Nice ragtop but what make ? Late 20s / early 30s

64pontiac

1929 Pontiac. The photo below has wire wheels, but the indian hood ornament and the beltline that wraps to the windshield are give-aways...

Frank

1929 Pontiac Six Roadster  Chassis no. P484404 image 2

• Thanks 1

Most General Motor's makes offered steel disc wheels as an option in the mid 1920s at least to 1930. Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, and even some Cadillacs used Jaxon steel disc wheels. I have also seen Jaxon steel discs on a couple Buicks, but the disc wheels never seemed to be popular with Buick buyers.

Those wheels do not look like any of the Jaxon wheels I have seen. But some GM cars did get steel discs by some other supplier. I don't recall their name offhand.

• Thanks 2

The only picture I have seen of a car wearing disc wheels as on our mystery car is in the Crestline book 75 Years of Pontiac Oakland.  It is a 1926 Oakland. Our mystery appears to have beauty rings which the car in the 1926 photo does not.

As mentioned elsewhere disc wheels were always an option in that era. Our 1926 Pontiac wears Motor Wheel disc wheels, which are a little different to the Baker wheels used on contemporary Chevrolets. Unlike the mystery car theses wheels are non-detachable much as the typical wooden artillery wheels of the period are. 

I found the information about or Motor Wheel wheels from the relevant parts book. Maybe someone has the Oakland and Pontiac parts book from 1929 which will help supply the necessary information regarding our mystery car.. 

John Gillman photo crop.jpg

In contrast this 1924 Oakland in New Zealand has what appear to be detachable disc wheels. photo from 2022.

24 0AKLND Sath Flickr Akl 0322.jpg

As does this one, also shot in New Zealand, but in 1960.

60 61 reg sticker Peter Rafferty and Mum Hokitika 1123.jpg

• Like 1