65 brakes

dlcoop

Redoing all the brakes on my 65 electra.  For the life of me I cannot remember where the link for the self adjusting brakes goes on the front .  I have the back but with both springs on to hold the shoes  no slot to install the linkage.  Pic included.  (this old age is really getting to me)

DSCN0881.JPG

That assembly looks odd to me. Isn't there a pusher shaft that goes from the rear shoe to the front shoe? It should have a oblong spring on it on the front shoe side? And the link front the top of the self adjuster may go to the same location as the upper spring on that rear shoe. But also the shoes look to be the same length in the material? I think the front shoe should be shorter?  

• Like 1

The rears have those bars between them.  The fronts do not (at least they weren't on when I took it apart).  Service book only shows pics of rear brakes.  Rear brakes are 2" wide and the fronts are 2 1/4 wide. When I attatch that link for the adjuster it doesn't look like it has enough room but for only the spring to attatch.

20 hours ago, dlcoop said:

The rears have those bars between them. 

That's correct; the bar is part of the parking brake mechanism.  It engages the shoe opposite where the cable attaches.

• Like 1

Hi this may help, go to page 9 on this forum,July 7th,2023

highlighted —-with—-40year Riv.

I had to fit brand new shoes,sorry I have other photos on computer,but can not access them

doing this on phone.

Edited by Wayne R
Date (see edit history)

I apologies I realise now that I should not put the particular page listed ,because

It moves up in page numbers as time goes on,.

E79E911D-1CA3-4ABE-A001-08314DC86DF8.jpeg