Overheating Engine - 29 Whippet engine in our 27 Whippet and we have had some issues with the water boiling over

We are running a 29 Whippet engine in our 27 Whippet and we have had some issues with the water boiling over. Generally this only happens on very hot days (90 degrees +), and only after driving the car for an average of 20 minutes or more. We have pulled the radiator and back flushed the system (everything was pretty clean) and we have checked the water pump and the impeller appears to be moving the water. We have done some research on the Internet and we have some period repair manuals, however they all seem to say the same thing, check the pump and flush the system. We are using an original radiator that appears to be in very good shape with no leaks and does not appear to be clogged anywhere. I know that old engines sometimes over heat and it may just be the hot weather, however any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Overheating Engine - 29 Whippet engine in our 27 Whippet and we have had some issues with the water boiling over

Is the radiator a cellular or honeycomb type? Cellular type (including honeycomb) radiators are notorious for developing scale inside over years of use with dirty or hard water. They can be very difficult even practically impossible to clean.

However, there is a heated and circulated "Evaporust" method of cleaning them that has had remarkable results! I am lousy with searching websites, but edinmass went to great lengths a few years back to chronicle in detail the process with great results. Several people have duplicated his method with similar results.

It is of course very possible that the engine itself is your problem. Do have any history for the engine?

If I recall correctly, 1927 Whippets were only four cylinder models, and a six was added to the line in 1928. Both fours and sixes were continued until the Whippet was rolled back into the struggling Willys.

Carburetion and/or ignition issues or adjustments can cause overheating of the engine. Head gasket failures or cracked blocks or heads can also result in overheating. The worst overheating I ever had in an antique automobile was a model T Ford with a crack in one of the combustion domes in the head.

Good luck and welcome to the forum for antique automobiles! WE hope you stick around and become a regular here.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 1

What are you using for coolant? The “standard” 50/50 mix does not transfer heat as well as straight water. During the hottest months, I use a higher percent of water and add Water Wetter. It runs cooler and recovers more quickly.

Are you topping off the radiator to just below the overflow?

In these cars the radiator top tank acts as an expansion tank. As the water heat it will increase in volume.

With an inferred non-contact thermometer check the upper and lower radiator temp as well as the front and back of the head and block.