For Sale: 1966 AMC Rambler Classic 770 Convertible - $6,000 - Somerville, MA - Not Mine

58L-Y8

For Sale: 1966 AMC Rambler Classic 770 Convertible - $6,000 - Somerville, MA

1966 AMC Rambler Classic for sale by owner - Somerville, MA - craigslist
Seller's Description:

This is a fun convertible with a newly rebuilt engine (under 2000 miles since rebuild). Runs fine, no body rot. Currently on the road, recently passed Mass. inspection. Clean title.  There are some problems of course!
Lots more details and pictures here: https://tom-and-marna.neocities.org/rambler/

From the website:

Runs fine, No body rot. Recently rebuilt AMC 287 V8 engine with under 2000 miles since rebuild. Car odometer shows 100,800 miles, although I have no idea if that's accurate. Drum brakes on all 4 wheels. 3-speed automatic with a weird "start in 2nd gear" mode. All main systems work heat, convertible top, wipers, AM radio, lights, etc.

Weird, fun, obsolete tech: Vacuum-powered wipers! Washer fluid foot pump!  Less fun, obsolete safety equipment: Lap belts! Tiny side mirror!  Comes with an original repair shop manual, which covers all mechanical and body repairs. This car is on the road, has a clean Mass. title, and recently passed standard Mass. inspection (Sept. 2024).

There are two main problems with the car. You could choose to fix them, or just choose to live with them, as I've been doing.

The car is not watertight. When it rains, it must be kept in a garage, or under a car cover. Fixing this would involve refurbishing the convertible top and replacing the damaged/missing weatherstripping from around the windows. I'll give you my car cover, but it's getting old, and you'll want to replace it before too long.

• exhaust is both dumb and incompetently installed (by a prior owner).
    • It's dumb because it's a dual-pipe system with loud "performance" mufflers on it. But, this is not a muscle car! This is a car designed for stodgy 1960s suburban dads who voted for Nixon. It should not be loud.
    • It's incompetently installed because the rear suspension can strike the dual mufflers when going over bumps. The car's suspension was designed for a single exhaust with a transverse muffler.
    • The correct fix is to rip out this system, and replace it with a factory-style, quiet, single-pipe system.

There are, of course, other minor problems with the car, as you'd expect with a 60-year-old car that's selling for $6k. For example:

• The dashboard gas gauge is broken (currently supplemented with an Arduino)
  • There are some paint scuffs on the right side
  • One wheel cover is missing (they are not originals... I think they're off of an old Buick maybe)
  • The car occasionally is reluctant to start when hot (but starter fluid always works)
  • Passenger visor is broken
  • Probably more

Looking for $6k cash, firm. No trades please.
Copy and paste in your email: b1f08c68c81935d9a6960f58c5f84580@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1966 AMC Rambler Classic 770 Convertible.
The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, edited by John Gunnell states 1,806 1966 AMC Rambler Classic 770 Convertibles built.

'66 AMC Rambler Classic 770 Conv MA a.jpg

'66 AMC Rambler Classic 770 Conv MA h.jpg

'66 AMC Rambler Classic 770 Conv MA b.jpg

'66 AMC Rambler Classic 770 Conv MA c.jpg

'66 AMC Rambler Classic 770 Conv MA i.jpg

'66 AMC Rambler Classic 770 Conv MA d.jpg

'66 AMC Rambler Classic 770 Conv MA f.jpg

'66 AMC Rambler Classic 770 Conv MA g.jpg

'66 AMC Rambler Classic 770 Conv MA e.jpg

• Like 2

Owner gives a refreshingly honest appraisal!

Somebody painted the engine with, it looks, like later AMC engine turquoise.

The 287's were metallic blue, 327's red.

Simulated wire wheelcovers were an option- they were the same as some GM offered. Different centers, which can be removed and retrofitted. '65 had "knock off" blades with a red "R". '66 would have silver "American Motors" medallions.

Looks like the dash was cut for a stereo at some point, and a homemade plate added to refit an original radio.

Interior redone, non-factory.

Good catch on the lower dash.  I didn't think it looked quite "right" but couldn't put my finger on it.  Rear seat speakers are unfortunate mods.  Seats have been recovered in a theme close to the spirit of the original.  Think rest of interior is original.  Definitely a well used driver but if the body is solid it's a deal for a V8 Mid 60's drop top.  One of AMC's best looking and most conventionally styled platforms.   Went head to head with Fairlane, Chevelle, etc. with no excuses needed.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

An automatic transmission "starting in second gear" wasn't weird in 1966...

Wonder what the seller would say about a Dynaflow?😀

I like this Rambler. 

No it wasn't.  You could start it in first or second depending on where you put the gearshift lever.  I believe Ford did something similar.