For Sale: 1956 Plymouth Belvedere 4dr Hardtop, 58K miles - $24,950 - Omaha, NE - Not Mine

For Sale: 1956 Plymouth Belvedere 4dr Hardtop, 58K miles - $24,950 - Omaha, NE

1956 plymouth belvedere for sale by owner - Omaha, NE - craigslist
Seller's Description:

One year only body style 4 door hardtop, 277 ci motor, pushbutton automatic, PS, PB, New tires, dual exhaust all chrome very nice, no rust, new trunk matt, all interior great except small wear where the driver seta, new battery, Radio not working, repainted once to original colors, takes regular gas. This is a very nice running and driving car and it is in Omaha Nebraska or for more information. odometer: 58,000
Copy and paste in your email: fd6f2b6f47373b1e8174103c13c72104@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1956 Plymouth Belvedere 4dr Hardtop.
The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, edited by John Gunnell states 17,515 1956 Plymouth Belvedere 4dr Hardtops built.

'56 Plymouth belvedere NE a.jpg

'56 Plymouth belvedere NE b.jpg

'56 Plymouth belvedere NE c.jpg

'56 Plymouth belvedere NE d.jpg

'56 Plymouth belvedere NE e.jpg

'56 Plymouth belvedere NE f.jpg

'56 Plymouth belvedere NE g.jpg

'56 Plymouth belvedere NE h.jpg

'56 Plymouth belvedere NE i.jpg

'56 Plymouth belvedere NE j.jpg

'56 Plymouth belvedere NE k.jpg

• Like 5

'56 was the first Chrysler Corp. four door hardtop.  For this one year only, the "folding" mechanism for the rear door glasses and quarter window glasses was totally unique.  Seller's claim is justified in that sense. 

For that matter, the way the two framed glasses fold down into the door may be unique to the world automotive industry.  Can't remember any others in my experience.  If you haven't seen this "fold" happen in person, or in a online-video, look around to see it happen.  Pretty special.

The '57+ Chrysler line four door hardtops had a fixed quarter window back into the roof, rather than as part of the door.

• Like 1

Here is a '56 Chrysler Windsor Nassau with Chrysler Corporation's solution to retract the rear door windows and allow the main window to fill the vacant B-pillar space when closed.  It appears to be a unique solution, given the four-door sedan bodies weren't originally designed to accommodate this new style.  I'm sure the non-functional, "vent" window caused some consternation among longtime Mopar owners when they realized it wasn't a functional vent window like they were used to. 

'56 Chrysler Windsor Newport b.png

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, StillOutThere said:

For that matter, the way the two framed glasses fold down into the door may be unique to the world automotive industry....If you haven't seen this "fold" happen in person, or in a online-video, look around to see it happen. 

I agree that that window arrangement is

interesting!  To illustrate, here are pictures I took

at Hershey in 2011 and 2012, showing a 1956

Chrysler Windsor.  The small rear window

actually goes THROUGH the post of the

window ahead of it:

1956 Chrysler Windsor 4drht-David Sharp-Potomac Md.JPG

Hershey-1956 Chrys Windsor 4drht-David Sharp-Potomac Md (2).JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2