Batteries

Bill Stoneberg

Guest Straight eight

Sure enough, I've used Antique Auto Batteries for at least 10 years. Any adjustments are made without question. I bought mine in Lansing Michigan who obtains batteries from Antique. smile.gif

Bill,

I've purchased six reproduction batteries over the past 15 years from Antique Auto Battery in Hudson, OH. These folks are straight, fair, and honest in every way! You need to know this, however. The average expected "life span" of one of their batteries is 4 years. I've had 5 or 6 out of a couple, but only with extreme TLC. You MUST keep a trickle charger on the battery when not on the road. You MUST keep the battery FULL of fluid. You MUST keep the battery in a reasonable temperature. Mine is in a garage that never falls below 50 degrees all winter. You also MUST follow their start up directions to the letter to insure the battery starts it's life on the right foot.

I've had to replace two of their units under warranty, and they were super positive with NO hassle! I met the wife of the owner at Hershey last month, and she actually recalled our phone conversations from over a year ago. That impressed me considerably, since she must speak to hundreds of people each month.

You can purchase from Antique Auto Battery without fear, as they are tops in my opinion and will stand behind their product in every fair way.

Good luck,

Bob Leets

Flint

I to have purchased several batteries from them in the past. Raleets is correct regarding the life span and fluid levels. After 3 years you can start to tell the battery is probably at 3/4 life. The most life I got out of one is 5 years.

Beware storing a battery in a warm building. Batteries like cool storage (not freezing) as they will discharge at a much slower rate. Have used batterry tenders for years with good results.

Pat,

I've not heard of Batteries Plus, but will once again tell you that Antique Auto Batteries in Hudson, OH is a good firm to deal with. Their batteries look original, and they perform very well if taken care of properly. We probably have at least 25 of them under hoods in the Buicktown Chapter, and I've never heard anyone voice displeasure or disatisfaction. No, they're not cheap, but why would you want to mess up a nicely detailed engine with an inferior quality battery that doesn't even look original?

Just my opinion,

Bob Leets

Batteries Plus is a chain that just does batteries, similar in concept to what Interstate Battery has branched off into recently with retail stores in retail centers.

I'll concur with Bob on the originality issue. I might be accused as being too much of a purist, but I like to see the correct maker/style of battery under the hood of a nicely restored vehicle (i.e., Delco for GM, Autolite or Motorcraft for Ford, and Mopar for Chrysler vehicles). When I see a full restoration or a very nicely done car with an inexpensive "auto supply" battery, it just doesn't look right. Plus, if they cut corners on the cost of the battery, what OTHER corners did they cut when they were restoring the car? I will let them slide a little if the battery might not be a repro, but a currently available version of the "correct" brand of battery as that proves intent to me. On the other hand, the "compact" batteries of the same CCA rating do seem a little out of place.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest Roadmaster

I purchased a "12-6" battery ( has a 6v post, a 12v post and a ground post) from Antique Auto Battery in Hudson, OH. I followed all the directions exactly. I have a 1950 Roadmaster and put an alternator on it. It still starts with the accelerator pedal (put a switch under dash). Anyway, the first battery would not get a full charge on the 6v cells. Also, when I drove it my dash got real hot and lost my headlights (I think there was an intermittent short). Called them up and they said I must have done something wrong when I changed to alternator. I sent back to them at my expense (they never mentioned they would pay shipping), she said if any problem they would send me a new one (no questions asked). They said it held charge fine and sent back. I charged up and one of the 6v cells was dead. Called up and they said send back cod (after a heated discussion with him). I did and recieved a new one with no problems since. Turned out okay, but he said I was full of it, that the first battery was good, I packed it up (real pain) twice and paid for the shipping myself once. Good looking battery though. Their products do look original. Just thought I should mention my problems.

I'll probably end up going with Antique Auto Battery since I'm something of a purist myself. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience Steve, I've had that happen with highly reputable companies too and I always seem to end up paying out more than I think I should have to. The reason I threw out the name of Batteries Plus was just to see if anyone had dealt with them before. They say they can make any battery you need, but they probably mean in terms of size and amps, but maybe not when it comes to appearing original. I'm going to check them out one of these days just out of curiosity.

Pat,

I too have had to return two different batteries to Antique Auto for check/replacement over the years. In both instances THEY covered the cost of shipping via a UPS "call tag", no argument either time.

Yes, draining the battery and packing it up is a royal pain, but no more than scrubbing filthy wide white tires, or polishing all the chrome on a mid 50's Buick! The "pain" is just a matter of perception, I suppose.

I would strongly recommend you SAVE the original box and packing materials that Antique Auto uses to ship your unit. It is PERFECT! Remember, they have shipped thousands of these batteries all over the world during their existance and they've got it down to a science. Hopefully you will never need to use them, but if you do, you'll be glad to have the original box, etc. for the task.

Once again, I am a big fan of their products in every way. Once you truly understand that they don't last "forever", you will also love their products.

Good luck,

Bob Leets

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Bill,

I have to fully agree with Bob Leets in his assesment of Antique Auto Battery.

I have used them over the years as well. The make a good product, that also looks like the original.

It is very important to make sure that your electrical system is performing completely up to specs, as it is too easy to blame those reproduction batteries when one fails.

I have one in my 1959 Olds for 7 years! Yes you must either take it out of the car during the winter storage period, charge it up at least once a month, or hook up one of those pluse chargers that are designed to knock the sulfication off the battery plates to insure it's longevity.

I do believe that Antique Auto BAttery also sells that piece of equipment.

I have all Antique Auto Batteries on all of my antique cars.

Scott Mich

Assistant Director

Chicagoland Cahpter