Time to get my 63 Riv on the road!

Highway_101

I bought my dream car (1963 Riv) a year or two ago with the engine/trans pulled out due to a bad cam (new parts included). With much thought and debate about how much to do to the engine before putting back in, I have decided not to rebuild it....and just install the parts that came with it. I'll probably add new front and rear seals to the engine and transmission. I want to detail the engine and the engine compartment before installing. Due to time, financial, and skill constraints, I do not wish to have paint mixed and have to spray it out of a gun. I have a couple of questions. Isn't silver the proper engine color for a 401 in a 1963 Riviera? Can this color or one that is close enough be found in a spray can? If so, where do I find it. My engine is not the original color, so I doen't have anything to match to. What color should the Dynaflow transmission be painted? Should the black in the engine compartment be gloss, semi-gloss, or flat? I like to restore things to their factory original look, but sometimes close enough will have to do. I am planning on painting the accessory brackets and pulleys gloss black....is this correct? Any other suggestions before I start would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

If you want to brush your engine paint on I have used the Por-15 engine enamel (Buick Green 53-65) and plan on using it again. Sorry not sure if this would be correct for your Riv. www.por15store.com

The semi-gloss black is my preference for the engine compartment items.

While that engine is out please drop the oil pan and clean it out and check oil screen pick up too.

Dynaflow correct color, not a clue.

Bill Hirsh (paints) out of Newark, NJ also has paints for our Buicks. Listed in Hemmings.

Enjoy! Doug.

Michael,

You are correct in that silver would be the correct color for your 63 Riv engine. CARS Inc has a quality paint, but not cheap. I have used silver engine paint by Rustoleum with good results too. Their primer (for the rustoleum) is necessary. The inner fenders are painted Krylon Semi-Gloss (rattle can).

I would suggest joining the Riviera Owners Association ( www.rivowners.org ) to fing accurate guidance in your resto. The dues are $35 a year. They also have an online discussion group with ongoing Riv topics free to all with an interest in any year Riviera. Good luck, Steve

Thanks all.

Doug, I hadn't thought of brush painting an engine. That sounds like a good alternative to spray cans since I am not set up with a spray gun.

Phil, I have seen a Buick engine painted that Alpine Green.....It sure does look close enough to me (except it's not silver wink.gif)

Steve, Thanks for verifying the silver for me. I will probably pursue the rustoleum silver spray paint option. I saw that "CARS INC" has the paint, but your right...it's expensive, and I see that many are not happy with dealing with that company.

So, anyone know what color the Dynaflow should be....or was it even painted to begin with. If no-one knows, I will probably paint it black or cast-iron gray.

Looking way ahead, how do I restore/redo the red wrinkle finish on the air cleaner.

Thanks again,

I got my Eastwood catalog coming! I won't let the restoration of the air cleaner keep me from getting my car on the road. I do want to make sure I get the engine/trans sealed up and looking sharp before installation. As Doug mentioned previously, I will definately pull the pan and clean it out along with the pickup screen.

If y'all don't mind, I'd like to post my progress. I think it will keep my motivation up and give me some accountability. Next step is getting the engine separated from the transmission and getting it up on a stand.

• 4 weeks later...

Since I am short on free time, and I want to get my Riv on the road soon, I have made a deal with a good friend of mine who enjoys doing fine work on older cars. I am trading him a 1968 Ford Galaxie 2 door fastback for all the labor and parts involved to do a detailed job of getting the engine back together and installed in my Riviera. I have high hopes of this turning out real well. Today I loaded up the Riv on my trailer for delivery to his shop tomorrow. I have attached a picture of my car on the trailer. Check it out.

Say, would anyone be willing to post or direct me to a picture of a nice looking engine compartment on a 63 Riv?

Thanks,

• 2 months later...

Today was the day! I waited from the age of 14 to the age of 28 to own a 1963 Riviera. Now...two years later.....I drove my Riv for the first time. The engine is all back together and beautiful. It is only partial rebuilt, but runs great! The final touch on the engine compartment will be a restored air cleaner assembly that I am purchasing. I will try to post a picture soon.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Michael, we look forward to seeing more photos, and will be especially excited to learn when the Riviera is back on the road.

Keep in mind the Buick-Olds-Pontiac cruise from the Seattle area to Mt. Rainier on August 14. It would be terrific to see your Riviera rolling along the highways!

• 2 weeks later...

I drove the Riv to work (50 miles round trip) almost every day last week. It sure feels good grin.gif. I am still working out some of the bugs. I got the brake lights, dash lights, and rear turn signals to work. I still have no front turn signals or dash "idiot lights". I am a little nervous driving with no idiot lights or gauges. I have put test gauges on it to check oil pressure, engine temp, and charging system and everything was good, but I would still like to have something permanent. My cruise control is not functioning. I had to unplug my blower motor....otherwise it stays on all the time that the key is on. I fear that the Dynaflow is tired. When you start up to go (whether sitting overnight, or just a couple of hours), the trans is slippy for a little bit before it starts working properly. The car also makes sort of a growling noise at slow speeds......like when maneuvering in a parking lot. I don't know if this is the posi making the noise or what. I am still running a temporary Edelbrock carb and chrome air cleaner until my original carb comes back from the shop, and my new restored original air cleaner arrives in the mail.

Brian, the drive to Mt. Ranier sounds fun.....I don't know if I will trust my car for that far of a trip by that time.

I'll post some pics after I get the stock air cleaner on.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael,

A word of caution. In PA if you have a car registered as an "antique", "classic" or "street rod" it is specifically excluded from daily use as a commuter vehicle. It's a $500 fine to be caught driving your antique car to work in PA (the same as if it had no plates at all). I'd be very surprised to hear WA has no such exclusion.

There may be no use exclusion in Washington, or your car may be registered as a normal vehicle, in which case that isn't a problem. However it may well not be covered by your insurance policy under such circumstances. Be sure to check both before you have a problem.

Otherwise, <span style="font-weight: bold">ENJOY!</span> cool.gif

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure that WA and PA have similar rules regarding use of vehicles licensed with a "collector vehicle" license plate. I have read the use restrictions, but they are pretty vague. I don't know how they would interpret the rules if you drove your antique car to work in order to take it to a car club function afterwards. Anyway.....for now it doesn't matter. I have the Riviera licensed as a regular use vehicle (it's only $33.50 per year), and I also am carrying a regular auto insurance policy on the car.

Thanks,

Michael

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ..I also am carrying a regular auto insurance policy on the car. </div></div>

In that case be sure to have an "agreed value" clause in the policy. Should you lose your car in an accident otherwise it will be evaluated as a used car. An obsolete, low-value used car! shocked.giffrown.gif

Thanks again Dave for the good advice. I must confess.....I am carrying liability-only insurance on the Riviera. I am well covered if I damage someone else's property, but any damage to my own car and I am out of luck. It is really all I can afford to carry on the car. It's about $30 per month. Maybe after driving it a while, the new-ness will wear off to where I only drive it occasionally.........in which case I could get a full coverage, limited use antique auto insurance policy. Does anyone here have any suggestions in this regard?

Thanks,

Some Good Finds!

Yesterday I bought a bunch of extra parts from a guy who is selling his restored 63 Riv.

Besides ending up with a lot of little things that I need, I got a full set of spoked spinner hubcaps, AND a full set of the turbine wheel covers.

The turbine wheel covers need a thorough cleaning. Anyone have suggestions on how to make them look nice again?

Thanks,