1988 Buick Regal Limited

Guest nailswede

Guest nailswede

How is the 88´Regal with the 2.8L V6?

I am intrested in one for sale using it as a wintercar/daily-driver!

Is the 2.8 a chevy engine?

0-60 and topspeed?(just curious)

What is K6 for an option??

seller claims in the ad that the car has sportsupension laugh.gif...but he has not answered my mail yet and i am realy impatient and need some answers tongue.gif

It´s here--> http://www.bytbil.com/images/heinmert/RJP325-1001.jpg

The 2.8L V-6 would be the Chevy 60 degree V-6. Very reliable and durable. Performance? Probably about 10 seconds range to 60 and computer limited to about 97mph. Peformance Suspension? Probably should have alloy wheels and a rear sway bar larger than standard. Won't win any drag races, but still plenty of low end and mid-range torque to make things happen from a dead stop. A/C compressor can be expensive to replace, though, but those in the Celebrities tended to work pretty well in TX. Fuel economy should be decent too, but maybe not as good as newer models with their more highly evolved engine management systems.

Remember that impatient shoppers sometimes end up with something they wish they didn't have.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 1

Looks like a Grand Sport to me. Its got the GFX and wheels should have the suspension.Unless someones added that stuff. I had a chance at a 88 or 89 GS with the 2.8 . It had some problem with the heads. i could have had it for 600 and fixed it myself. It was very clean one owner but I'm into the 90* Buick V6's so I passed. A year an a half later I came across a original owner 91 Limited with the 3800 TPI, 1000.00. Has been a great car and a joy to drive, I call it my sports car, it really is compared to the larger H bodys we have. She put 232,000 highway, pampered miles on it. I now have it up to 248,000 and its still great, but the pamperin is over. I have back roads to work. Personally if you like the W - Regal I'd hold out for a 91+ 3800 car. Chevy powered Buicks just aint right.

Guest nailswede

Thanks for the inputs wink.gif

It does not bother me much that the car has an chevy engine

even if i had prefered an 3.8 like in the 85´T-Type Century i had 2 years ago.

0-60 in 10 sek is enough for me for daily driving!!

What is GFX?

The price is fair and car looks good on the pics so i´m stil intrested.

It also has a hitch and that was the first thing that got me looking further,i do have a caravan so that can come in handy.

Also like the interior laugh.gif

Finaly i got some contact with the seller so i have sent him a bunch of questions because its 4-5 ours ride to take a look at it...

more pics and i cant see any GS-badges?-->

RJP325-2041.jpg

RJP325-2061.jpg

RJP325-2081.jpg

RJP325-2101.jpg

That car is obviously the Gransport model.

I'd watch out for that 2.8. If it is the original engine, you will most likely be running into bad crankshaft bearings between 125K and up. Of course if it is over 150K chances are the engine was already replaced, and if that can be verified, then you may get lucky with the newer motor.

There are a lot of nice looking cars around, but what good are they if you can't drive them anywhere?

Take the advice given. Look for a 91 or newer( actually I'd recommend a 93 to 96 which is what I have) with the 3800. The 93 got the electronic shift transmission, and is a kick ass car. Super performance and exceptional gas milage. But these things are usually way under valued and if you can find one, you can usually get it for an unbelievable price. Our son got a 93 2 door GS Regal, with the 3800, and every option including the power sun roof and high powere factory radio, with 61K original miles, for 3K last summer. It is one beautiful car, and it goes like mad.

Oh, by the way, that 2.8 requires you to tilt the motor off it's mounts just to put the spark plugs in on the firewall side. That alone is enough reason to by pass the car.

I owned a 89 Regal Ltd for about 11 yrs, and it had the 2.8. I always

used Molbil 1 synthetic oil in it for two reasons, 1) for all the

qualities synthetic oil add to the engine life and particularly,

cold weather starts; 2)I always thought that wasn't enough engine for that size of car. For every day commuting, it's a nice choice, passengers always had nice comments about the quite ride in mine. Gas milage was decent, never under 20MPG in a suburban Chicago commute, and easily in the mid 30's on the highway. The car in your pictures shows a fairly uncommon "4 place" seating arrangement. I also appears that the owner added some orange reflectors or lights in the center of the rear lights, those aren't original. It is true that the block has to be swung forward to get at the rear plugs, but that's not a frequently needed maintanence item. Early in our ownership experience, the ECM had to be replaced due to an occational stalling problem. That happened 2 times, but after the fix, that car never needed anything other than normal maintianance. Basically it's was one of the better cars I've owned. If I had the choice though, the 91's and later Limiteds & GS's coupes with the 3.8 are one of the better marriages of car & engines that snuck out of GM.

That's a pretty nice car! The "four place seating" would be on the highest trim level, regardless of what it was called back then. Sometimes, Buick could pull off some exotic custom trim like that when other GM divisions could/would not.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest nailswede

The problem is that i cant afford a more expensive newer car for winteruse...

I have to take a loan for this one smirk.gif

Just a few small buicks for sale in Sweden frown.gif

The orange turnsignallenses that is aded at rear are for the yearly inspections here in sweden.

Its an import car from another country,probably Germany but i dont now yet.

Well, Im thinkin maybe the car wasnt marketed as GS in Europe but here that would be a GS. Unless someone got parts and put it together but if so they did a complete job. Or they removed the GS badges and put Limited ones.

GFX is an abbreviation or "sounds alike" for ground effects. The GS had the side skirts and rear bumper aprin as well as a more agressive air dam. This car has all those. Bucket seats and sport steering wheel and floor shifter all GS. Here in the US a Limited would be all chromed or anodized trim. Nice plush velour 60/40 with wood grain. This car has all blacked out trim and grill.

The rear buckets came on 89/90 TGP (Turbo Grand Prix) and Cutlass Internationals. If theres other years and models I'm not sure of. I have never seen a Regal with them but I havent seen alot of Regals interiors.

I would not pass on this car myself because of the interior and shape its in. How often do we use full power anyhow. Thats one nice car and I know how much you'll enjoy it. I had gotten to where I figured I would probably never get a W body but the Regal I bought was to good to pass up. It was bought for a winter car as well, but I love it. You'll see. Pretty agile and very neutral handling.Very little body roll and still a great ride. A little tossy but none of the boat float. I guess its one or the other.

These guys here can tell you anything you need to know about the 2.8, not alot of them left around anymore but these guys have owned them. They'll like the pictures too.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?sid=45f2dab9871f1bd22bb90c8fcbcc4603

Guest nailswede

For what i have read so did not the GS come untill 89 ??

So i think its just options,there was a GT-option among others in 88.

The seller has not answered my second mail yet so i have to call him instead.

Maybe i had to many questions

Or he just what to stay on top on me wink.gif

Click on the File to se a 88 Regal with GT-package

Well I finally dug out my Buick brochures. I have 1988. Your absolutly right. In 1988 there was a "Gran Touring Package" also a "four-seater package". Available models were Custom Coupe and Limited Coupe. It even has a picture of the same exact white car you are looking at. It does not state by the picture that its the Gran Touring Package but it does show the car. Same badges, GFX's, blacked out trim, fog lights, ect.

Interesting point of trivia there.

To bad they had the 2.8 the extra 1000cc's got to make a big difference. None the less that could almost be a collector car. Very rare at any rate. Apparently fully optioned.

Guest nailswede

Well i finaly did take a look at the car yesterday and must say that it was not as nice as it might look at the pics...

So i have to search for another car,pity because its still a nice model!

Thanks for all your help guys! laugh.gif

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...
Guest nailswede
And a right purty one at that!!! How you liking that supercharged 3800?

I like it a lot. Soo much torque. Feels better then most V8's :)

Guest nailswede
I've got an '86 Regal Limited with 53K original miles on it. If you take care of these cars they'll last a long time.... ;)

Nice car you got :)

I never bought the 88 Regal, the 2.8L was very dull..waited 2 years and bought an 97 Le Sabre instead and had that car for about 5 years.

This Ultra 2001 i bought in september is a very rare car over here in Sweden..could possible be the only one

It's an old thread this i bumb from time to time ;)

Nice car you got :)

This Ultra 2001 i bought in september is a very rare car over here in Sweden..could possible be the only one

Thanks. I had a '97 Park Avenue Ultra several years ago and was too cheap to used premium gas and it ran just fine on regular. That supercharged engine sure had plenty of power.... :cool: