Year for Stevens Duryea Headlamp?

MarkF

In the first place, it is not a headlamp. It is a tail lamp. The yellow flame of kerosene shining through the green lens makes a reddish light. Era? Fairly early, with the bale handle, likely about 1905 to 1910. Someone more familiar with lamps of those years should be able to pin it down more precisely.

Yes, correct. It is a sidelamp. The green lens is not original to it but was added later. You can see where the brass door has been worked over to fit it in. It would have had a small red jewel in the back but that is missing. There has been a similar lamp for sale on evilbay for some time with apparently no interest.  Unfortunately not many Steven's Duryeas being restored these days. It may be worth something to a collector. 

Terry

A good example of a rare part that there is practically no demand for. How may pre-1910 Stevens-Duryea cars even exist...probably less than 20 and what proportion of those need side lamps. One of the most unrealistic things about ebay sales is that the sellers rarely recognize that even if something is rare there may be nearly no demand for it. That lamp would probably be easier to sell if it didn't have the car name on it...though if I had a Stevens, I'd want the one with the name.

• Like 1

For whatever it is worth? "Sam" Gurnee (RIP), a past president of the HCCA, had a 1907 Stevens Duryea touring car. I was fortunate to tour alongside it on a few Regional Group tours. Fun to follow, and a good performer for 1907 standards. I have no idea what has become of his car in recent years.

10 hours ago, 1906 lozier said:

Wayne, sam's car is up here in Washington state. is now owned and enjoyed by the  Zordich family.

Thank you for that! I often wonder about many of the cars of people I was able to know years ago.