Amphicar Movie

Jim Bollman

Since we have several Amphicar fans on the board I was wondering if you have all seen the movie Pontiac Moon from 1994. Just happen to be reading the board while it was on TV. It stars a Pontiac convertible but it co-stars an Amphicar. Oh it has Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen in minor parts.

Takes place in 1969 so lots of interesting background cars.

Jim...

Guest imported_MikeWilliamsUK

On UK television channel 5 there was a one hour program last night (9th Feb) about restoring an Amphicar. Its in a long-running series 'restoration challenge' and is largely a put up job, but nice shots of the Amphicar and some of the restoration.

Mike Williams (UK)

Guest imported_MikeWilliamsUK

Hi Amphicar. The programme was on UK Channel 4 on Monday 9th from 21.00 to 22.00 and was called 'Salvage Squad'. It is a long-running series where a team of three novice amateurs restore something in a week. They were invited by the owner of the Amphicar to take it away and only show it to him again when it was complete. They took it to a general classic car restorer and you see them restoring body panels, making a new petrol tank etc. There is nothing at all about the chassis, and little about the engine. It includes a brief history of how they came to be made and of the designer. It concentrated on extra work needed to become seaworthy and obtain a boat safety certificate. Quite entertaining for general public I imagine. I believe Channel 4 sell videos of their programmes. I'll find details if you are interested.