2004 Great Lakes Regional, August 19-21

HurstGN

When's the last time you had the opportunity to go to a drive-in movie? Did you have at least one person hiding in the trunk trying to sneak in? tongue.gif Wanna do it all over again?

When's the last time you took a luxury boat tour of a city with a fully catered buffet luncheon? Have you ever seen the only 3 identical bridges in the world side by side by side? Have you ever traveled through a river lock like the ones that made the Panama Canal a reality? Wanna experience all this for yourself?

Have you ever seen the custom bodied 1930's - 1960's Buicks built by professional car manufacturers like Flxible? Would you like to see a Buick Ambulance, a Buick Service Car, a Buick Hearse, or a one of a kind Buick limo?

These and many other activities are planned for the 2004 Great Lakes Regional, hosted by the National Pike Chapter of Southwestern PA. Click here to get ALL the details!

Guest my3buicks

The Greater Pittsburgh Area Chapter is looking forward to the event and plan on being there in full force with banners waiving to help support our neighboring Chapter. We look forward to BCA members throughout the GLR and beyond coming to and enjoying our city and what it has to offer. The facilty is first rate and is an excellent place for such an event. It will also make for a great venue for making greater Pittsburgh area Buick owners much more aware of the BCA presence in the region. Members of the NPCSWP also belonging to the Professional Car Society held the PCS National there last year with great success, so that was a dress rehersal for the much more important Buick Show grin.gif With the BCA National being in Texas this should make for a nice turnout for the regional. Looking forward to Buicks in Pittsburgh!!!!!

Dan, I have logged a lot of miles in the trunk! We used to get two and sometimes three in that way. The older cars did not have that big a trunk either. Only one would fit in my 37 Buick, which is what I drove in High School. One person laying on the floor in the back seat covered with a dark blanket also worked.

smirk.gifsmirk.gif

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Lots of room for extras in the trunk of the 77 Joe ,It holds me just fine. Dont ask any questions & I wont be forced to embarass myself by answering how I know that grin.gif Of course there are those who would say its impossible for me to be embarassed but lets just say I wont go looking for speaker wiring in the trunk anymore without someone close by shocked.gif

Dan

Been there done that! As kids we used to wash dads buick while he was at work. We started taking turns locking each other in the big trunk of the '61 Electra. Then we decided to try 2 in the trunk. Oh what fun. Then it was lets try 3 of us. It was fun until we found out that my brother who was in the trunk with me had the key in his pocket!!! Mom had to call dad at work and he had to come home and get us out. We didn't play that game any more.

That is too much fun, I heard through the family that I locked myself in the '56 Buick Century 2 door, and my mom had a terrible time getting me to unlock the doors, we just talked about this last Christmas, and stupid me, didn't get the details. I remember having to get into the house through the windows when my mom didn't have her keys, and she got the storm window out of the way so one of us, 3 kids could get in the house an open the door! I think that happened way to many times if I remember it right. There's lots more stories but not now, do tell, RV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The most embarrasing time in your Buick. Now there's a neat topic for the forum. Maybe even a contest for the Regional meet? </div></div>

Hrmmm, I'll have to take that one under advisement. Although the local Dan's do have a distict advantage over the rest of you, especially if we allow other makes and models be considered....like maybe a Dodge truck. shocked.gif

Don't worry Dan...I won't tell. But I will say one can certainly find amusement in the non-locking of a vehicle access point just as well as the locking of an access point. grin.gif

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Well at least in the case with the truck , there was no way I was getting trapped grin.gif.

I guess Ill just have to confess to this one. My everyday driver is a 97 Dodge Ram pickup, I took it to one of the chapter meetings one night and as is usual for me , I was running late . I parked the truck hopped out , grabbed my things for the meeting and rushed inside the restaurant . When I sat down everyone was looking at me kinda strange , all of course except for Dan (HURSTGN). He figured out what I had just done and was waiting for me to notice too. When I didnt catch on he pointed to the parking lot and asked me if I had forgotten anything. Sitting in the restaurant parking lot , in the rain , was my pickup with the drivers side door hanging wide open, I was in such a rush to get to the meeting I had forgotten to shut the truck door. We had 2 new potential members join us for the meeting that night and I must of made a great impression on these folks when they found out I was Co Director of the chapter , havent seen em since blush.gif

Dan

LOL, at least you didn't get locked in as you said.

My most embarassing time was when I had my 1st 56. A Roadmaster model 72. My brother had bought a set of the Kelsey Hayes wire wheels for his car but gave them to me for the Buick.

They were a bit rusty, but I had good tires, new tubes and off we went to Jones Beach on long Island. The car looked beautiful with those wheels. Two times during the day I went back just to check on it. It was a hot day, and all was right with the world.

Then at 6 pm when we went to leave, I noticed the front tire was flat. Well, okay, I'll have to put on the steel disk spare. Didn't look great, but with an hour's ride to go, I didn't have much choice.

Changed the tire and packed up all the beach stuff. Swung the car out of the spot and figured I'd loop around the circle in front of the main building, to give every one a look see at the wheels on the passenger side when...Thump thump thump. The back tire on the drivers side went flat.

Now I'm sitting in front of the main building and I havent got another spare. It took the service truck drive about an hour to show up, an hour of hell, with many people remarking how nice the car looked and how sad to have two flats at the same time.

I almost wish I had just locked myself in the trunk. grin.gif

Sirloin Tips with Salad Bar - $8.99

Iced Tea - $1.69

Having the room with the windows and watching Dan leave the truck door open as he enters the restaurant - [color:\\"red\\"]<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">PRICELESS!</span></span> grin.giftongue.gifwink.gif

• 4 months later...

Just a friendly reminder time is drawing near for the 2004 Great Lakes Regional. We're actively pursuing having a special Buick display with maybe a concept car or two, or a few new 2005's before they're in the dealerships, or possibly both. Keep watching for more news as time draws nearer.

The National Pike Chapter of Southwestern PA held it's monthly meeting last night at Hoss's Steakhouse in Bridgeville PA. The primary topic of the evening was the 2004 Great Lakes Regional. By a unanimous vote of the members present, the following activity change has been made:

<span style="font-weight: bold"> Due to a lack of response, the Gateway Clipper Cruise has been cancelled. </span>

It is highly regrettable that this activity has to be cancelled, but the lack of response in registering for the cruise forces the club to make this decision. The National Pike Chapter does not have the monetary means to make the additional required reservation payment for the cruise. The general membership also feels it is highly unlikely that at this time that we will get an additional 90 cruise registrations.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Refund of reservation monies</span>

All participants that registered for the Gateway Clipper Cruise will receive a full refund of the Gateway Clipper reservation fees. A check will be in your registration packet for the refund. If you require the refund earlier, please contact us at BCARegional2004@aol.com

<span style="font-weight: bold">*** Replacement Activity ***</span>

By unanimous vote, the National Pike Chapter is holding a Picnic at a nearby park for all registered participants that wish to attend. This activity will be <span style="font-weight: bold"> free </span> of charge and the Chapter hopes more people will participate than had registered for the Gateway Clipper Cruise. This picnic is to allow all the participants to have time together to get acquainted, swap Buick stories, make new friends, and for some of the performance minded, bench racing. As more details become available, they will be posted here as well as our 2004 Great Lakes Regional website.

Changes will be announced on the 2004 Great Lakes Regional website later tonight.

The National Pike Chapter apologizes for any dissappointment this change may cause, but due to the financial responsibilities of this event, this decision had to be made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It will give us "old Guys" an extra chance to kick tires and <span style="font-weight: bold">lie</span>! </div></div>

A HA! So ice cream really wasn't a nickel way back when! crazy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Check your calendars everyone!!!

The 2004 Great Lakes Regional is right around the corner, August 19-21. Due to many late requests for info, we've extended the mail-in registration deadline to August 7th. All registrations after August 7th will be processed as an on-site registration at the higher $35 rate. We've mailed a copy of the registration form to all chapter directors, as listed in the Bugle. If you need a form, ask your chapter director, or visit the web site and print the PDF from the Regional page.

So get your registrations in...and we'll see you in da 'Burgh in a couple weeks!

• 2 weeks later...

We're working hard on last minute details for the Regional. I've just confirmed arrangements with Buick Motor Division...Buick is sending 4 vehicles for display at the Regional. The 4 vehicles are:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]1908 Buick Model 10[*]1939 Roadmaster Phaeton[*]1949 Woody Wagon[*]2000 Blackhawk concept/show car

The National Pike Chapter would like to thank Buick for participating with such a great collection of show vehicles. grin.gif

Well, I'm back on-line again after a week. It has been one very busy week. From what we've heard, everyone enjoyed themselves at the Regional despite the weather. We're lucky the funnel clouds and hail were all north, south, east, or west of us...we just had torrential downpours at times.

Thursday: Folks started getting settled in and acquainted with the facilities. Despite a moderate rain, we had 10 cars attend the drive-in. Just before the movies started, the rain stopped and we had a good time.

Friday: Harold arrived with the big transport. We got the transport situated and everyone headed off for the picnic at North Park. Several of us, myself included missed the picnic, but I heard it went well from those returning. The weather reared it's ugly head for the last time and torrential rain forced the cancellation of the Car Cruise Friday evening. I was disappointed at the cancelation, but there was no other option. Driving at that point was hazardous. I wondered if we could throw together a quick activity to pass the time...not necessary. As Buick owners will do, everyone decided to grab a bite to eat, a drink and tell stories, and a few white lies, and enjoy each others company. What a great group of people.

Saturday: At 5:30 am our "doughnut committee" heads out in the rain in their Wildcat to go get 15 dozen Krispy Kremes for the car show. The counter person asked if they were going to a car cruise with the Wildcat. "Of Course we are" was the reply. The counter attendant looked surprised. Well, the doughnuts arrived and the rain departed. Most everyone (except us working the show) got their cars cleaned up and ready to go. we had a AWESOME collection of cars for the show. Some of my friends came out to see the show. They all commnted that they've never seen this many Buicks in one show, and the quality of the cars was incredible. I second their observations.

After the car show, we had the Hot Wheels races, the car show voting was counted and we prepared for the awards banquet. Mr. Murphy would show his face big-time here. We were unable to print pictures of the winning cars for the award plaques, and we were unable to get 125 of our photos up on the big 9' x 12' video screen during the banquet and awards presentation.

All in all, with some bad weather and things going wrong, we were able to deal with most all of the problems and deliver a Regional. We lost our thunder of a nice multimedia video presentation of awards, we apologize for that. All indications are the show was well received, the goodie bags were top notch, the program guide was top notch, and the prizes and giveaways were well received. So we attained our goal of lots of smiling faces on the Buick owners. That could only be achieved with the patience and attendance of a first class group of Buick owners, and a first class set of of sponsors. The National Pike Chapter thanks everyone involved (participants, sponsors, workers, and volunteers) in our Regional, especially Buick Motor Division. The Buick display topped off an incredible show field.

Thanks everyone for a great Regional!

I've already thanked the National Pike Chapter for a great time on the other (non-sticky) thread reporting on the Regional, but I wanted to reiterate here what an enjoyable event it was. When Dan says the the goody bags were "top notch", he isn't kidding. We each got a printed (gold on black, this is Pittsburgh smirk.gif) commemorative soft briefcase that someone had to tell me wasn't real leather (I'm still not sure)! cool.gif

Most of us spent Friday night sitting around the Sheraton watching non-stop coverage of the storm on TV, yet somehow even that was enjoyable by having the company present to share it with. That the weather cleared up to a bright sunny afternoon for the main show was the blessing the Chapter needed and deserved! I was especially glad that the four brass-era cars were able to venture out on the field. smile.gif

Finally, having the event T-Shirt be an individualized item with your car scanned and printed on it was one of the nicest touches I've seen at a show! cool.gif Now if only mine would've made it. frown.gif (Thanks for the advice Joe Taubitz (The Old Guy), Walt Marshall, Bill Griffin, et al!)

To say the National Pike Chapter coped well with difficult circumstances is a serious understatement. They shined. These guys sewed a silk purse out of whatever they were handed, and the club (I'm sure) appreciates their efforts. I know I did! grin.gif

Thanks again, and congratulations! trophy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we were a little shy on numbers that we were aiming for at our Regional, so for the sake of blame, we're going to blame it on the weather. You may wonder why I bring up this point. Well, due to the lower than expected numbers, the National Pike Chapter has some extra "goodie bags". These soft briefcases were a huge hit among those that attended the regional. We sold some of the extra bags we had to those that attended. We're now offering them to anyone interested in a steal of a deal at $21 each, delivered to your door.

"How do I get one?" you ask. Just send a check or money order for $21 to:

National Pike Chapter

Attn Dan McCann

6571 Zupancic Drive

Pittsburgh, PA 15236

For 5 or more bags, email us at NatPikeBCA@4OnlyGoodStuff.com and we'll quote you a price on reduced shipping charges.

This offer good while supplies last.