Trailer Wheel Broke - Cause?

RansomEli

I have a small, 14-foot camping trailer. While towing the vehicle, the wheel broke off the hub. 

Questions:

1. Is this a common occurrence, or a rare event?
  2. Any suggestions on what caused the wheel to break? Metal fatigue? Chinesium wheels?

This has never happened to me before. The wheel was definitely NOT overloaded.

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

• Like 1

From the looks of it I'm guessing metal fatigue.  That it failed in a symmetric manner surrounding the bolt holes seems to suggest that the wheel had some significant camber (or possibly excessive toe-out).  The first thought would be loose lug nuts, however, the holes look OK; not elongated as if they were repeatedly chewed by the studs.  What is the condition of the wheel bearings?  Could the axle be loose, mis-aligned or bent...?

• Like 1

I'm guessing this was not a sudden failure........meaning that wheel has been cracking for some time. 

If you have owned the trailer since new,  I would think you would have noticed the cracks at the 5 of the 7 triangular cutouts. 

One possibility is the wheel/rim and hub are not compatible.   If the hub did not support the rim past the wheel studs that would

cause stress in the area of the lug nuts.    

• Like 2

I agree with the above 👆 

trailer wheels, tires, axles and bearings take a beating when making slow turns and the tighter the turn the harder it is on the parts , especially on 2 axle trailers.

Just wondering if your trailer has 2 axles?

it definitely looks like it has been cracked for some time. I would like to see more pictures.

Trailer,back of the wheel, hub and edges of the broken parts.

I’m curious of how rusty the cracks are?

John

• Like 2

Thanks for the above responses. I should have inspected the wheels more carefully (it is a two-wheel trailer) and replaced the wheel.  

I'm taking a close look at the other wheel and the two spares. 

Your advice is appreciated.

• Like 2