of the "original" Woodward cruising may be keeping some folks away. I don't think anyone has every suggested this event has--or is supposed to have--all the characteristics of the old days....it's just a great celebration of cars and people.

Times have changed, but there's no denying the Woodward Dream Cruise is an opportunity of a lifetime to see more cars (isn't the estimate for Saturday usually 25-35,000?)than you can shake a stick at! I attend many show events in the Detroit area throughout the year, and am ALWAYS pleasantly surprised to see cars at Woodward that I've never seen in my 20+ years living here. They just seem to come out of the woodwork.

I can't begin to remember a fraction of the cars I've seen already, just on Monday and Tuesday night of this week. A few of the new sightings included a gorgeous 59 Bonneville flattop, a nice 62 Catalina 4dr hardtop, and a mint 72 Olds 98 coupe. Among the Buicks spotted were a cherry 72 Electra 4dr hardtop, a red 70 225 convertible, several 69 225 convertibles, a 62 4dr sedan, a 62 Wildcat, and countless A-body Skylarks/GS's. I must admit I kinda gloss over all the Corvettes, Camaros, and GTOs, as there are too many to even look at. (Not to mention all the Kustoms, and vintage hot rods.)

The whole week puts a huge smile on my face, and puts me into car overload....isn't that what it's all about?

I also would like to know if the Buicks will be gathering at any particular spot. I was out last night (Wed) and it was great. SOOOOOOOO many classics and hot rods. My wife and I were trying to take pictures, but you just can't capture all the sights, sounds and smells. Often you could even feel the engine from the car next to you. It is sweet music when another persons engine makes your car shake at a red light and not the bass from their stereo cool.gif!

We will be out again Thursday night and Friday night in our 68 Wildcat convertable. Still debating on Saturday due to the crowds.

Please reply if anyone knows where Buicks could gather.

Duane,

I was out last night as well. Will probably be out there tonight as well as Friday and Saturday. I just picked up my first Buick a month ago and it won't be ready until next year. I have been out with my Father-in-law with his 72 vette.

We have been hanging out in the 16 mile to 11 mile area. Seen a very nice 54Century just south of 13 mile and a modified 55Special in Birmingham. A very nice car but the guy had replaced the nailhead with a chevy crate motor.

Have you been gathering anywhere in particular? I spotted a few nice Buicks on the road last night but I didn't see any gathering anywhere.

Maybe I'll see you out there.

Be safe and have fun,

Rich

Just talked to some local BCA members, Dave and Dayna, out on Woodward tonight, and it's jammed packed. They have seen more Buicks than ever before, and attempted to say hi/hey and they won't even say hi/hey back! Oh well, I said before I'm not going near there. Saw a bunch of stuff on and off trailers driving south on I75 on the way home tonight, including a beige '70 Skylark, that looked pretty nice. But maybe I'm getting too old, to deal with the traffic jam. Would be nice to see the GM displays, Buick, Pontiac, GMC and Powertrain display, which will include the prototype Turbo nailhead, as usual at 13 mile and the rest in Birmingham, GTO's, SSR's Chebbie's etc. Have fun, I'm going to try to work on the race car, and maybe go to a local cruise or to the roundy round races, who knows? That's a day or so away! Try to have fun on the AVE if you go!

Rich and others out on Woodward,

we were out again last night and also saw lots of Buicks. Had a chance to chat with a few as we drove past. One guy in a beutiful 63 Wildcat convertable and another couple in a very sharp 56 Roadmaster convert. I hope to pull off tonight wherever I can find a spot and hopefully a few Buicks. Saw a small group of them (3?) sitting around 12 mile on the west side of the road and 1 guy with a light blue LeSabre convert around 13 mile on the east side. If I can get in there, thats where I hope to park. I'll be out in the red 68 Wildcat with the top down. I'm always looking for Buick folks, so give us a shout, and yell louder if we don't respond. It can be sensory overload out there sometimes! shocked.gif

Guest 70 Electra

Wow! It's been a great week. Today is Friday and a steady drizzle started at 1pm and is expected to continue into the night. Saturday's forecast is NICE.

I've been out each night this week, and took the 60 LeSabre again last night. The odometer rolled over to 10,700 miles....guess I'll have to start taking it easy!

Buick sightings were too numerous to mention, but here's just a few:

68 Wildcat coupe, silver w/ black vinyl top

63 225 convert, in blue

60 LeSabre convert, in light blue

55 Century coupe, white & blue

54 Century (?) coupe, in light yellow w/ green top

69 225 convert, light blue w/ white top

70 225 convert, gold FOR SALE

61 LeSabre convert, white w/ red int

I couldn't even BEGIN to list all the mid-sized Buicks....seems like there were several dozen of the 68-72 models.

The 61 LeSabre convertible was cruising in the lane next to me for a 1/2 mile or so....what an interesting contrast between a 60 and 61 in identical colors!

Hope to see many of you tomorrow!

cool.gif