engine won't crank

A year ago I contacted this site asking for help with a problem relating to a condition that was diagnosed by Barney (we were going back and forth via e-mail) as having to do with the coil and coil module. My mechanic was well trained in general automotive repairs, but had no experience with Reatta's. I trust my mechanic did all he possibly could to work out the problems, but was reluctant to "start throwing parts at the car, as this could get very expensive". I agreed and we followed his chosen course; that was to keep waiting for the problem to occur while connected to the "diognostics". Low and behold, turned out to be the coil and coil module. He used Delco parts. Several weeks later, same problem. Parts/labor still under warantee, so once the same parts were replaced I was up and running again. Now, only a few thousand miles later, after running smoothe as silk (you know the feeling); however, without warning, she wouldn't start. A friend was driving it, stopped for coffee, and when he tried to start the engine it wouldn't even crank. It was raining out, so he thought moisture was the problem; he jumped it and still wouldn't crank. I told him to try starting with his foot on the brake, and it did turn over once and just wouldn't make even a click or groan after that...towed it to a garage where I'd had it before. Problem. The mechanic that worked on it before was no longer with the company. They've spent about $130 and cannot diagnose the problem...I told them to stop! Maybe you can recommend a Reatta experienced mechanic in the Elgin, Illinois area. Maybe there is a quick fix you could recommend that I can relay to my current mechanic (the car is still at the garage I know they won't rip me off, they just lack experience and Reatta's are different...aren't they? Tried: cleaning bat/terminals, 8 mo's ago new key lock was installed, this may not be related, but the security lite blinks.

I take my car to Suburban Buick where Bob the mechanic has been working on Reatta's since they were new, ask for Kim at the service dept and tell her you want Bob to look at your car. Suburban Buick is located in Wheaton Illinois their phone # is 630-462 8000.

In wet wheather and/or after you wash the engine, the transmission selector switch can get water in it or can get out of alignment.

This switch is on back of the transmission below the Teves brake Unit. There is a vaccuum hose that runs to it.

It can be cleaned up and rebuilt a couple of times. The contact get beat and corodide. kind of trick but a new one is $230

Also change the starter switch and clean the terminals. It is on the steering column above your left foot.

I seem to remember seeing a reference in the manual about the security lite coming on while driving (maybe in the owners manual?). If I remember correctly, it said "do not turn the car off, drive to a service facility". It sounds like a security system problem.

Forget the exotic stuff for now..... you said the engine did crank over a little. I'm thinking starter. The car probably has 100k+ miles and the brushes can go. The Reatta starter is easy to pull and with basic tools and some jack stands you can have it out in 15-20 minutes, pull the back cover and look at the brushes.

The 82k car I purchased was having a starter spin-not engage problem. I pulled the starter and of the 4 brushes, two were about 1/2 worn, one was like new and the last was shot. Once it gets down to the holder, there is no contact.

It could be the security system but not likely...it looks like you can remove the starter interrupt relay that is turned on by the pass-key module, jumper between #1 and #3 (wire from ignition sw to transaxle position switch) to verify if the theft deterent/pass-key is the problem.