Water in gas tank - Car spits-n-sputters. HELP!

TomE_1953

When you get a day that hits 74 in KC, MO you can't resist taking the Buick out for a spin. I did and on the way home I stopped to top off the gas tank to make sure it was full before putting her back in the garage.<BR>She was running fantastic all day and once I put the gas (6 gal) in and started down the freeway she started to spit-n-sputter and <BR>she died. I suspect water in the gas that I got. FYI - this was a brand new gas station so I wonder where the water came from.<BR>So far....<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE>I drained the gas tank<BR>Changed the fuel filter<BR>Changed the spark plugs (needed it anyways)<BR>Sprayed carb. cleaner around the carb and inside</UL><P>What else should be done? confused.gif" border="0

I'm a car rookie, but an old boat expert when it comes to breaking down. :-)<P>I used to always have this problem when I was rich and single (before 3 little girls).<P>Go to good boat supply store. They sell stuff that is much better than dry gas. You can mix this stuff with a gallon of water and you can actually burn it through your engine. Basically converts water into gas. <P>They also sell water seperater filter that you can drain the water from the bottom of a glass bowl, but that is more for a boat sitting in a slip for weeks without running it. Causes constant condensation so it is definately needed. You probably have a one time problem and the fluid that I mentioned works great. Keep that tank full to eliminate condensation.<P>I wish I could remember the name of the stuff, but any good boat store should know what it is. Water in the tank is a very common problem in NJ for boats that sit without use.<P>Hope this makes sense and helps.<BR>Joe cool.gif" border="0

Snowmobilers have the constant threat of water in the tank causing icing at the carburator. I've always used isopropanol for controlling water contamination, in Canada we have some at every gasoline station sold in 250ml containers. <P>I don't recommend using methyl hydrate as I have seized two stroke engines inadvertantly because that was all I had laying around, doesn't work as well either. If you have a large contamination, removal is still your best course of action as even isopropanol will only work up to a point.<P>Here's a link that explains the concept better than I can, <A HREF="http://yarchive.net/chem/gasoline_dewater.html" TARGET=_blank>http://yarchive.net/chem/gasoline_dewater.html</A> <P>I have removed actual sheets of ice floating along the bottom of automobile tanks using isopropanol, what that concentration works out to is anybody's guess. I have used up to a gallon to remove the water but didn't drive the car, I only let it idle at high speed for 8 hours to let it burn out. <P>I usually siphon as much as I can then add the gallon and let it idle until it stalls. Mind you this is only done in very cold weather (-30C)and when no other course of action was available, I still recommend draining the tank to get it all out.<P>If you can prove water contamination by sample the stations here are obligated to pay for your repairs, something to keep in mind.<P>I hope this helps.<P>I might be completely wrong, if so please disregard my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

MY GAS PROBLEM RESOLVED!<BR>I found the drain plug on the tank and drained ALL the gas out. Flushed it with a gallon of new and then plugged it back up and changed the fuel filter. Filled it and ran her for 15 minutes and sprayed the carb with cleaner and ran it for another 15 minutes. Runs great now. Saturday she goes on the open road to see how she does at highway speeds. <BR>Thanks to everyone for their input on this problem.<BR> grin.gif" border="0

Question on this subject - where, in view of today's enviormentally correct world, does one get rid of the gas ? I have in the past, when I had to drain the tank - kept it around and ran in in my lawn mower, or mixed it in in small amounts in my daily driver (no more than 10:1) and also put in gas dryer along with it.........any other ideas by chance ? I don't like having that amount of gas sitting around while I cut it into my driver.......though haven't had problems with the driver YET shocked.gif" border="0 , was wondering of there were other alternatives..

Thanks for the tip.......so I suppose the shakin' thing I did before pouring it into my daily drive was the wrong thing to do ??? grin.gif" border="0 ..just kidding - good tip. I keep on forgetting my basic chemistry with things like this, let alone good ol' common sense.