Headlight replacement

Chuck Parry

Manually open the headlights with the knob on the end of the motor. On each side of the headlight are 2 torx screws that hold the bezel in place. Remove the bezel and you will see 2 or 3 either phillips or regular screws holding the stainless steel rim that holds the headlight in place. Remove the rim and unplug the headlight.

a: yes, you can R&R the plastic surround with the headlamps in the up position, does take some wiggling. Be gentle it is plastic & be sure to replace all of the Torx (T-15 I think) screws. Four small screws (2 top and 2 bottom) hold the headlamp in, two big ones are the adjusters.

b: I currently have Sylvania SilverStars in mine & are a lot brighter than stock. For almost as bright and several times the rated life Sylvania XtraVisions are a less expensive alternative.

You can also replace the stock sealed beam with a housing that will allow you to use a more modern bulb. That in turn gives you several additional options. You have to be selective; some of the aftermarket housings do not have very good lens optics. The aftermarket for bulbs in so filled with hype it is hard to know where to begin and end.