Cunningham Town Car w 36 Ford chassis $35k

This is a bit unusual.  

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/broad-brook-rare-1936-ford-cunningham/7768988664.html

Looks pretty good either for an early V8 guy who has everything already or? "Application consideration" for CCCA I would guess.  No different though than the Ford based Brewsters I believe are Full Classics.

00y0y_8yBOpjpV9b1_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

• Like 5

Contact information and photos for the record:

Copy and paste in your email: 21218f48fe133991a051916bf13e262b@sale.craigslist.org

'36 Ford Cunningham Town Car CT a.jpg

'36 Ford Cunningham Town Car CT b.jpg

'36 Ford Cunningham Town Car CT c.jpg

'36 Ford Cunningham Town Car CT d.jpg

• Like 1

To me it needs the right buyer though. 

Not saying it's overpriced as I don't know but I do know you can get an open 35 - 36 Ford in nice condition for around his ask.

• Like 1

I'd be interested to know who these were originally marketed to. Seems like you'd need to be connected with Ford to want one hen they were new. 

21 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

I'd be interested to know who these were originally marketed to. Seems like you'd need to be connected with Ford to want one hen they were new. 

By the mid-1930's, there was still a small but diminishing market for the chauffeur-driven, carriage-trade formal town cars.  In the tenor of the times, it was unseemly to flaunt one's wealth so a high-quality. coach-built town car on a plebian chassis was perceived as more socially acceptable.  Brewster, Cunningham and Derham were trying to develop a niche that would allow them to continue in the coachbuilding, but it was mostly over with.

Sorry, I forgot Rollston/Rollson was also participating in this dying niche.

Edited by 58L-Y8
addendum comments (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2