Does your dog like your old car?

My go-to drivers for my old car fix is a 1951 Plymouth Cambridge, a 1923 Dodge Brothers Roadster, a 1927 Willys Knight and a soon to be operational 1929 Fargo Express panel delivery.

Being fully retired I can spend as much time spending money on these old cars as I spent making it before I retired.

My companion is a mixed breed Terrier-Schnauzer, about 17 years old, who spends a lot of time with me as I minister to my old machines.

I believe a dog has senses which extend far beyond those we humans are endowed with. And I also believe that animals, in this particular case dogs, are far better judges of human behavior than we (humans) are.

This sentiment includes a belief that dogs can sense the presence, and react to, the presence of the souls of those who have passed on.

Our old cars are the repositories of millions of hours of human emotions, passions, fears, desires and sometimes, a recipient of our frustrations and accomplishments.

Therefore, it is only expected that a machine, which relies on the same sort of systems a human body depends on to exist, is also capable of hosting a spirit which no longer in possession of a physical body.

My question here is prompted by the reaction my own dog shows to my old cars, and could possibly reflect her being able to sense the spirits they host.

Boo, my dog, is ecstatic every time I bring out the Willys for a drive to the cemetery and the opportunity to relax in the back seat as we cruise a coastal back road appears to be a much appreciated treat.

On the other hand, if she even senses I am about to take the Dodge out of the garage she immediately disappears, and, although a superbly obedient dog, refuses to come when I call her. If forced, she will mount the vehicle and lie passively on the seat as if anticipating the time the ride is over. In a few words……she simply doesn’t like the car but will tolerate it.

The Plymouth gets a rather bland rating in the dog favoritism arena, and she will take a ride with me in the back seat of the car, but lacks any of the enthusiastic or exuberance she shows when a ride in the Willys is on hand.

But, the question deserves attention as to why she doesn’t even want to be outside while I am working on the Fargo. I seems as though her reaction to the truck is exactly the same as if I had chastised her for tracking mud inside or gave her some food she did not like.

Personally, I feel a connection to those who relied on these vehicles for their identities, income and pleasure, so there must be something there too…….but my sentiments does not extend beyond what I interpret a “spirit” to be, and that is constructed to include only the things I understand as a human being.

So, it is a weekend, time for boating, fishing, BBQ’s, family and fraternal gatherings and whatever other recreational activity you choose to enjoy.

Or, since you are on a computer forum instead, maybe this is something which interests you…….and your opinion would be appreciated.

Oh, my 1947 Ford 8N tractor is a separate story altogether. My dog seems to love it……and is always no more than a glance away as I turn acres of weeds into acres of mulch. But, she will not climb on to it for a ride. No violent outbursts of growling or bite attempts, but true to her passive nature, simply lying down, going limp, and looking at me as if asking…..”You want me where”?

Jack

• Like 1

Thats funny how your dog does not like the one car. One has to wonder why?

I have taken one or two of mine for a ride in the trans am, but none of them run to the door when I go someplace.

However, Suki has been known to sneak out of the house and take her moms Mustang for a cruise around the block now and then😆

53202276819_81ac47a704_c.jpg2023-09-20_05-06-31 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This happened a few years back and not exactly MY dog but he sure liked the ride.

My 57 Buick was very recently finished with it's body off restoration and we were at a local show. For pretty much the entire day there was a big old mutt type dog running around the show field. He was having a BLAST. Just running and grinning the whole time. Stealing food, pissing on things, getting both petted and yelled at. I saw him getting a drink in the men's room (guess from what). The whole time my wife was fretting about what would become of him when we left. She just knew he was abandoned or lost.

I could see the hand writing on the wall.

When it was time to go she said "we are NOT leaving that dog". So.... there  he was. Sitting in the back seat with my wife, a seat that had NEVER before been sat upon, with his tongue hanging out and a big shit eating grin on his face, while I drove them from house to house looking for his owner.

We eventually did find his owner who said "yeah he does that but thanks for driving him home."

All's well that ends well............Bob

• Like 3
  • Haha 1