can anyone help kick start the old thinker?????

The Middle Tennessee Region sponsored the Southeastern National Spring Meet

June 8,9,& 10 2000 at the Two rivers Mansion in Nashville Tennessee. In front of the mansion there were 2 cars on display. these cars were made in Tennessee. I expect there is a better memory then mine out there somewhere that would not only remember the name of this automible but also where in Tennessee they were made.

I also can not locate the 2000 fall magazine that should have this show story.

thanks for any help........sleepless in Coker Creek

They were from the following companies:Chattanooga in Chattanooga, Bievins made in Knoxville, Memphis was home for Memphis,Southern Six and Tri-State,Nashville produced Cloyd, Cyclette, Harding,Hermitage,McEwen, and Volunteer, The Sherill & Smith was built in Tullahoma. For the record I'm in SOUTHERN Connecticut.

34mayflower, I forgot to welcome you to the Forum,I didn't notice you were new until I made my first reply. Now that photos have been posted I see that the red runabout is a Marathon "30" this car was built in Jackson and Nahsville Tennessee. The touring may be from the same company but I don't have a photo to back that up with.

Guest imported_PackardV8

Yes, i attended the AACA show in 2000 also - driving a green 56 Packard. The marathon factory is still standing here in Nashville and is CLEARLY visible from I-40 just as u pass the downtown bussiness district. I can not remeber the mans name who bought the factory. HE has converted the admin building into 'art studio suites' and office space. The main factory (across the street) is still original as far as i know. Supposedly there will be a M/C show there May 1st. I'll be taking my 56 Cushman. I have been in the factory and 'studio' area some 3 or 4 years ago and maybe once or twice since. The new owner is doing a fine job with the remenants of the site. I pass the Marathon factory at least 2 or 3 times a week. Strange tho, i have not been able to find any web-site.

Almost as interesting as the cars was the display of photos and artifacts that show the building itself and some of the neat stuff that was discovered there. It was amazing to see those vehicles there with so much history available too.

Terry

Terry, I am appalled that you did not mention the two incredible brass cars at that meet...a 1908 and a 1909 Oldsmobile! As rare a sight as you will see. Actually, one of the owners spent the morning trying to fix a cranky carb and he was pretty rare himself after finally getting the car going with minutes to spare. grin.gif

Guest old crank

Barry Walker is the gentleman's name that owns the Marathon factory building in Nashville. He purchased the 1912 K-20 came from a collection of cars in upper New York state and the 1914 Runner from a man in Houston. We are restoring a 1912 model K-20 and spent a few days with Barry going through his vast collection of information on the designers and founders of the Marathon automobile. The Marathon was built from 1908 through 1914, succumbed to poor management, and was taken over by a former sales firm, Herff-Brooks from Indiana who went on to manufacture their own car for a few more years. We know of 5 Marathons in the US and 1 in Australia.

Don & Micky Bohne