c1925 Sedan ? Taxi ? Limousine ? Coachbuilt ?

64pontiac

I wonder if those are thin steel discs covering wire wheels. That became a common thing in the English and European areas in the very late 1920s and early to mid 1930s. Wire wheels there were much more common there than in the USA due to Europe's lack of suitable wood for making wooden spoke wheels. Wire wheels were a pain to clean, and as they became more "old-fashioned" in later years, it became common for high end automobiles to cover them. Hobbyists and restorers in the recent seventy years have usually left them off wire wheels.

Although not so common that early, I have seen era photos showing such discs as early as 1910.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2024 at 6:30 PM, wayne sheldon said:

I wonder if those are thin steel discs covering wire wheels. That became a common thing in the English and European areas in the very late 1920s and early to mid 1930s. Wire wheels there were much more common there than in the USA due to Europe's lack of suitable wood for making wooden spoke wheels. Wire wheels were a pain to clean, and as they became more "old-fashioned" in later years, it became common for high end automobiles to cover them. Hobbyists and restorers in the recent seventy years have usually left them off wire wheels.

Although not so common that early, I have seen era photos showing such discs as early as 1910.

Anyone know anything about these, or have better photos showing the overall design more clearly?

image.png.65b16b42024b69751ff0692be578bd07.png

2 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Anyone know anything about these, or have better photos showing the overall design more clearly?

image.png.65b16b42024b69751ff0692be578bd07.png

I saw that the first time I looked at this photo. I zoomed in and looked it over as best I could given the lack of detail clarity in the photo. But I couldn't make out enough of the item to form a reasonable opinion about it. It might be a fender marker or parking lamp? A few areas in the United States and several countries around Europe required marker or parking lamps on many automobiles. The apparent only forward facing lamp makes me question the marker lamp idea as they often faced both forward and backward such that they could be seen from both directions at night when the car was parked.

I have seen a lot of era photos and cars of European origin with fender lamps similar to that one. My understanding is that some European countries required lamps on the front fenders.

• Thanks 1