Left rear weel scratches the weel housing, Buick -36

Tomas

Hello

There is a lot to learn on a car model that is new to me and the knowledge in this group is very valuable to me, I hope you have a solution.

I was aware of the problem last winter when I got the car home and suspected the rear wheel bearings but don't really believe it anymore. If I have passengers in the back, the inside of the tire scratching the wheel housing (see pictures). But that's only when there are bigger bumps etc on the road, not when traveling on good roads. How is that possible? The wheel must maintain the vertical angle during suspension, right?

I have changed to new tires and a spare rim rim, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the rim but anyway. If I measure when standing still, it is 2.16 inches between the inside of the tire to the inside of the wheel housing towards the back seat. It's quite a big change in angle for it to scrape the wheel housing.

Thank you for your knowledge

IMG_1095.jpeg

IMG_1094.jpeg

IMG_1093.jpeg

We don't know if the car is new to you and you just noticed the rubbing or if you have owned it for a long time. 

I would measure both sides with the tires on the ground.... measure from the tire rubber to the inner fender........are they the same?

One rim might have more offset than the other..... putting it closer to the inner fender. 

and as Larry suggested worn rubber parts in the suspension could allow the axel assembly to shift on bumps and in corners. 

Its new to me and also the model. I know they have renovated all front end but not the rear, 

I measured and it was almost the same and I change rim with no difference on the offset.

I could be worn rubber as Larry said, I have to check it out.

Thanks for the reply

My Swedish friend once told me a big Finn could rock and shove a car around while the owners lies under it watching the action. Two would be better if you put one in the back seat. Lots of huffing, puffing, and grunting should get the problem pinpointed.

5d6ee4d3-d53b-4399-a987-329590fdd378-XXX_ZX20791_.webp.a5bcac6745be4eed5dd052263f7d7433.webp

• Like 2
  • Haha 1