55 Special Vacuum Pump Pipes

M1842

Is there an inlet side and an outlet side for the vacuum pump?  Mine had the pipes completely removed before I got it so I don't have anything to go on a day she shop manual is silent on this.  I can feel two holes, one facing forward and one facing towards the firewall.  Or does it not matter?

Mark

Edited by M1842
Mia (see edit history)

• M1842 changed the title to 55 Special Vacuum Pump Pipes
17 minutes ago, 37_Roadmaster_C said:

It matters!  I am not sure on the 55 but on the 37 the one facing the front of the car goes to intake manafold vacuum port and the one facing the firewall goes to the wiper switch/valve.

Thank!  That seems logical!

I just rebuilt one for a friend, here is a photo when done and painted, another photo of pump installed on car, notice connection to front pipe

I purchased rebuild kit # FPA-231 from Then and Now Automotive as @old-tank suggested in another post.

Bob

EDIT: Then and Now Automotive phone number 781-335-1925

Here are couple photos of contents:

IMG_8694.jpeg

IMG_8696.jpeg

IMG_1932.png

IMG_1931.png

Edited by NailheadBob
Update (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NailheadBob said:

I just rebuilt one for a friend, here is a photo when done and painted, another photo of pump installed on car, notice connection to front pipe

I purchased rebuild kit # FPA-231 from Then and Now Automotive as @old-tank suggested in another post.

Bob

IMG_8694.jpeg

IMG_8696.jpeg

Thanks for the info.  So you had a short curved piece on the pump and used a flexible hose to connect it to the metal line coming off the manifold?

Mark